• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
The board member I was referring to said they used their "formula" to get rid of a lot of packages that were barely meeting the minimum requirements for submitting but were still submitted (ie. someone with a 35 OAR and exactly a 2.5 bachelors GPA.)

I'm hoping there are a lot of these types of applications and that the people who contribute to forums such as this are the cream of the crop. LOL. When I hear about "hundreds of applications," I always wonder if the hundreds are mostly impressive individuals like those involved in this thread or whether they are mostly individuals like the example you gave above.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Also, to look at the math, if someone had 120 credits with a undergraduate GPA of 3.8, then this would be [(3.8GPA X 120 Credits)/120 total credits] = 3.8. If you then add a graduate degree, let's use your example of a 3.5GPA in a Masters with NavyOffRec's example of 60 credits. This would be [(3.8GPA X 120 credits) + (3.5GPA X 60 credits)]/180 total credits = 666 GPA points/180 total credits = 3.7 GPA.

I'd have to say that it looks like you're "nuking" it. lol

exNavyOffRec

No, I was saying it carries more weight,based on the info NavOffRec provided us, because if there is a Masters degree for a GPA calc then there must be a Bachelors degree that gets added in as well. He corrected my statement because it was coming across as my saying that Masters Degree (only)=Overall GPA calc....which could hurt some people (such as those in programs like yours.... I'm assuming you had a higher undergrad GPA if you were able to get into law school ... what I'm saying is that Masters Degree = Masters Degree plus Bachelors Degree and the combination of the two gives you a weightier score. All I'm trying to say is that having a Masters degree should for the most part help a GPA calc because it is being added to what you already have for Bachelors degree points. Since many graduate schools won't let you stay in if you're pulling a low GPA, most people will be helped by that math.
But, like I said, I couldn't speak for the law and medical field. Surely the board looks at what the actual masters was in once they get to the package. The board member I was referring to said they used their "formula" to get rid of a lot of packages that were barely meeting the minimum requirements for submitting but were still submitted (ie. someone with a 35 OAR and exactly a 2.5 bachelors GPA.) You seem like you have great stats, so I wouldn't worry that your JD GPA was a little low. I mean, it is still a JD..... quite impressive....

In my example I broke out the 2 degrees because that was in your post, the GPA calculation sheet is blind to the degree as it is just a formula in an excel sheet, it doesn't know if it is an AA, BA, MA or if a person has 2 BA's, it just calculates the amount and averages it.

The board members in review of the application will see the different degrees.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
FYSA, shorter posts are easier to read and are better at getting your point accross. However, I've been guilty of a couple "longer than I'd like to read posts." Lol, just saying.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
All you guys worrying about degrees and whatnot. I just hope the board takes into consideration that I was a two time alternate SWO(IP) selectee for STA-21 because I think that program is the most competitive of them all!!!

I will see your previous 2 STA-21 applications, and raise you a third....

However I was only Alternate once. Either way, it has to count for something.

plastycx

Never Giving Up
Chuck Norris is running the board. He's not looking at your degrees or calculations.

1 Major factor plays here. Can you round house kick someone to the face!!!!!
upload_2014-9-20_8-46-49.jpeg

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Alright everybody, tomorrow is Monday; I want everyone here obsessing about when results are to be released by 0800 sharp. Remember: early is on-time, and on-time is late, so early is also late. Figure it out.