• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI is dragging their feet...What can I do?

jstack

So a little background, I'm Marine Corps PLC '14 and have already graduated college (June.) I did my entire flight physical in November of 2013 in order to commission on graduation day, which was June 21st with my two friends that I went through the whole process with. I had a waiver for taking ADD meds in high school, so I had to see a psych. They tell me a month before that that my whole physical is good, except I needed to see a neuropsych. So now I get sent down to VA for a battery of ridiculous tests to ensure that I "do not have ADD." (I live in MA and did the physical in Newport, RI) In the mean time my OSO and I had to move my commission date to July.
So the most recent update is that I have been completely cleared...BUT... some of my tests (EKG, chest x-ray) have expired and need to be redone. So of course I drop everything and get down there ASAP to do them, as I've done every step of the way. Now apparently there is a huge dissconnect between the district Corpsman, the Flight surgeon, and NAMI. Apparently information is missing, needs to be reviewed, etc. It's absurd and I can't commission or get my TBS date until this is sorted out.
I've always had luck getting things done by making calls and staying on top of it. Unfortunately I can't really do that in this situation because O/C aren't really in the chain of command. Does anyone have any advice or know anyone that could help? I don't have any personal connections or any friends of friends in Naval Aviation to help me. My frustration level is through the roof at this point. Especially because the hold up is someone looking at a computer and hitting an approve button. I know it isn't the doc's fault, and I know NAMI is understaffed... but still....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So a little background, I'm Marine Corps PLC '14 and have already graduated college (June.) I did my entire flight physical in November of 2013 in order to commission on graduation day, which was June 21st with my two friends that I went through the whole process with. I had a waiver for taking ADD meds in high school, so I had to see a psych. They tell me a month before that that my whole physical is good, except I needed to see a neuropsych. So now I get sent down to VA for a battery of ridiculous tests to ensure that I "do not have ADD." (I live in MA and did the physical in Newport, RI) In the mean time my OSO and I had to move my commission date to July.
So the most recent update is that I have been completely cleared...BUT... some of my tests (EKG, chest x-ray) have expired and need to be redone. So of course I drop everything and get down there ASAP to do them, as I've done every step of the way. Now apparently there is a huge dissconnect between the district Corpsman, the Flight surgeon, and NAMI. Apparently information is missing, needs to be reviewed, etc. It's absurd and I can't commission or get my TBS date until this is sorted out.
I've always had luck getting things done by making calls and staying on top of it. Unfortunately I can't really do that in this situation because O/C aren't really in the chain of command. Does anyone have any advice or know anyone that could help? I don't have any personal connections or any friends of friends in Naval Aviation to help me. My frustration level is through the roof at this point. Especially because the hold up is someone looking at a computer and hitting an approve button. I know it isn't the doc's fault, and I know NAMI is understaffed... but still....

It's not absurd, this is how it works. You can't commission under an aviation contract until you are found physically qualified for aviation. The government is going to make sure you're worth the investment.

So sit back and relax. When your stuff comes through your OSO will let you know. Don't think you can change anything. In the grand scheme of things you're a drop of water in the ocean. The only people who should be calling to find out the status of your package is the recruiting staff from the district you're coming in through. If you start jumping the chain of command you're in for an ass chewing, and they may even take your contact away from you. Welcome to the military.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm going to disagree with Swanee on this one.

Your frustration is justified and unfortunately it's not atypical when dealing with Navy medical, particularly for non-urgencies like precomm physicals. I do agree that you are just a drop in the bucket, but I would argue that's why you should adjust metaphors and be the squeaky wheel instead. There may be nothing to be done, but if you sit back and wait you risk spending way longer in the abyss than needs be. Mrs Fester is going through something similar now, trying to get off a med hold so she can resume reserve drills.

I also agree that you shouldn't jump the chain, but going up the chain isn't the same thing as jumping the chain. If the person you talk to doesn't have answers or can't/won't help, ask who is the right person to talk to. Lather, rinse, repeat until desired results achieved. In any military bureaucracy, there's always one person who can make a decision - and it's not necessarily the CO or whatever. Usually it turns out to be some random admin Chief or GS-9 in some office. The fun is trying to figure out who that person is.

Sorry I don't have any specific advice. But don't try to sit back and wait out the system. That's like playing chicken with a glacier.

jstack

Well I respectfully disagree that it is absurd. I've been waiting since June on 1 signature. Also, at no point did I attempt or wish to attempt to jump the chain of command. I just find it hard to believe that there is absolutly nothing I can do other than sit and wait. Thank you for the advice though.