• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Jules_W

Anyone know what the headcall situation is like during PT? I've read some horror stories about dudes shitting themselves during Marine Corps OCS PT sessions over in the Marine Corps OCS thread....

scarimore

Too close for missiles, switching to knife hands.
Anyone know what the headcall situation is like during PT? I've read some horror stories about dudes shitting themselves during Marine Corps OCS PT sessions over in the Marine Corps OCS thread....
You might catch a small amount of grief, but "You will never be denied a head and water call at OCS." It's only an hour or so make every attempt to take care of business before or after. The only crapping of pants I heard of at OCS was during one of the mile and a half runs. No pun intended...

Jules_W

You might catch a small amount of grief, but "You will never be denied a head and water call at OCS." It's only an hour or so make every attempt to take care of business before or after. The only crapping of pants I heard of at OCS was during one of the mile and a half runs. No pun intended...

I see what you did there! Thank you that eases my mind.

Regarding the ribbons for prior service, I have four that qualify to be worn on the navy uniform. I have read recommendations about getting a rack built but if I do this then I wouldn't be able to put on the additional ribbons that you get while at OCS so it doesn't make much sense unless I'm missing something?

jander12

pilot
... I have read recommendations about getting a rack built ...
Don't have a rack built. I believe those who have recommended getting one built before OCS were priors who wouldn't earn any new ribbons while at OCS (i.e., the National Defense Ribbon, and maybe a Pistol Qualification now). Just show up with the ribbons you have and finish building your rack there - once you know how many ribbons you'll have when you graduate. Based on the accounts I've read, you'll have plenty of opportunities to purchase items from the NEX (ribbon mounts, ribbons, etc.).

theghettodefendant

None
If my graduation date is the 12th of December how much time will I have until I need to report to Pensacola? Will it be different than normal because it's close to Christmas time?

scarimore

If my graduation date is the 12th of December how much time will I have until I need to report to Pensacola? Will it be different than normal because it's close to Christmas time?
My grad date was December 6th last year and my report NLT date was the 20th, just to give you some idea. You'll only get 4 free days to get down here -the 12th being one of them unfortunately- anything extra will be charged as leave. Being a week closer to Christmas, not sure how that'll affect your report NLT date, but I'm sure you'll have to be down here before Christmas. More importantly, what ever you do, don't get rolled from you class or your extra three weeks of OCS fun will turn into five extra weeks with their Holiday stand-down.

jander12

pilot
My grad date was December 6th last year and my report NLT date was the 20th...
Bummer... I too was hoping for an, "eh, it's almost Christmas. Go ahead and show up sometime in the first week of January" type report date. Thanks for the info.

James McFadden

I am in need of some advice please. I am currently based in Ireland, and am trying to apply to OCS (yes I am a US citizen). I have an undergrad from a highly ranked US state school (3.62, earned in three years) and an MSc from the best school in Ireland (it is one of the ancients and it's sister college is Cambridge) with around a 3.2-3.3 (they work of a different system) and I am working on a post grad diploma from LSE. Lots work experience since I was 14, volunteered loads, people lined up to give me a LOR -including a retired admiral, my motivational statement done, etc and I am studying to take the ASTB-E. My problem is getting a hold of a recruiter, I have been trying for three months to get someone, anyone! I have been running around in circles, reaching out to people from Germany, UK, and Stateside. I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble, just looking for advice on what to do. I am the first generation American, and don't have any family in the military. I have decided to give up my job, take a 30k pay cut to try and serve my new country but I'm starting to feel the frustration.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

scarimore

My problem is getting a hold of a recruiter
It would be good to have you, James! I thought I had seen a forum or thread called "ask a recruiter" or similar, but just looked again and can't find it. Recruitment in the U.S. is split up into geographical districts, so where in the U.S. would you say you have the most ties? That might help narrow down which recruiting district to call. Also, look up NavyOffRec on here and shoot them a message. I hope you get some good advice and if I stumble upon that thread mentioned formerly, I'll try to get it to you.
Sláinte

rawhide 26

pilot
As of right now my officer recruiter tells me I have a tentative OCS date of 12/14/2014. I have read quite a bit about Christmas break/leave for OCS; if I choose to stay at OCS instead of using the provided time for leave, what can I expect in terms of having liberty during Christmas or having to muster and do other "work"? (I am assuming I won't be able to do much since I will have only been there 1 week :/

Yes, you will have to muster in person, or phone muster everyday. For us the class nerd went around the hall and marked everyone down on a sheet and if you weren't there you could just text him saying where you were and who you are with. You may get duty cleaning the halls, our shoveling snow (about an hour tops). Also you will get 1 to 3 times standing watch per week. Besides that, you have everything you brought, cell phone/ laptop what ever you want. Most of the days you just relax, self pt and chill at the liberty center. It is nothing like OCS. You eat whatever you want, coffee what ever and set your own sleep schedule. The only limitation is you cant leave base. Considering you are only at OCS for two weeks before break, I would stay and most of the guys from last years class did. Hope that helps.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
Yes, you will have to muster in person, or phone muster everyday. For us the class nerd went around the hall and marked everyone down on a sheet and if you weren't there you could just text him saying where you were and who you are with. You may get duty cleaning the halls, our shoveling snow (about an hour tops). Also you will get 1 to 3 times standing watch per week. Besides that, you have everything you brought, cell phone/ laptop what ever you want. Most of the days you just relax, self pt and chill at the liberty center. It is nothing like OCS. You eat whatever you want, coffee what ever and set your own sleep schedule. The only limitation is you cant leave base. Considering you are only at OCS for two weeks before break, I would stay and most of the guys from last years class did. Hope that helps.
I've been waiting for someone to provide a little detail on what those who choose to stay during Christmas break can expect. Thank you!

Cap'America13

OCS: Indoctrination Candidate Phase

Thanks for the info! I have already decided that I'll be spending Christmas in RI this year. Helps to know that I can at least talk to family during the holidays :)