• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-15C Crash in Western VA

brownshoe

Contributor

jmcquate

Contributor
Why what do you mean Pickle? Shucks, she's an "on staff expert."
She was just doing the math. The F-16 beat the F-17 in the LWFC and the F-17 evolved into the FA-18. We'La a twin engine F-16. 3 degrees of separation. But seriously, I hope the driver is OK. I knew some Airline pilots that flew with that squadron when I lived in Boston. They were the first Eagles over NYC on 9/11.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt - that she couldn't see that they were throwing up F-15 pictures on screen and that she was just reading the teleprompter, until she said "they don't train for an air-to-ground mission" which the F-16 most certainly does, but the -15C does not. She's got all sorts of wires crossed here, and I'm not even sure what platform she thinks she's talking about. I know spouses that could tell you that, and children who could have got it right.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Maybe she should've chair flown that presentation a little better...

In all seriousness, I think she knew she was wrong...but decided to go with it once she was committed. Lord knows I've done it...in briefs, during flights, in debriefs, at the bar, when talking to my kids...you get it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So they are still looking for the pilot. That's a tough part of Virginia to be alone and unafraid on the ground waiting for a pick up. Hopefully he was able to get to his seat pan. As much as I bitched about having to wear all of our survival gear on the vest, it sure would be nice to have it all within arms reach when you need it.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
He's in the "pack your banjo" neighborhood...really hoping he's laid up in front if a fire with a twisted ankle...

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
Swanee:
What is the "seat pan?"

Also, is it normal for a pilot to be missing for so long? I guess I don't know much about how search and rescue missions function, and I doubt Hollywood is much of a source. What could be holding up the mission (assuming one day of searching is actually as long as I think it is)?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When you eject, the parachute deploys and the main part of the ejection seat separates from you. What is left behind is the part attached to your butt, known as the seat pan. There are lots of things in it you'd like to have if you suddenly find yourself amongst the snakes and bugs as opposed to the birds and blue sky.

To be blunt, it's never "normal" for a pilot to be missing, length of time notwithstanding. It's generally bad to speculate, but they are in a remote area of VA with few roads. You can't see as much from a helicopter as you might think, especially if there are trees involved. Add to that any number of scenarios where the pilot is hurt, unconscious, confused, or lacking signaling equipment and you have your answer.

FWIW, a Navy helo crashed in similar territory a few years back. Rescuers knew where they were and it still took them an entire day to get to them because of snow.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The AF guys also don't wear survival gear on a vest like the Navy and Marine types do. They just have a couple of things attached to their harness.