• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M1A Scout advice

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've got a M1A Scout with a synthetic stock and I'm thinking about selling it. I just don't really shoot it that much, and since 7.62 is pricier, it's not towards the top of my "take to the range" list. My issue is that the previous owner butchered the stock trying to put a rail and bipod on it. I personally didn't care, but if I end up trying to sell it, I'd like to throw a low cost stock that makes it look a little better.

My Google searches have yielded a wide range of options and a wide range of prices. It looks like one go to source is on vacation for another month or so, so I may still do that, but here's the basic question: what's the best value for a simple stock replacement? I'm fine with putting wood on it, as long as I can put the soft butt pad back on. Also, is removing the top handguard similar to removing it on a Garand? I've never done it on a M1A, but done it several times on a Garand.

I know I'm not going to make any money on selling it, so I'm just trying to find an economical option to make it more presentable.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Disassembly of the weapon from its stock and hand guard is pretty simply. You can find videos of that on youtube. I would look for a surplus gi stock. They're not wood, but they do the job. There's two big m14 web forums that a quick google search will show you. They have classifieds where you can find wood or synthetic stocks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Disassembly of the weapon from its stock and hand guard is pretty simply. You can find videos of that on youtube. I would look for a surplus gi stock. They're not wood, but they do the job. There's two big m14 web forums that a quick google search will show you. They have classifieds where you can find wood or synthetic stocks.

Seems like a synthetic stock is more expensive than a simple wood stock though. That's why I was steering away from that...not to mention the extra weight.

I have been debating buying an M1 derivative because I live in CA. You like the Scout? Why are you selling?

I actually bought this rifle while I was in CA. It even came with 6 CM mags (back when you could legally sell them in parts) and a Surefire brake. I like it for what it is, a lightweight .308 gun with a proven design, but I just don't shoot it much. It's just a plinker, which is fine, but after 10 or 20 rounds, I get bored. I'm also not a huge fan of the stock (sage). It's nice and lightweight, but I'm not convinced it's as rigid as it should be for the weapon system. From what I've read, people seem to be happier with the wood and fiberglass stocks.

If I did sell it, it would be the perfect excuse to get the "new" POF 5 pistol. I'm really digging what I'm seeing, and with eFile only taking 15-30 days for Form 1s.....hmmm.....

Renegade One

None
Sounds like a great central California "hog buster" My primo pork-hunting bud uses nothing else… I have no idea what the cost of 7.62 "lead free" ammo may be these days...

Sounds like a great central California "hog buster" My primo pork-hunting bud uses nothing else… I have no idea what the cost of 7.62 "lead free" ammo may be these days...
What's crazy is that CA actually charges money for a hog tag. You have to pay to get rid of a pest animal! Other states actually have bounties; paying you to take them out.

Renegade One

None
Yeah…craziness takes many forms in CA. But there're "big bucks" in hunting permissions/land usage/guided hunts.

A7Dave

pilot
What's crazy is that CA actually charges money for a hog tag. You have to pay to get rid of a pest animal! Other states actually have bounties; paying you to take them out.

Little late to this thread. Yah, I got a laugh over some of the reality TV shows (Wildlife Troopers?) that depicted CA wildlife officers busting guys for "poaching" pigs. Granted, the guys they busted were absolutely poachers and certainly respected no game laws, but I was amazed that shooting pigs had evolved into potential crime. When we used to hunt them at Vandenberg AFB, there was no tag, just a hunting license.

A shorty M1A would be perfect. If I lived there, a Garand would be another good weapon.

A7Dave

pilot
Isn't there a guy who advertises in Shotgun News that sells surplus M-14 stocks? Might be an option.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not sure what guy that may be, but it's possible it's this guy:

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/

He was the one I mentioned that was on vacation, although now that's about to no longer be an issue.

I'm also trying to figure out if you can slide the Scout butt pad into the end of a GI stock, replacing the metal plate. Yet another thing I need to Google.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I can't help with the "fit issue" with a Scout but I can speak to the US GI M14 fiberglass stocks Fred's sells. I have two and they are bomb proof. Very ridged and as far as I can tell un-breakable. Some are prettier than others but they take paint well. They are great range stocks as you don't have to worry about dinging up any pretty walnut. My boys have stolen both my M1A's but they are still wearing the GI stocks. If I was going to war with a stock M1A or M14 that's exactly the stock it would wear.

Fred's is a one man mom and pop shop with a warehouse full of junk for M1A's and Garands. It's been years since I've seen him but the guy used to have a pile of US GI web slings that must have been 10 feet high. He's an old eccentric crotchety Korean War vet that can shoot lights out with a stock M14. He's not know for his fast shipping but if you don't mind a bit of a wait his stuff is good to go. For the record Fred was his dog. The owners name is Jack.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks. From his site, it looks like he may be looking to retire, so I should probably just bite the bullet and grab a GI stock. Yet another thing to buy...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Thanks. From his site, it looks like he may be looking to retire, so I should probably just bite the bullet and grab a GI stock. Yet another thing to buy...

Jack is a different bird. I think he's always been retired. He used to run a fantastic rifle range in central NC when my kids were growing up. Reactive pop ups at 200, 300 and 500 yards. Military rifle shoots once a month. Points off for optics and mouse guns. Iron sighted M1A's and FAL's ruled. My preteen/teen sons and I used to go there every month.

My favorite event was a fire team assault where your fire team started out prone. When time started you had to knock all the pop ups down from the 200 all the way out to the 500. Then you got on line and started moving down range. (Safety officer trailing closely behind) At about 100 yards the 200 pop ups would come up unannounced and you shot them standing or kneeling. Then you fast walked to the 200 yard burm, climbed to the top, proned out and shot the pop ups at 300 and 500. That was just one of several events. Every now and then we shot an event that included a Barrett 50 suppressing the 500 pop ups from the firing line while the rest of your team shot the 300 yrd targets from behind the 200 burm.

Very strict RSO's and I never once felt unsafe but big boy rules applied. No excuses ever. Weapon not sighted in correctly adjust on the fly. Grass too high in front of the 500 yard pop ups? Too damn bad. Pouring rain and hurricane winds too damn bad. Grass fire started by tracers, get your ass down range and put it out.

Jack was a true believer in every man/woman should be rifleman even if you happened to be shooting an unfamiliar "battlefield pickup". At least once during every competition he would make everyone leave their weapon in place move over one shooting position. You never knew what you might be shooting at that point. Might be an Enfield, Mauser, Garand, M1A, 03A3 or maybe the rare AR15.

He doesn't get good marks for his customer service for sure but as far as I'm concerned he's worth buying a few do dads from just because he's such a character. My boys are better Marines because of Jack.