• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conditioning for OCS

Jules_W

Only time someone would get the full 10 minutes would be RLP or if they got demerits for something utterly stupid i.e. a class president using his phone to text romantic things to his girlfriend and it accidentally goes to his Drill Instructor.

Please tell me this really happened.

Larick

None
Contributor
Please tell me this really happened.

I'm currently at OCS right now. Just finished the Eng/Wpns exam. Got some time to post stuff. You get the full 10 min session if you either srew up badly or if your DI or Chief hates you/the class. Just don't suck at drill practice and you won't get RPT'ed as much.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
For what it's worth I needed some cross training built into my workouts and started this program that helps Marines get ready for MARSOC A&S:
http://www.marsoc.com/storage/downloads/marsoc-training-guide-2014.pdf

I don't follow it 100% because I don't have a pool, but it can be a good change up for some people. My run time was already decent when I started (10:47) and I just wanted to do something different for a few months. Only caution: Don't go from zero to this workout--you could hurt your knees. Also, if your run isn't up to speed yet, consider substituting some extra running.

That said, the stretching and nutritional tips are worth a look even if you don't follow the workout schedule.

Jules_W

For what it's worth I needed some cross training built into my workouts and started this program that helps Marines get ready for MARSOC A&S:
http://www.marsoc.com/storage/downloads/marsoc-training-guide-2014.pdf

I don't follow it 100% because I don't have a pool, but it can be a good change up for some people. My run time was already decent when I started (10:47) and I just wanted to do something different for a few months. Only caution: Don't go from zero to this workout--you could hurt your knees. Also, if your run isn't up to speed yet, consider substituting some extra running.

That said, the stretching and nutritional tips are worth a look even if you don't follow the workout schedule.

This looks great, thanks!

guffster

For the pushup test, you get two minutes max, but if you hit the ground, you're done. You can only rest in the "up" position. Is this correct? I would also assume these are pretty strict form pushups with full range of motion? How does the situp test work? Do you get the full two minutes? Do you have to continuously be doing situps or can you rest?

Thanks.

PettyOfficerCJ

You can rest (either in the up or down position) during the sit-ups. The Navy likes to refer to them as curl-ups because as long as your elbow touches any part of your thigh then you are good. You arms are crossed over your chest with your thumbs touching your collarbone. That is what they're pickiest about with curl ups and what causes problems for people. Keep your hands in place...... Work on push-up form. I'm currently in the Navy, and (having been a two different joint environments over the last couple of years) I've noticed that, in general, the Navy is even pickier about push-up form during pt tests than the Army is (this is in general, there are definitely exceptions). Also, for Navy PT tests, you will always do Sit-ups THEN do push-ups. Personally, I wish it were switched, but oh well....

guffster

You can rest (either in the up or down position) during the sit-ups. The Navy likes to refer to them as curl-ups because as long as your elbow touches any part of your thigh then you are good. You arms are crossed over your chest with your thumbs touching your collarbone. That is what they're pickiest about with curl ups and what causes problems for people. Keep your hands in place...... Work on push-up form. I'm currently in the Navy, and (having been a two different joint environments over the last couple of years) I've noticed that, in general, the Navy is even pickier about push-up form during pt tests than the Army is (this is in general, there are definitely exceptions). Also, for Navy PT tests, you will always do Sit-ups THEN do push-ups. Personally, I wish it were switched, but oh well....

Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
A few years ago I used the attached program to dramatically improve my PFT (it claims it can take you to a perfect PFT in 6 weeks). For those looking to quickly improve their PRT, it might help (just substitute push ups for pull ups). I'll probably incorporate it at some point.

Attachments

• Attachment-1.pdf
    175.6 KB · Views: 182

KnightFlight

Has anyone had any experience with zero drop shoes at OCS? I want to bring mine since they are better for your feet but I just saw this...

"Running Shoes:
_ Please invest in a quality pair of running shoes less than six months old. You will be running several miles per week, depending on where you are in training. MINIMALIST SHOES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED AT OCS."

I'm hoping they are talking specifically about the vibram 5 toe shoes. Has anyone gone to OCS with Altra, Inov8, or New Balance zero drop shoes and got away with it? Thanks!

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
Based on a quick google image search, those look fine. As long as they are enclosed and look like normal shoes, they won't say anything. It's up to you to bring shoes that won't ruin your feet when you're running 3-4 miles at a time. You'll start off running 20 minutes at a time, and if you find they are uncomfortable, you should be able to go to the NEX and buy new ones on the first or second weekend.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
So if I am already at the "excellent" level, there is no reason to change my routine I have been doing for 6 months?

I don't want to change it. I have put on at least 10 pounds of lean body mass so far (noob lifter gains).

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
So if I am already at the "excellent" level, there is no reason to change my routine I have been doing for 6 months?

I don't want to change it. I have put on at least 10 pounds of lean body mass so far (noob lifter gains).

I wouldn't. Don't risk injury. Excellent is more than enough for OCS.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

The better shape you are going into OCS, the easier time you'll have with that stuff. You have 7-8 weeks, so that's plenty of time to get into the oustanding category.

Having said that, plenty of people make it through the program showing up being able to just get a satisfactory on the in-prt.