• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

jmeff

Long-time lurker and first-time poster.

Is there a more current version of the competitive profiles than what was included with the original post in 2013? Perhaps including more communities than just those specified in the original post?

LadyT

I suppose I will throw my name into the hat. I am currently applying for INTEL, but I am also considering applying for SWO or SUPPLY. My stats are as follows:

Non-prior 27 y/o female
OAR: 57
B.A in Psychology (GPA: 3.3)
JD (GPA: 3.26); law license
LOR: Dean of Law School, Professor, Former Supervisor (employer) x2
Experience: president of student organizations (college and law school); ran my own law practice.

Any thoughts as to how I might fare with the SWO and/or SUPPLY board?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any thoughts as to how I might fare with the SWO and/or SUPPLY board?
your package/stats are competitive for all three, but your best shot by far, is SWO.:)

1. Both Intel and Supply slots have been scarce recently, and applicants have been numerous.

2. Of the few Intel applicants selected, almost all are Navy priors with 'Spook' experience.

3. If you put SWO as 2nd or 3rd choice, word is out, that the board won't even consider it (hurt SWO feelings?).

Sooo.... decision time. If you REALLY want a Navy commission, recommend you make SWO first choice.;)
BzB

torpedotor

As someone who doesn't know much of anything, I applied for Intel (with what I thought was a pretty competitive package) as my first choice and didn't get it, but I did get SWO (my second choice). I'd say go SWO!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For Supply, they're looking for business and technical majors. The whole person concept is definitely into play with these boards. One little blemish (poor ASTB score, etc.) can significantly lower your chances of selection.

RHworth

New Member and First time poster:

I am interested in becoming a Navy Officer but I do not have my heart set on any one program. I would love Intel, but with my background I feel I would be a better fit for something in Business & Legal. I am told by my OR that the only program I qualify for is Intel. I know with my age that my options are limited. Has anyone here joined in their 30’s with any luck in other programs? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Looking at your stats your recruiter is right (somewhat) and that the only opportunities available to you are information dominance programs (Intel, information warfare, Information professional). If you have 5+ years of a professional civilian background the reserves might be another option for you.

dorrus

Is the profile of 3.4 GPA, 50 OAR score still considered competitive for SWO in 2014?
I am unable to make the October 6 board but I am planning to put in my package for the one after that.

exNavyOffRec

Is the profile of 3.4 GPA, 50 OAR score still considered competitive for SWO in 2014?
I am unable to make the October 6 board but I am planning to put in my package for the one after that.

"competitive profiles" are subjective, if you are around it you should get a look, but if a person has a 3.4 and 50 with nothing else how do you think he will stack up if everyone else at that board has 3.7 + 55 OAR's, all Division 1 athletes and they all have leadership.

put together the best application you can and see what happens.

SDSwimmer

Hello everyone. I came to this site hoping to gain information and suggestions to better prepare me for my future in the Navy. I recently signed an enlisted CTN contract and I'm scheduled to ship in 6 months. I'm hoping to get a skill/trade that will be valuable and a great asset to have when searching for employment in the public/private sector when I decide to leave the Navy. I've been told I should be slapped in the face for not at least attempting to turn in a OCS package with a BS Degree. I have strengths, but I have a few glaring weaknesses as well that would probably put a damper on my chances. My strongest attribute is my athletic talent and willpower to keep going when the tank is empty. Here's a brief summary of my credentials:

Pros: Firefighter I Academy, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT, Ocean Lifeguard, Strong Athletic History - Elite Ironman 70.3 Triathlete, Clean Background - no drugs, moving violations, or criminal history, healthy, LOR from: Fire Chief, College Professor, Retired Lieutenant Commander.
Cons: BS Environmental Management - 2.6 GPA, Gaps in employment, 28 years old

I've scanned through the list of OCS programs and one's that intrigue me are Pilot/Aviation, Information Warfare, and Intelligence Officer. From what I have gathered I have no chance at the Intel or Cyber related programs, and my best bet is to go enlisted at a CTN and prove myself worthy. Wanted to get input on the hurdles I may face and any advice that will help in the matter of going enlisted to officer. Thank you for any help provided. I appreciate it.

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone. I came to this site hoping to gain information and suggestions to better prepare me for my future in the Navy. I recently signed an enlisted CTN contract and I'm scheduled to ship in 6 months. I'm hoping to get a skill/trade that will be valuable and a great asset to have when searching for employment in the public/private sector when I decide to leave the Navy. I've been told I should be slapped in the face for not at least attempting to turn in a OCS package with a BS Degree. I have strengths, but I have a few glaring weaknesses as well that would probably put a damper on my chances. My strongest attribute is my athletic talent and willpower to keep going when the tank is empty. Here's a brief summary of my credentials:

Pros: Firefighter I Academy, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT, Ocean Lifeguard, Strong Athletic History - Elite Ironman 70.3 Triathlete, Clean Background - no drugs, moving violations, or criminal history, healthy, LOR from: Fire Chief, College Professor, Retired Lieutenant Commander.
Cons: BS Environmental Management - 2.6 GPA, Gaps in employment, 28 years old

I've scanned through the list of OCS programs and one's that intrigue me are Pilot/Aviation, Information Warfare, and Intelligence Officer. From what I have gathered I have no chance at the Intel or Cyber related programs, and my best bet is to go enlisted at a CTN and prove myself worthy. Wanted to get input on the hurdles I may face and any advice that will help in the matter of going enlisted to officer. Thank you for any help provided. I appreciate it.

your age eliminates you from aviation, your GPA pretty much kills you for the other programs, if you want to be and officer your best bet would be to do really well as enlisted and apply for LDO when eligible.

SDSwimmer

your age eliminates you from aviation, your GPA pretty much kills you for the other programs, if you want to be and officer your best bet would be to do really well as enlisted and apply for LDO when eligible.

Thank you for the response. Talked to another officer recruiter this morning and the only program I would have the slightest chance at it is SEAL, but my GPA would cripple me and I'm not interested in that route anyhow. I prefer to go the cyber/technology route because that field has and is booming right now in the public and private sector.