• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF to USN Inter-Service Transfer for Color Vision

bmather9

I just sent you a private message with the contact I had for inter-service transfer in TN. That was a few years ago now, so I'm not sure if it's still a good contact. If you don't find the number you need, I'd suggest to just start calling numbers you can find until you talk to someone who can forward you.

Noggin

Quick update, six months out from my initial DQ. My ETP has made its way up to the generals in Air Education and Training Command. They paid a lot of personal attention to my case. Ordered an additional, in depth general medical review of color vision for the Air Force. Could take yet another 6+ months for a decision. However, they are going for a full revision of AF regs. The two generals (one being the commander) reviewing my case are siding with me on mild green deficiency and are trying to get their color vision "experts" to really qualify why they are DQing all initial people while allowing anyone already with wings to continue. (AKA, how can it be so catastrophic to safety for pre-winged people and not after winging....HMMMM). They want to present a solid case to the CSAF when they route it up next.

Unclear what the outcome will be but my intuition from all the communique is that the generals want the policy relaxed from 100% DQ and are challenging the AF color vision "experts" to prove their 100% DQ case or pony up and figure out better guidelines. It is possible that next year, mild green deficients won't need to try to perform an IST to Navy and could be allowed to fly. Stay tuned.

bmather9

Great work! If data is needed from people who have completed IST's to fly because of color vision DQs in the USAF, let me know and I'll be your first data point; I have contact info for a few others who have done similar things. Keep it up and keep us updated.

clintaf

Quick update, six months out from my initial DQ. My ETP has made its way up to the generals in Air Education and Training Command. They paid a lot of personal attention to my case. Ordered an additional, in depth general medical review of color vision for the Air Force. Could take yet another 6+ months for a decision. However, they are going for a full revision of AF regs. The two generals (one being the commander) reviewing my case are siding with me on mild green deficiency and are trying to get their color vision "experts" to really qualify why they are DQing all initial people while allowing anyone already with wings to continue. (AKA, how can it be so catastrophic to safety for pre-winged people and not after winging....HMMMM). They want to present a solid case to the CSAF when they route it up next.

Unclear what the outcome will be but my intuition from all the communique is that the generals want the policy relaxed from 100% DQ and are challenging the AF color vision "experts" to prove their 100% DQ case or pony up and figure out better guidelines. It is possible that next year, mild green deficients won't need to try to perform an IST to Navy and could be allowed to fly. Stay tuned.

Hey guys, just signed up last night after seeing this thread. Same boat here and figured getting our heads/information together on this may help! If what you say is really happening let me know I could provide some information as well... See story below (copy and pasted from my profile btw). Pretty nuts how mine went down too (including a failed physical DQ and then a passed physical resulting in another DQ)

I am currently an Aircraft Maintenance Officer in the USAF who originally had a pilot slot in 2011, but unfortunately "color deficiency" has kept me from that dream; so far.

I was selected for a pilot slot in February 2011 and later disqualified by the computerized color vision test that the USAF switched too for the Flying Class 1 physical at Wright Patterson AFB. The color green is what disqualified me barely with a 70/100 score. 75/100 is the passing standard on all colors (red, green, and blue). I didn't take that no for an answer. I am currently at my first duty station, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam and have been assigned as a maintenance officer working C-17's, F-22's, and KC-135's which combined with my dream has driven me to go get a new physical completed to apply for a pilot slot again. I passed the new physical completely computer color vision test and all in Aug 2014. My physical was then sent up to AETC to replace my old failure. AETC said a waiver must be approved for that to happen and they sent a waiver up to AFMSA. AFMSA kicked back asking me to retake the color vision test because they thought it was really weird I failed in 2011 but passed it in 2014. I went back to take the color vision test and failed the green portion barely again just like I did in 2011. Needless to say the Air Force disqualified me again... I am now trying to find what possibilities there are for me to get in the cockpit! It has a been a long road so far chasing this dream but I am not going to give up until I get a pilot slot again or I am too old... Any help, advice, or contacts from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

bmather9

Other than what Noggin is working on, trying to get the rules changed in the USAF etc, your best bet is to transfer services to fly. The differing regs on color vision make this possible, but red tape continues to make it difficult to accomplish. If this is something you're seriously interested in, PM me and I can forward you the information that I have.
Hey guys, just signed up last night after seeing this thread. Same boat here and figured getting our heads/information together on this may help! If what you say is really happening let me know I could provide some information as well... See story below (copy and pasted from my profile btw). Pretty nuts how mine went down too (including a failed physical DQ and then a passed physical resulting in another DQ)

I am currently an Aircraft Maintenance Officer in the USAF who originally had a pilot slot in 2011, but unfortunately "color deficiency" has kept me from that dream; so far.

I was selected for a pilot slot in February 2011 and later disqualified by the computerized color vision test that the USAF switched too for the Flying Class 1 physical at Wright Patterson AFB. The color green is what disqualified me barely with a 70/100 score. 75/100 is the passing standard on all colors (red, green, and blue). I didn't take that no for an answer. I am currently at my first duty station, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam and have been assigned as a maintenance officer working C-17's, F-22's, and KC-135's which combined with my dream has driven me to go get a new physical completed to apply for a pilot slot again. I passed the new physical completely computer color vision test and all in Aug 2014. My physical was then sent up to AETC to replace my old failure. AETC said a waiver must be approved for that to happen and they sent a waiver up to AFMSA. AFMSA kicked back asking me to retake the color vision test because they thought it was really weird I failed in 2011 but passed it in 2014. I went back to take the color vision test and failed the green portion barely again just like I did in 2011. Needless to say the Air Force disqualified me again... I am now trying to find what possibilities there are for me to get in the cockpit! It has a been a long road so far chasing this dream but I am not going to give up until I get a pilot slot again or I am too old... Any help, advice, or contacts from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Other than what Noggin is working on, trying to get the rules changed in the USAF etc, your best bet is to transfer services to fly. The differing regs on color vision make this possible, but red tape continues to make it difficult to accomplish. If this is something you're seriously interested in, PM me and I can forward you the information that I have.

Noggin

Clint, I sent you a message via the Global. I can spin you up through outside channels. mareid is also PACAF and working on a package to join me/us now.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was going to say, go Navy. Granted, I've been retired for a year and a half but doubt it had changed that much. Does the Navy still rely on the Falant color vision test? Thank God for that test as I was able to fly navy for twenty years but would never have stepped foot in an AF aircraft (again, thank God).

mareid2

pilot
I was going to say, go Navy. Granted, I've been retired for a year and a half but doubt it had changed that much. Does the Navy still rely on the Falant color vision test? Thank God for that test as I was able to fly navy for twenty years but would never have stepped foot in an AF aircraft (again, thank God).

It is still based on the FALANT. Easy to pass but slots are difficult to come by. I had the whole package into them for a slot this year but didn't process in time. All FY15 slots are already dedicated to af academy applicants. Feast or famine process

clintaf

Thanks for the advice fellas, Noggin got in touch with me and I'm working the same thing that he put together now. Hopefully I'll be able to get mine attached to his and help our case.

mareid2

pilot
Excuse my last cynical response, turns out the new CDR that took over didn't share the same sentiment about all the slots being locked up for the current year. Just saw an email from PERSCOM today welcoming me to the team. After a very long and tedious road to another shot at flight school, it appears I'm finally PCola-bound! I'm still trying to convince myself this is real life...

mareid2

pilot
I'm hoping to have my orders cut sometime late next week or maybe the following and it looks like I'll be getting everything started around Feb. Does anyone have any advice on baseline info/knowledge I should start going over to make the transition from about 2.5 years of AF life to Navy?

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
I'm hoping to have my orders cut sometime late next week or maybe the following and it looks like I'll be getting everything started around Feb. Does anyone have any advice on baseline info/knowledge I should start going over to make the transition from about 2.5 years of AF life to Navy?

Mareid2,

Welcome to the Navy! I too was in the Air Force but my sentence was almost 14 years! I would suggest that you brush up on all the Navy ranks. I would also spend some time on this site http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/uniforms/uniformregulations/Pages/default.aspx . The uniform regs are a bit different and a bunch of your awards and ribbons will not transfer to the Navy. Make sure you only wear what is authorized on the Navy uniform or you might have a friendly Chief explain the uniform regs to you. I saw this happen to a LCDR very recently after the Chief quizzed me about my ribbons.

Good luck and again, welcome to the Navy!

Bam

LXIX

USAF Civ OTS Pilot Select here. Fell just short on the CCT (70 on green), waiting on a waiver but was told it’s extremely unlikely. Never had any problems in the past, have an FAA Class 1, etc. I’m pursuing some third party anomaloscope testing, not sure if it’ll help my case at all but at the very least I need to know for myself.

It looks like I’ve got two options:
  1. Attempt an ETP in the USAF

2. Decline any new job the USAF offers me and apply for Navy OCS
I’d love to hear from anyone here regarding the first route. It sounds like Noggin and clintaf have experience with this. I’m not at all familiar with this process and would like to be prepared and have something to come back with if my waiver is denied.

Regarding the second route, I’ve got killer ASTB-E scores and had 90% of a package together, but pulled the trigger on AF OTS and got selected there first. I saw in another thread that the next SNA board is in October (which is about when I’ll hear back on my waiver). If my anomaloscope testing comes back showing deficiency, it sounds like this will be the way to go.

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone has to offer.

bmather9

USAF Civ OTS Pilot Select here. Fell just short on the CCT (70 on green), waiting on a waiver but was told it’s extremely unlikely. Never had any problems in the past, have an FAA Class 1, etc. I’m pursuing some third party anomaloscope testing, not sure if it’ll help my case at all but at the very least I need to know for myself.

It looks like I’ve got two options:
  1. Attempt an ETP in the USAF

2. Decline any new job the USAF offers me and apply for Navy OCS
I’d love to hear from anyone here regarding the first route. It sounds like Noggin and clintaf have experience with this. I’m not at all familiar with this process and would like to be prepared and have something to come back with if my waiver is denied.

Regarding the second route, I’ve got killer ASTB-E scores and had 90% of a package together, but pulled the trigger on AF OTS and got selected there first. I saw in another thread that the next SNA board is in October (which is about when I’ll hear back on my waiver). If my anomaloscope testing comes back showing deficiency, it sounds like this will be the way to go.

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone has to offer.

I can pretty much guarantee you the waiver will be denied; back when I was in the same situation, the regulations stated that there are no waivers for color vision for Class 1 medical in the USAF. I can also guarantee that your anomaloscope will come back with some type of color abnormality. Regardless of how mild, or how it doesn't affect you, the USAF won't care. I can't bring myself to tell you not to try an ETP, but I tried everything and the USAF refused to budge. A few years later Noggin was in the same position, and I saw him start out with a serious determination to make this happen, but from everything I've seen, the USAF just won't change it's mind. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.

Once you're on active things actually seem more difficult. I heard recently that there are no aviation IST's available for this year or next year into the Navy, so your only hope would be to get a spot through OCS. If you do try to go for an ETP I'd be glad to help you.

clintaf

So almost a year later and here I am again. LXIX reached out to me and I responded tonight with the below information. Maybe I can help some folks out later down the road and they'll get lucky! Who knows?

"Hey, thanks for reaching out. Sad to hear about another story like this though...

I actually just got the response to my exception to policy last month. I made it through my squadron, group, wing, and to the 11 AF/CC where it was denied and stopped.

Putting together the exception to policy was an extremely long process. I had some help/documents/templates from some people that had started them, and I started mine. No one is really going to help you get the ETP done other than yourself, at least I learned that. I had to talk and almost teach everyone through the process while learning it myself, write the letters, the arguments, the stories, the everything. Then just get it coordinated for approval and signatures. It took almost 6 months from start to finish and then another 4 after that for it to be approved through the chain to the point where it got denied last month. My WG/CC called me and told me when he found out.

I did have a ton of help from leadership throughout the wing backing me, signing letters, and getting me into simulators with NVG's and what not for practical testing on the displays and HUD and everything though. They were all willing to sign my documents and definitely gave me the ammo I needed to have for a decent fight. They got me in the F-22 and C-17 sims and I had no issues seeing anything on displays or HUDs and they signed letters saying they had gone with me and that I had no issues.. (My WG/CC, WG/CV, and OG/CC that is)

I thought I had a strong package and argument as well. I just don't think they want to open the can of worms with the color vision thing for anyone. The only option for me now would be to switch services, as I'm pretty sure my chances of flying for the Air Force are now squashed.

I would love to help you out with anything you need or want if you are trying to do one. It's a lot of work for a pretty obvious outcome and I knew it going in. I just couldn't leave any options on the table so I pressed on with it to make them tell me no one more time or maybe get lucky with a yes. I highly recommend doing it if this was your dream and you want to be able to say you've tried everything.

As for the Navy transfer stuff, I've got some contacts that I could probably get you in touch with to help you learn that process too. Just let me know and best of luck."

-Clint