• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhooks in the USMC

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone,

So obviously I'm not a total FNG here anymore and I've been doing my research about joining the Navy after I graduate as an aviator or NFO. I had been pretty much dead set on joining the Navy, but lately I've been giving more consideration to the Marines. I'm kind of of liking the whole "every Marine is a rifleman" aspect of the Marines and I think I would actually enjoy TBS, as messed up as that sounds.

That said, my ultimate goal has been to fly tailhook aircraft off the boat, whether that's C/D/E/F/Gs or E-2/C-2s. I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to how big a role tailhook plays in the UMSC. It seems with the retirement of the C/D models and the purchase of only the F-35B model that tailhook aircraft in the USMC are going the way of the dodo.

I was just wondering if you guys could talk about tailhooks in the Marines as well as how much of your force typically deploys on a CVN.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
There are two or three hornet squadrons that do the navy thing. There are still plans to buy about five squadrons of F-35C's. Either way, if you're dead set on being on a CVN, go navy.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I was just wondering if you guys could talk about tailhooks in the Marines as well as how much of your force typically deploys on a CVN.

As you said, every Marine is a rifleman first. The same is true with tailhooks. In the factory, it is mandatory that Marine tailhooks complete Tailhook Basic School (TBS). The motto there is that "every tailhook is a weapon first". Marine Tailhooks are generally longer, stronger, and have a much better chance of catching a 3-wire. Marine aviators also undergo extensive training on how to remove the tailhook should they need to use it as a javeline, spear, or toothpick.

In essence, they are the best of the best with regards to engagment...whether it be on the boat or in battle.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
If tailhook is your be-all, end-all, I concur with Treetop Flyer, go Navy. These days out of Primary you could get an 80 and not select Jets, the numbers really just aren't there.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If tailhook is your be-all, end-all, I concur with Treetop Flyer, go Navy. These days out of Primary you could get an 80 and not select Jets, the numbers really just aren't there.
Selection cuts will change, jet drafts will come and go, and consistently people who perform tend to get what they want. However, there are only 3 (I think) out of 19 active hornet, harrier, and F-35 squadrons go to the big boat. So if you go Marines, even if you get jets you're unlikely to go to the big boat. All navy hornets, and most growlers go to the boat. If you want jets and want more than ten traps, go Navy. Personally I would decide by other factors than that.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
My (Navy) on-wing just cut a 55 and got tailhook...

Interesting. You guys still doing that strike splits into advanced strike/E-2 later on or do you just select E-2s out of primary now?

Thanks for all the answers guys, I'll keep all of it in mind. Luckily I have time on my side and I'm not in a rush to make a decision just yet. I could still even do the 10 week PLC course this coming summer and go to TBS after I graduate.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Also keep in mind that if you go Marine Corps, you'll still do CQ, even if you eventually end up in an expeditionary squadron in the fleet. So if nothing else, you get to experience it. And while flying around the boat is pretty cool, living on it sucks.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If you go Marines, then even if you don't select tailhook you can still spend some time on a ship doing a MEU (Harrier, Osprey, Huey, Cobra, or shitter). However, you will never have the experience of flying off a small ass ship like a frigate. The only platform you have zero chance of landing on the ship with is a C-130, although it did happen once. None of those aircraft fly 3.5 hours of starboard-D at a time.

I was kind of like you. I first applied to the Navy and got rejected. I then applied to the Marines, and went to TBS as a ground contract, earning an air contract there. If I had to do it over again I would have kept my ground MOS and gotten out after 4-8 years. Flying a fighter jet is pretty cool, but 11 years of your life is a long time to commit to anything.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Selection cuts will change, jet drafts will come and go, and consistently people who perform tend to get what they want. However, there are only 3 (I think) out of 19 active hornet, harrier, and F-35 squadrons go to the big boat. So if you go Marines, even if you get jets you're unlikely to go to the big boat. All navy hornets, and most growlers go to the boat. If you want jets and want more than ten traps, go Navy. Personally I would decide by other factors than that.

This. P-8 NFO type here, but I know that if I had gone tail hook I would be an E-2 NFO right now. There was a draft going on and in the class I would have been in for NFO intermediate every single Navy person got E-2s. Thems the breaks.