• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
FlyBoyd, don't you let ALPA bring FAR117 to all cargo ops. I know you guys have special challenges, but -117 IS NOT THE ANSWER!! Not for us not for cargo.
I hear ya. While it doesn't affect (much) a reserve slug like me, I know it could change our lines. I'm trying to get smart on it so I can educate others and we can do the right thing.

For the wannabes...here is an example of something similar (simplified).

FAA rule that you can't exceed 8 hours of block (flightish time) in 24 hours: I was removed from a trip because the 2 hour outbound leg would have me exceed 8 in 24. The trip offered to replace it had the same block time but split it up into two legs. The time on deck between the legs allowed time to drop off the front of my 24 hour clock so the second leg wouldn't violate 8 in 24. While it met the rule, it was actually harder on me by adding a preflight, takeoff and landing as well as extending my duty day by also most 2 hours (early a.m. flight). The substitute trip met the requirement, but was actually an increase in workload and risk, so I denied it and went home. In this case, application of the rule actually made my life harder and I will (probably) will miss the pay as making up the flight as a commuter can be a PITA.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
(disclaimer: moved from another thread)

Yes, it is ... but it CAN have a 'downside' all its own.
The airlines have 'good' days, the airlines have 'bad' days.

That's just the way it is ...

In my experience ... :)
Was able to have one of those 'good' days at the airlines recently...long layover in Buffalo, NY...so we ventured to the Anchor Bar where we were able to sample the original Buffalo Wings at their origin in 1964. Almost purchased a foam Buffalo Wing hat at the onsite Anchor Bar gift shop...but it was $25...so I had a pic taken instead.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I hear you!

Pictured below is the nicest hotel pen that I have encountered so far.

From about five feet away it [sort of] resembles a Cross pen.

I scored one of those from the Bradley Airport Hyatt. It is the crown jewel of my fledgling collection. My family also appreciates the awesome little bottles of shampoo and conditioner that adorn our showers now.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You guys fly too much. ✈️
I flew TWICE this month, logged 15 total hours, got paid for 76. :D

One of the trips was an overnight to St. Thomas. The other was an out and in to Dominican Republic. We had a FEDEX Capt jumpseating with us, and we got him a seat in Business to enjoy the ride home. Nice guy.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sigh, my pen collection is weak.
Oh, but you are set up for the exotic from around the world. Mad Dog scored in YVR. There are pens waiting for you in Paris at the Rive Gauche, Rome's Nazionale, Grotto Bay Beach Resort, Bermuda, the Silken Berlaymont, in Brussels and more.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I flew TWICE this month, logged 15 total hours, got paid for 76. :D

One of the trips was an overnight to St. Thomas. The other was an out and in to Dominican Republic. We had a FEDEX Capt jumpseating with us, and we got him a seat in Business to enjoy the ride home. Nice guy.
That's my kind of program.. Just enough to be current! I did a DEN and ABQ out and back, and a TYS layover.. So you win. But I got less block so maybe I win...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
You guys fly too much. ✈️
Oh, really?

Some of us don't have the cool guy 'Rectal Glaucoma' gig going on.

You 'Rectal Glaucoma' cool guys don't see your ass flying.

Get it? :D

I want to be a 'Rectal Glaucoma' cool guy...BUT...I see my ass flying a fair piece due to our airline being short of pilots and the fact that I fly the junior aircraft (Mad Dog!)...AND...probably because I still don't know how to bid.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Sigh, my pen collection is weak.
That's because you're one of those 'Rectal Glaucoma' cool guys who doesn't see their ass flying.

If you were NOT one of those 'Rectal Glaucoma' cool guys (like me), then you'd have a strong hotel pen collection.

:cool: