• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aerospace physiologist/AMSOs

Beefalo

Im doing some research into this field and am wondering if anyone here has gone through or is a Navy Aerospace Physiologist?

Cfr0409

I have an interview for the Naval Aerospace Operational and Physiology Program next month. Does anyone have any advice for the interview board and brief? Are there any questions asked that vary from the private sector's typical interview questions? Are there any military interview guidelines I need to be aware of? Lastly, how long and in how much detail should I go into on the brief I am required to give?
Thank you for your help!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nothing special military wise, unless folks are no longer respectful in civ interviews. Throw in a few sirs here and there. If you know the rank use it if you have to refer to them by name. When I recruited no brief was required, just an interview. When briefing just consider your audience. I know, basic, but these days that sort of common sense is sometimes lacking. What sort of brief do you give?

Cfr0409

I appreciate your input! The brief is over the NAOP Program itself and the process that the applicant has to go through: All the way from the interview itself, through ODS, the 6 months of training in Pensacola, and then through the career path of the AP (including the 5 phases of an AP's career). So I will essentially be briefing on something that I know a sliver about and that they know everything about.

I guess they were getting some folks who were not the best instructors so they decided to have an in person interview where the applicant briefs on the program. This way the board can see if they're a good instructor and can stand in front of a crowd and manage to get the point across in a simple and entertaining way.

Hopefully, I manage to accomplish this task in a few weeks! Thanks again for your reply.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, your audience isn't really senior officers but, constructively, no nothings. That is a realistic analog for a VP wardroom, that you may have to brief once in the fleet. ;)

Halfpint

AEPnot2B
I appreciate your input! The brief is over the NAOP Program itself and the process that the applicant has to go through: All the way from the interview itself, through ODS, the 6 months of training in Pensacola, and then through the career path of the AP (including the 5 phases of an AP's career). So I will essentially be briefing on something that I know a sliver about and that they know everything about.

I guess they were getting some folks who were not the best instructors so they decided to have an in person interview where the applicant briefs on the program. This way the board can see if they're a good instructor and can stand in front of a crowd and manage to get the point across in a simple and entertaining way.

Hopefully, I manage to accomplish this task in a few weeks! Thanks again for your reply.
How did it go? I'm in the process of applying as an Aerospace Experimental Psychologist, so I would be going through some of the initial training at Pensacola (API and Primary, I think) with NAOPs. I actually work in a command that has both AEPs and NAOPs (among others).

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot

Imagine that, you hire a bunch of 50# brains and they can't teach. When I asked about it, the response I got was literally "Ohh, you want to be one of us, AWESOME, we want aviators badly, what discipline is your Phd in?" I was a LT who had flown every tour!

Astrower

Hello! I'm a new poster here, but this is currently the path I really want to take, with either the Navy or the Air Force. I have been trying to learn as much as possible about what is required, but I do still have some questions:

1. I'm currently getting my masters in Exercise Physiology and taking the chem classes I still need, I am a sports performance coach, and am working on getting as much instructor experience as a GA as possible. And obviously trying to get the best grades I can. Is there anything else I should be trying to learn or do?

2. Is there a way to see how many applicants there were compared to how many were accepted each opening? Or just a gauge of how competitive the process is?

3. I've seen mention in other places that they only really accept PhDs, how true is this?

4. How important would flying hours be? My schedule is already packed but there is a reasonably priced flight school around here and I could try to fit in lessons if it would help.

5. Any ideas for a thesis project? I have talked to some of my professors and they mentioned the engineering department would help be build a hypoxic environment chamber if I wanted to do something with it.

6. Any other tips for someone starting on this process? I graduate April 2017 so I still have plenty of time to prepare and get stuff in.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello! I'm a new poster here, but this is currently the path I really want to take, with either the Navy or the Air Force. I have been trying to learn as much as possible about what is required, but I do still have some questions:

1. I'm currently getting my masters in Exercise Physiology and taking the chem classes I still need, I am a sports performance coach, and am working on getting as much instructor experience as a GA as possible. And obviously trying to get the best grades I can. Is there anything else I should be trying to learn or do?

2. Is there a way to see how many applicants there were compared to how many were accepted each opening? Or just a gauge of how competitive the process is?

3. I've seen mention in other places that they only really accept PhDs, how true is this?

4. How important would flying hours be? My schedule is already packed but there is a reasonably priced flight school around here and I could try to fit in lessons if it would help.

5. Any ideas for a thesis project? I have talked to some of my professors and they mentioned the engineering department would help be build a hypoxic environment chamber if I wanted to do something with it.

6. Any other tips for someone starting on this process? I graduate April 2017 so I still have plenty of time to prepare and get stuff in.

Your best bet is to reach out to a medical officer recruiter to get up to date information for aerospace medicine. Being that you live in Florida he or she can get you in touch with one in either Jacksonville or Pensacola to help out.

Astrower

Your best bet is to reach out to a medical officer recruiter to get up to date information for aerospace medicine. Being that you live in Florida he or she can get you in touch with one in either Jacksonville or Pensacola to help out.

Thank you I will make sure to do this.