• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MCTAP Questions

I have just finished PLC-JRs and I am currently looking to take advantage of the tuition assistance programs that are now available to me. I have been able to get the common knowledge of these programs off of the internet, however some of the sites seem to be outdated. But I still have two questions that hopefully you guys can help me out with.

1. Do you need to still to take the course (College 101) prior to applying for MCTAP?
2. How do you apply for MCTAP? Do you work through your OSO office or is there a website online that I am able to go through.

I won't be able to contact my OSO for another week, so if you guys could help me out with any information that you know that would be outstanding!

Thanks in Advance

Green11

Living the dream
If MCTAP is the one that gives you ~$3000 over two semesters in exchange for an extra six months on your contract, then no you don't have to take any course. This was back in 2011 though. Not sure how outdated the stuff you're looking at it. And I was able to get whatever aid I got just by talking to my OSO and filling out a couple forms with him. Good luck, not sure if that helps.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
1. I have no idea.
2. Your OSO will have the correct information.

If MCTAP is the program that rolls your Pay Entry Base Date(PEBD) back to when you start TBS, I would advise against it unless you really need the money now. If you do not take the MCTAP program, once you're active duty you'll be getting paid as an O-1 with a PEBD that is your first day of Juniors, typically at least two years prior to when you actually start active duty, AKA O-1 Over 2. This is only a $1200/year pay bump over what you'll be getting if the enroll in the MCTAP program for the first year. However, the real fun comes once you hit O-1 over 3 after your first year of active duty which is a $7200/year pay bump that continues until about your fourth year of active duty when the gap between what you could be earning evens up a bit at the O-2 Over 4 and O-2 Over 6 respectively. So, it's either $10,400 now or ~$16,800 long term.

This is all assuming that you're a flight contract who has two years of college left and that you will ship to TBS shortly after graduation. None of which I know for certain so YMMV depending on your current situation

Also, my Google-fu has turned up the pertinent MCO: http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCO 1560.33.pdf

nukon

pilot
The staff at my OSO really, really discouraged anyone who wasn't in absolute crisis from taking MCTAP - PEBD is a big deal. MCFAP, on the other hand, is the heat - do it. Your PEBD is where you'll make your money, you want it as far back in time as possible.

If you're worried about college loans, I encourage you to hold off if possible until you finish OCS and are in a "pre/post commissioning" status, then and look into the USAA Career Starter Loan. It'd basically be a way to re-finance $25,000 of your student loans at 2.99% APR (as of summer 2014). That loan, plus the increased salary due to earlier PEBD may be helpful enough.