• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos of Wings

NUFO06

None
th

A7Dave

pilot
Ok, the A-4 tattoo is a nice touch. Otherwise, forget it. Just make sure when you get your wings, a buddy punches them in. You won't need a tattoo. I can still feel mine. Thanks Tinman and JT.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If you have to ask on a message board about getting a tattoo, then you shouldn't get it.

On a side note, with the whole crack down on hazing thing, punching in rank/ warfare devices is a no-no nowadays.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...On a side note, with the whole crack down on hazing thing, punching in rank/ warfare devices is a no-no nowadays.

That has been the case since I was winged way back it in the dark ages and yet it is still done often, pretty hard to punish a wife/mother/father who ain't in the service for punching in rank/wings.

Sonog

pilot
At wingings these days they tell us in a brief beforehand that tacking on the wings is prohibited. But when someone's retired Naval Aviator dad or brother does it on stage unpromted, what are they going to do, stop the ceremony? When I saw it happen everyone laughed like "oh thats classic"

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Mine were tacked on by my dad...presiding O-6 laughed and I'm still here...
Pickle

Same here. May have helped that my dad was an O-6. I spent the rest of the day with blood spots on my chokers. He pinned on the same wings he was blood pinned with a few decades previously, complete with a careers worth of tarnish. I couldn't have been prouder. I have a set of 14 karat gold wings, but my dad's mean much more to me. And he made me drink my wings later in the day...