• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-Pool Wait

Draples

Okay, thanks! Can anybody comment on what it's like trying to take leave while waiting for IFS? Is it possible to take any sort of extended leave without pay? If not, how likely is regular leave to be approved?

TexasTools

None
... take leave while waiting for IFS...
If you finish your appointments and you aren't scheduled to start IFS in the immediate future, they'll usually let you take leave for a long weekend or maybe a week.
I have no idea what "extended leave w/o pay" would consist of, so I'd say no.

Joey H

I highly recommend volunteering yourself to STUCON as the lead Ensign. It's invaluable leadership training that carries well into the fleet.

Just imagine being selected as the ONE ENS dedicated to professionally developing and mentoring the rest of A-pool and API.

Good luck.
So once at API you are only there for about 3 months until going to primary? Then you are at primary for how long?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Primary is just the first stage of training. Afterwards you attend Intermediate and Advanced training which can range from 6-18 months depending on wait times and platform. It takes a jet guy right around 2 years to get winged. After that it's the FRS (usually another 8-12 months) and then finally you get assigned an ultimate duty station.

All of this is subject to change due to numerous variables including (but not limited to) airplane availabilty, student loading, weather, performance, luck, and the price of tea in China.

No matter what platform you choose, expect to move no less than three times in flight school.

Joey H

Primary is just the first stage of training. Afterwards you attend Intermediate and Advanced training which can range from 6-18 months depending on wait times and platform. It takes a jet guy right around 2 years to get winged. After that it's the FRS (usually another 8-12 months) and then finally you get assigned an ultimate duty station.

All of this is subject to change due to numerous variables including (but not limited to) airplane availabilty, student loading, weather, performance, luck, and the price of tea in China.

No matter what platform you choose, expect to move no less than three times in flight school.
Thank you for that! So from API you move once then primary. Then move? Then intermediate. Move? And then advanced? About how long from API to finish does it take about?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot

Unless you're married and want helos. But weather is currently the big one. I have FAM 0 tomorrow and am catching up to people four weeks ahead of me that are in the same squadron.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thank you for that! So from API you move once then primary. Then move? Then intermediate. Move? And then advanced? About how long from API to finish does it take about?

Joey, you obviously didn't quite take the hint. Slow down, take a deep breath, and then poke around the site for a bit. Much of what you're asking is here. After you do some reading, then you can come back to an applicable thread, or start your own, and ask specifics.

Asking about total flight school timing in the "A-Pool Wait" thread isn't the answer.

Draples

If you finish your appointments and you aren't scheduled to start IFS in the immediate future, they'll usually let you take leave for a long weekend or maybe a week.
I have no idea what "extended leave w/o pay" would consist of, so I'd say no.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully they'll let me get away for a bit.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info. Hopefully they'll let me get away for a bit.

If a command has gained you onto their UIC, then they have to account for you. There are ways to play the game and keep kosher - "no-cost TAD" is one. Also the mythical "good deal stash job".

But really...A-Pool is the last, best deal you'll get in the Navy. Don't be so eager to get out of it. Considering to the toad's wild ride you're about to go on for the next 2+ years of training and 3+ years of sea duty, enjoy the few months of minimal work/handsome pay/no responsibilities time of A-Pool.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Draples

Oh I'm not complaining about a-pool, it will be a nice breather before training starts. I care for a sick family member (not in immediate family), and, if I can take time off work without affecting my career, it saves somebody else in my family from having to take time off instead. So, I'm trying to figure out what I can do...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh...that's kind of a different story. Talk to STUCON when you arrive and explain the situation; maybe there's something to be done. If there's a Navy unit or ROTC unit nearby, maybe no-cost TAD is possible. Depends on their student load and all, but I doubt they'd keep you in P'cola just to keep you there.

Chris_USMC

Does anybody know what the wait times are looking like for the Marines coming from TBS?

I got here from TBS in February, and I'm on week two of API right now. That is kind of unusually long, as I head some medical stuff to get squared away and when I got here there were 130+ other lieutenants waiting for IFS, but most of the guys classing up have been here for probably 2-4 months before beginning API. The guys in my API class currently were one or two companies behind me in TBS, I believe (I was Echo 5-13).