• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cmdr. Jack Baker (Passed away 2012). Need info on his amazing career!

Matthew Noel

My grandfather Cmdr Jack Baker (CV-63, CVA-34 to name a few) passed away a few years ago. He was the type of vet that NEVER spoke about his exploits, including the SAR flights to find Jophn McCain, winning mutliple awards, plus medals for his extremely accurate CAS. I would like to meet some of his navy buddies to find out more about what he did form Korea to Vietnam as the only friends he stayed in touch with that I know today are admirals that live in D.C. - and it's hard to ask them too many questions. He served from '53 to '81, and flew everything - The SNJ (USAF version was the AT-6), T-28 (which he said he learned to hate becuase it couldnt be "trimmed" for some hands off time), AD Skyraider series (Which he LOVED), the SNB (Super Navy Bomber by Beechcraft (was really a genberal, all purpose aircraft), S-2F (a twin engine known as the Stoof - primarily used as an anti-sub machine) TA-1Q (the electronic warfare version of the Stoof)R-4D ( US Navy version of the Douglas DC-3 and USAF C-47 - Dubbed by the Navy as the Gooney Bird) and one of his favorte aircraft, the F-9F6 Panther, F-9F8 Cougar, TAF-9 (the twin seat version of the Cougar, The A-4 (Skyhawk series, gaining the name "Scooter" because of it's small size) ranging from the "C" models to the final Navy and "F"models. The Blue Angels "F" Model (Which he flew as Project Officer at Douglas Aircraft while they were being "Modified" from the standard A-4F to thge Jazzed up Blue's Airplanes NOTE: He did not "fly" w/ the Blue's per se, except as a hitchj hiker in their twin seatTA-4 plane while returning from a delivery of one of their "straight" airplanes to El Centro), and finally the to the Isreali's "A-4N" model (whoch along with the A-4M was one of the last A-4's built by Douglas. The A-7 (he didnt get a lot of time in this plane, jsut a few cross country flights), the A-3 (the USAF version is known as the B-66... at least that's what he thought, and in the typical Navy way, nicknamed the "Whale") and finally the military versions of the Douglas DC-9, which he flew final acceptance test flights on as a precedent to accepting them into the Navy, USAF and Isreal's military inventories. He also was at Moffatt field, near San Francisco, participated in photo coverage of test flights of the first vertical take off airplane, the Convair "Pogo". At the same time Ryan was trying to get their version going, but convair beat them to it. Unfortunately, it nevergot anyplace to speak of, but it paved the way for aircraft like the "Harrier". That is the quickest overview of this INCREADIBLE man's career, and would love to speak to ANYONE that knew him, or served at the same time. Hope some of this info helps anyone looking for it!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matthew, it sounds like your grandfather was an amazing and humble man. What was his full name? Was Jack is nickname? Might you know of any of the squadrons or timeframes he served?

Matthew Noel

Yes, his full name is John Furman Baker, served as an "Aerial Photographer" for three years (I believe from '51-'54) on the Oriskany, CVA-34 (where he also participated in the on board filming for the movie "The Bridges At Toko-Ri". Soon there after he entered the "Nav Pro Program" as a cadet in Pensacola, and finished in Corpus Christi receiving his wings. I don't know all the Sqrds. he was with, but his first 4 were VAW-11, VA-212, VA-152 & VA-192. He then did some instructing @ Saufley Feild, Pensacola for a few years. He finally finished his career in '81 as a Cmdr. Thanks for any/all info and interest EAFlyer!

brownshoe

Contributor
Yes, his full name is John Furman Baker, served as an "Aerial Photographer" for three years (I believe from '51-'54) on the Oriskany, CVA-34 (where he also participated in the on board filming for the movie "The Bridges At Toko-Ri". Soon there after he entered the "Nav Pro Program" as a cadet in Pensacola, and finished in Corpus Christi receiving his wings. I don't know all the Sqrds. he was with, but his first 4 were VAW-11, VA-212, VA-152 & VA-192. He then did some instructing @ Saufley Feild, Pensacola for a few years. He finally finished his career in '81 as a Cmdr. Thanks for any/all info and interest EAFlyer!
You know you might want to chat with BzB and Rondebmar, they both are from that era and went through the NavCad program. BzB was an A4 pilot and Ron was an AD, A4 and A7 pilot. BzB's recuperating right now from an operation, and is not active here now, but Ron is active and posts a little but is always lurking. If Ron doesn't see your post PM him he'd be glad to respond. I'll also alert both BzB and Ron to your thread.

A7Dave

pilot
Do you have a copy of his DD-214 or his service record? I'd start there for confirmation of his exploits.

Matthew Noel

No I do not, but his reunion group includes 2 admirals, Joseph J. Barth, RADM USN (Ret) and Thomas A. Mercer, RADM USN (Ret). They were both close friends and told me about his career, but as you know, its hard to ask someone of their stature for more! My Grandmother says she has his flight logs, but doesn't seem too confident in their location.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No I do not, but his reunion group includes 2 admirals, Joseph J. Barth, RADM USN (Ret) and Thomas A. Mercer, RADM USN (Ret). They were both close friends and told me about his career, but as you know, its hard to ask someone of their stature for more! My Grandmother says she has his flight logs, but doesn't seem too confident in their location.

You can request his military records, here is a good starting point:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/