• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

Minnesota Tomcat

Turkeybeast
MURFe...must unfuck refueling evolution

CYNDI...check you're not dumping idiot

dIP...schmidt

These tags are a whole lot worse than mine. I've watched enough of that footage where the probe gets hung up in the basket and the basket gets ripped off the tanker. That pilot must have gotten the name MURFe. That is some serious pucker factor.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
The problem these days is the fear of getting fired. Mine makes sense to everybody in my squadron, but if someone yelled it across the hall and Capt so-n-so heard it, we would all get fired!
Oh, now come on!

What is it?!?!?

:D

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
SAPR safe. It was the "check six" challenge and reply for inappropriate comments for our JOPA (actually all of the wardroom)...I guess my comments are so inappropriate so often it was just assumed every time I opened my mouth!

Sweet Lou

Up to my retirement at the turn of the century, the P-3 community didn't regularly bestow callsigns on the pilots or "FO's." However, if someone did something significantly stupid, they definitely earned a nickname.

One of the JO's who was on my crew had the last name of Howell. When he checked into the squadron, this newbie NFO introduced himself by saying, "Hi, I'm LTJG ---- Howell, but you can call me "Thurston." Of course, he was referring to Thurston Howell the Third, the old, rich snob from "Gilligan's Island." And of course, we DIDN'T call him Thurston. No one picks their own nickname.

From then on, he was "Lovey" (Thurston's equally snobby old wife, Eunice Lovelle Wentworth Howell.) I ran into him again after I retired and became a Navy Civilian. He was an O-5...and was still being called "Lovey."

My nickname, Sweet Lou, came from the ballplayer, Lou Piniella. "Sweet Lou" Piniella's nickname was used facetiously as he had a very gruff demeanor. I was pretty laid back as a new O-4 but some of the JOs at my shore command just started calling me "Sweet Lou." A few months into my squadron Dept Hd tour, where my "Sweet Lou" nickname followed me, we got another O-4 onboard who happened to be the only other guy in the P-3 community with the same uncommon last name (Mosier). His demeanor was much more like Lou Piniella's so the JOs started calling him "Sour Lou," even though his first name was Jon. He hated that nickname, so of course it stuck.

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
currently enlisted in a squadron here in virginia, i have unfortunately adopted the nickname HUGS from my loving shop due to my uncanny resemblance to sloth from the goonies...... hugs = hey you guys

we also have a female here who earned the nickname of cindi because she "accidentally" filled the gas powered supply truck with diesel fuel... ergo, cindi = check its not diesel idiot

Zanklin

Oh the per diem you'll make...
pilot
I had an Air Force instructor (back when I was a SNA at Vance AFB) with the callsign TURBO- TURn Battery On. Apparently there is a weapon on the F-16 that doesn't drop unless you turn the battery on, and he found out the hard way.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
I had a DH who didn't like me...coined with my C/S...

MAMAL

Most Annoying Man ALive

Never fought it, but it stuck...