• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 IDC DCO Boards

Crippy011

You live by the gouge, you die by the gouge
Don't get too discouraged. This is my second time up and I've heard it take several attempts before some get selected. It's not that your not qualified, but the board sometimes just looks for certain qualities each cycle.

On another note, 47 Intel isn't too bad.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been monitoring the board and seeing how really qualified some applicants are so the thought was to spend the next year working on my certifications but I definitely don't plan on quitting anytime soon, if ever.

You are pretty young to apply for reserves, why didn't you look at active duty? looking at your background you look like you would be pretty competitive.

I actually did look at active duty a few years back, when I had completed my undergraduate degree, but at this point in time, I have had some significant success in the civilian world and I would like to continue that while also serving in some capacity in the military. I'd rather be doing both than one or the other.

Some advice: get commissioned however you can and then change your designator once you get in. I initially wanted IP, however, knew that it was next to impossible due to the number of applicants and the limited slots. The easiest way to get commissioned DCO is INTEL. This is based on numbers. Look at how many INTEL officers they select versus IW/IP/METOC, etc.

They take anyone for INTEL because folks come from varying backgrounds. Because of the limited number of IP slots, they have to rack and stack people. After you are already in, changing your designator is an administrative exercise and you are looked at on the basis of whether or not you will be successful in the new designator.

I was commissioned as INTEL and got fully qualified (PQS and IDWO). I then dropped a change of designator package to change from INTEL to IP. It took about 30 days. Easy. Changing designators after you are in is a completely different process and changing from one IDWO designator to another is not frowned upon.

Words of advice: keep your plans to yourself and kick butt as an INTEL officer.

Any questions, PM me.

I applied immediately after my first denial. Don't wait.

Thanks for the advice, I am considering INTEL now after seeing the results for the past two boards I've applied to (I've got tons of language skills), but at the same time, my specialty is cyber security, which makes IP the logical choice. I'm not sure how much security work is involved in intel, perhaps you could provide some insight.
I'm also planning on getting a security certification in the next month or two, so once I receive that, i'll reevaluate my options with my recruiter and send off another application.

exNavyOffRec

I actually did look at active duty a few years back, when I had completed my undergraduate degree, but at this point in time, I have had some significant success in the civilian world and I would like to continue that while also serving in some capacity in the military. I'd rather be doing both than one or the other.

That makes sense.

Did your recruiter let you in on what your interview scores were? Things look about what they were a few years ago so you need to be getting 10's.

I would say your biggest drawback is lack of experience, they re-wrote the program authorizations a few years ago and with any reserve IDC designator they say they want "significant civilian experience" (significant is essentially 10 years), and "quantifiable record of leadership, management, or supervisory experience".

I would poke around this site and look at the profiles of the civilians that were picked up in the past several FY's, I would also ask your recruiter what the background of those picked up are that he/she had submitted from the NRD your OR works at.

The nice thing is if you keep doing and growing in your civilian job you will just keep becoming a better candidate.

bryanteagle6

My recruiter promised me 10 business days. So i can't get super anxious until Friday 9.26. If some ppl have already heard then I expect news tomorrow. But like I said im "trying" to not worry about news until friday! Ha.

kh439

First time post, long time lurker. Waiting is killing me. Probably won't be very productive at work this week...

ReserveOfficerRecruiter

pilot
The results came out via email on Friday afternoon, at a time where I imagine most people (at least on the East Coast) were already starting their weekends. I would check in with your recruiters today, and if you can't get a hold of them, call the main line of their recruiting office. If you don't hear anything in the next couple of days, there are recruiters on here that can look for you. However, I know I would want the courtesy of being able to tell my applicants the results instead of them finding out from a message board.
This batch was very selective, and I had 3 of my 4 applicants not get picked up. Intel is looking for individuals that have extensive analyst and leadership experience along with advanced education in a related field. For IP, I highly recommend applicants to have the CISSP and Security+ certifications if you applying for any board in the near future along with the education and work exprience in IT related fields. Some of that can be done between now and the next board, although most of it won't change much between this board and the next. So the biggest way you can make yourself stand out is with your interviews. Research the career so you go in prepared, and know how you can tie your attributes to that specific career choice. If you're not ending up with 9s or 10s on the interviews, it will be difficult to get selected.
Overall, don't be discouraged if you are not selected the first time you apply, as many people aren't. Many of my selectees over the years have applied 2 or more times. The board likes seeing that determination, and it shows that you really want to be in the Navy instead of looking at the Reserves simply as a stepping stone to something more in the civilian sector.

kh439

Sorry to hear it. I don't have a very good feeling about this one, with the very low select numbers. This is try number two for me (Sept FY 14 non-select).

I'm a non-select for Intel this time. It being my first time applying, I learned what my strengths are and what I need to improve on for the next board. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear something.

bryanteagle6

I found out i was a non-select this morning from my recruiter. He gave me my marching orders to resubmit in march if i choose. There was only one selected from the entire NRD ohio. Congrats to those selected. .. good luck to those trying again!

Dont get discouraged guys! It took me 3 tries to get picked up. Just keep getting more and more interviews until you have all 10s to submit and 100% confidence. Then also look at certifications and advanced degrees.. I felt like Rudy when I got picked up finally after 9 years of night school and 5 total commission applications.