• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMEX Platinum

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spent some time in the Centurion Lounge at DFW this week. It's across from d17, in one of those stand-alone buildings they have in there (above the duty free, by fuddruckers). Included services (meaning no money is exchanged) I see are locker luggage storage, high end liquor and custom cocktails, good beer selection, "quiet area," fast dedicated wifi, a nice buffet with "modernized" tex mex (plus the kitchen will make you regular stuff, sandwiches, chicken I f you ask), a spa with manicures/massages/skin treatments, PLENTY of electrical outlets, showers, and business center. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They do accept tips, so bring cash.

Que3n

pilot
Does anyone know how/when they waive the annual fee?

I ship for OCS on 14 DEC but am looking to take advantage of the Platinum card for some travel between now and then and wondering if it would be okay to get it now then have the fee waived post-commissioning or whenever I am actually considered a service member. Thanks in advance.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My understanding is there's a DEERS lookup for companies to verify you are actually in the military. To Teejc88, you can get it now, pay the $450 initially, and probably get reimbursed after you commission, but that's a bit of risk on your part.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Anyone have any experience with the Visa Black Card? They sent me an application and it seems similar to AMEX Platinum, but I'm not sure if they will also waive the annual fee.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Just a heads-up for cardholders, if you weren't aware, the annual $200 airline fee reimbursement CAN be used to buy gift cards with certain airlines (make sure you select the airline on your Amex account online before you buy the gift cards), so if you forgot, you still have about a week to go. I purchased mine from Southwest on the 18th, was reimbursed on the 24th. To make sure your airline goes along with this regardless of what the fine print says, go here , search for "airline reimbursement fee," and find the thread for your particular airline.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting. They're site says this:
  1. This benefit doesn't offer credit toward airline tickets, mileage points purchases or mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, upgrades, duty–free purchases, or award tickets.

I can't figure out how I check what airline I have assigned. It let's me "enroll," and then politely tells me that I've already enrolled and I can't change my airline until January, but doesn't tell me what airline.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I'm sure if you call they can tell you which airline you picked.

I recently had success buying $200 in Delta gift cards and getting reimbursed. On the advice of a zillion internet forums, I bought 4 $50 cards instead of one $200 card. Some people who bought a $200 card didn't get reimbursed, and the system seems to be based at least partly on amount, since people even reported luck getting reimbursed for tickets if the amount was low enough (usually due to miles or gift cards being applied). I bought all 4 cards (I did the electronic certificates, not actual cards) in one transaction, but apparently that transaction looks different when charged than one $200 card.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I can't figure out how I check what airline I have assigned. It let's me "enroll," and then politely tells me that I've already enrolled and I can't change my airline until January, but doesn't tell me what airline.
From the Platinum card page, I clicked Benefits -> Airline Fee Credit -> Get Started, and then they have you login again.
This is what my page looks like:

pic.png

So it should be right next to the last five digits of the card number. If not, then I'd call the number on the back of the card like villanelle said.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm sure if you call they can tell you which airline you picked.

Yeah, but then you gotta pick up the phone and dial and stuff. It's Christmas, I can't be expected to do all that work!

From the Platinum card page, I clicked Benefits -> Airline Fee Credit -> Get Started, and then they have you login again.
This is what my page looks like:

That's where I went and I didn't get that. Interesting. Looks like I'll have to give them a call, not that it matters this late in the year. I forgot to buy my two Delta "lunches" with my AMEX last week while traveling anyway, so whatevs.