• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JROTC vs ROTC

C_MoMo

Hello, everyone.

I am currently a Senior in high school and I am considering applying for both a NROTC and AFROTC scholarship. However, I am a little hesitant due to my experience last year ( Junior year of high school ). My school had got a brand new JROTC program, and in its first year we had close to 200 members. Unfortunately, I decided not to do the program this year because I did not really enjoy it last year. Not because I did not like the idea of the military or the curriculum. In fact, I loved the instructors and they were the only reason I considered coming back for another year. I hated the class because of the students. There were some good guys that I got along with but most of the kids liked to pretend they were in the military, and thought they were the hardest people on campus. On top of that all they would ever talk about is how they were going to be SEALs but when we PT'd they couldn't run a mile without walking. I'm not trying to sound like I'm the best thing since sliced bread, but I would have enjoyed the class more if the people were more down to earth.

My main reason for writing this is because I'd like to know what I may be getting myself into. I want to believe that ROTC is different than JROTC, but I have never even been on a college campus. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Short answer, much different. You will see a couple tools like that, but they're few and far between and get mocked by pretty much everyone else.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It's been a long time since I was in high school, but it sounds like not much has changed.

My experience with ROTC on the campus of a large state school (in the South) was favorable. There are always going to be folks who take themselves too seriously no matter if we're talking about JROTC, ROTC, flight school, your ready room, or corporate America.

It sounds like the things you liked are the things that are important. I suspect that if you pursue ROTC in college you'll find that most people are too busy trying to keep up with the rest of school to put much more than the required level of effort into ROTC, at least until they are upperclassmen - and then most of those people have developed several other circles of friends/interests. Also, never forget about natural selection. The people in the JROTC unit who are frustrating you - they're probably not going to college with you.

just my .02.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My experience with ROTC on the campus of a large state school (in the South) was favorable. There are always going to be folks who take themselves too seriously no matter if we're talking about JROTC, ROTC, flight school, your ready room, or corporate America.

Don't forget about the guy that always just sat in the minivan with the water and always had a reason to not to be out in formation. I wonder whatever happened to that guy...

exNavyOffRec

I remember guys that I knew who were in JROTC, most were a bunch of guys who would talk big but really later in life never did join the military because it was too hard or they couldn't pass MEPS.

There are many kids that I knew who weren't in JROTC who would say how great they were going to be in the military and history proved otherwise.

The people I put in as SEALS or EOD weren't in JROTC, they were too busy with sports and doing well in school, they were the multi sport guys.

Do well in school, get involved in your community, and treat everyone with respect (sometimes that can be hard with what they say about you)

If you want to serve than great, don't let a bunch of big talking high school kids skew what you want to do, the ones that talk big do so because they probably can't actually do it, they let their actions in life speak for them and here is an example, for many years I have know a couple that grew up with and have been lifelong friends with now retired ADM Eric Olson, he never told them exactly what he did, they knew he was in the USN, knew he would spend time in DC, but they didn't know he was a SEAL or commanded USSOCOM, or was awarded a SS in Somalia, he never felt the need to let everyone know what he did, he just did his job and did it well, that speaks louder than anything.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Hello, everyone.

I am currently a Senior in high school and I am considering applying for both a NROTC and AFROTC scholarship. However, I am a little hesitant due to my experience last year ( Junior year of high school ). My school had got a brand new JROTC program, and in its first year we had close to 200 members. Unfortunately, I decided not to do the program this year because I did not really enjoy it last year. Not because I did not like the idea of the military or the curriculum. In fact, I loved the instructors and they were the only reason I considered coming back for another year. I hated the class because of the students. There were some good guys that I got along with but most of the kids liked to pretend they were in the military, and thought they were the hardest people on campus. On top of that all they would ever talk about is how they were going to be SEALs but when we PT'd they couldn't run a mile without walking. I'm not trying to sound like I'm the best thing since sliced bread, but I would have enjoyed the class more if the people were more down to earth.

My main reason for writing this is because I'd like to know what I may be getting myself into. I want to believe that ROTC is different than JROTC, but I have never even been on a college campus. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

As an NROTC instructor at an academically legitimate school, I can tell you we have identically zero persons that fit what you describe. First, they'd likely never get in to school here. Second, we'd kick them out if they couldn't actually PT at the requisite level. I think many of the folks you describe will benefit well from the bumps in pay grade offered to enlistees for participation in JROTC. Focus on the things described by the other posters here, be honest in your interviews, and you'll enjoy "adult" ROTC a lot more.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As an NROTC instructor at an academically legitimate school, ...
Really? Can you name one university with a NROTC program that is not "academically legitimate"? For that matter, for the sake of clarity, name a few non academically legitimate traditional research universities or public colleges.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't forget about the guy that always just sat in the minivan with the water and always had a reason to not to be out in formation. I wonder whatever happened to that guy...
It's a pity big Navy wouldn't trust you all to drive the Navy van and relied upon the active duty folks. I hear that guy figured out a BETTER scheme, and scheduled class during the Thursday drill period. :cool:

TexasTools

None
Really? Can you name one university with a NROTC program that is not "academically legitimate"? For that matter, for the sake of clarity, name a few non academically legitimate traditional research universities or public colleges.

Some of the cross towns are definitely questionable, if that suffices.

I read it as a dig at the Canoe U

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
No, not really. I am sorry about that, everyone who went to pretty much anywhere. Didn't mean that to be a dig - my USNA digs are much more direct and way less serious. I meant to draw the distinction between the selection criteria for JROTC in high school and college acceptance plus senior NROTC selection criteria - I tried to edit it to reflect that and was past the edit deadline, and was [sadly] pulled away from my airwarriors relaxation time. Forgot about it until now. If someone has the juice to delete it, please do so.