• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY15 STA-21 Applicants

Hey Paul, how was Calculus online through University of Oklahoma? Hard/Easy? Give me the full run down.

I'm stationed on a sub and took the classes through NCPACE. With that being said it was not pleasant, but I was able to mitigate some of the set backs from taking it by myself. First off NC State uses the same book that OU(different edition). I bring NC State up because they have recorded lectures of both there Calc I and Calc II classes. They more or less go lesson for lesson over the book. Watching the videos went a long way in helping me understand the material. It was just like sitting in a class and listening to the teacher lecture. Second I utilized the officers at my command. I was lucky enough to have an officer who was a math major on my boat. And as a bonus she was a math tutor in college. So whenever I had trouble with a topic I would go to her. Overall I did not do too badly. I rushed through Calc I and got a C (finished it in a month to put it in my package before I left on deployment). Calc II I took my time and got a B. In my opinion Calc II was a good bit harder than Calc I. Also if you end up taking it through OU, do a google search for the books. The book, solution manual, and study guide cost around $600.00 together, but you should be able to find a .pdf copy of the book and solution manual at the very least. An older edition will work as well. You just have to pay close attention to the titles of each lesson. 8/10 of the lessons will go in the exact same order as the newest edition. The ones that don't will be in the book some where.

For the past two times I have been in off-crew (my sub has two crews), I have taken a full class load at UMUC. If anyone has any other questions about NCPACE, CLEP, using TA, or taking online classes feel free to ask. Unfortunately I am 1 of 3 people at my command who has used TA since I've been on the boat. I am the only one that I know of who has taken a CLEP test. In my experience the Navy education benefits are drastically under utilized by active duty sailors.

Do you have a link to that facebook page?

STA-21 Facebook page link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/105245126219036/

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
How is the first 9 days wait for you guys/gals so far??

If this is your second or third application, what have you done to improve from the previous year???

James_j7

FY15 STA-21 CORE Applicant
Well, I didnt get to finish my package this year due to the interviews not finished. I could only start them early June but due to busy schedule at 7th fleet my CO didnt get a chance to give me an interview.
I do have a question, The LORs that i have for FY-15 will they be good for FY-16? or i have to contact the people again and ask them to change it to FY-16?
Thank you
I agree with Paul. Ive seen other packages made it with at least prior to FY LORs submitted. It's not about time but about substance. at the end of the day we must ask, "Does this LOR assist with giving a full person perspective for the board?" However, i do believe when your in the "Crunch" pile during the reviews and your neck to neck with someone else's package that is very much similar to yours, small details like getting the FY changed does make a difference.

James_j7

FY15 STA-21 CORE Applicant
How is the first 9 days wait for you guys/gals so far??

If this is your second or third application, what have you done to improve from the previous year???
1. This year my personal statement is stronger. I put more effort into it because i knew a personal statement could make or break me. I thought my Personal Statement last year was awesome, but after going through some english classes and discussing it with several people, i realized i could have done more.
2. A Strong External Nomination Board. I came to my boards with the best uniform, squared away smile, and with a positive outlook.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I had so much help from my college linguistics professor when I was doing my STA-21 applications. She was a grammar Nazi!!! She tore my personal statement apart and helped me make it 100% perfect when it comes to grammar. I think that goes a long way in the eyes of the board members.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
I'm stationed on a sub and took the classes through NCPACE. With that being said it was not pleasant, but I was able to mitigate some of the set backs from taking it by myself. First off NC State uses the same book that OU(different edition). I bring NC State up because they have recorded lectures of both there Calc I and Calc II classes. They more or less go lesson for lesson over the book. Watching the videos went a long way in helping me understand the material. It was just like sitting in a class and listening to the teacher lecture. Second I utilized the officers at my command. I was lucky enough to have an officer who was a math major on my boat. And as a bonus she was a math tutor in college. So whenever I had trouble with a topic I would go to her. Overall I did not do too badly. I rushed through Calc I and got a C (finished it in a month to put it in my package before I left on deployment). Calc II I took my time and got a B. In my opinion Calc II was a good bit harder than Calc I. Also if you end up taking it through OU, do a google search for the books. The book, solution manual, and study guide cost around $600.00 together, but you should be able to find a .pdf copy of the book and solution manual at the very least. An older edition will work as well. You just have to pay close attention to the titles of each lesson. 8/10 of the lessons will go in the exact same order as the newest edition. The ones that don't will be in the book some where.

For the past two times I have been in off-crew (my sub has two crews), I have taken a full class load at UMUC. If anyone has any other questions about NCPACE, CLEP, using TA, or taking online classes feel free to ask. Unfortunately I am 1 of 3 people at my command who has used TA since I've been on the boat. I am the only one that I know of who has taken a CLEP test. In my experience the Navy education benefits are drastically under utilized by active duty sailors.
/

I'll probably just stick to taking it in class. I'm on shore duty so I have the time to complete CALC 1 and CALC 2 before next application. I'm applying for CEC so I'm working towards a BSEE. I am 34 hours away from my BSET currently but I was informed that I cannot apply for CEC without a waiver from the CEC Community Manager with said degree.

By the way....for those who don't know me I'll professionally introduce myself and my credentials.

ET1 (SW)
Applying: CEC/CORE
ACT: 25 Math/ 27 English
TIS: 6 YRS
College: Working on BS Electrical Engineering Technology 3.75GPA (ODU 91 Semester hours Completed)
Evals (new to old): P, EP, EP, EP, EP
Internal Board: 04, 05, 06/ Chaired by: 06
External: 03,04,05/ Charied by: 06
Awards: 1 COM, 3 NAM, Combat Action Badge
LOR: 3xO6, 2xO5
PFA: Excellent, Good, Excellent

AirGuy

Hi guys,

I'm considering enlisting in the Navy in hopes of becoming an officer one day.

I've read some general info about the STA-21 program so far. Can you guys tell me about how the CO recommendation works for the STA-21 program?

I noticed the program has no minimum time in service. But what is the likelihood of someone getting into STA-21 straight out of A-School? Whats the average in when people apply?

Lastly, are most people int he STA-21 applying for the same community that they are already part of? Does this increase your chance of getting into the program? For example, do most enlisted Nukes go for Officer Nukes vs going for NFO / Aviator? The reason I am asking is because I've read elsewhere on this forum that the Navy communities don't really like to trade people.

Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Hi guys,

I'm considering enlisting in the Navy in hopes of becoming an officer one day.

I've read some general info about the STA-21 program so far. Can you guys tell me about how the CO recommendation works for the STA-21 program?

I noticed the program has no minimum time in service. But what is the likelihood of someone getting into STA-21 straight out of A-School? Whats the average in when people apply?

Lastly, are most people int he STA-21 applying for the same community that they are already part of? Does this increase your chance of getting into the program? For example, do most enlisted Nukes go for Officer Nukes vs going for NFO / Aviator? The reason I am asking is because I've read elsewhere on this forum that the Navy communities don't really like to trade people.

Thanks.

If you want to be an officer then finish college and apply, enlisting to become an officer doesn't often end up well, and in regards to STA-21 the numbers have been shrinking.

Seabass1604

The wait has been filled with writing evals and flying for me. Can't complain but also can't wait for October (playoff baseball of course!)

RDBG

This wait is killing me! What's worse is the E6 exam is this Thursday which will be another result that I have to worry about. I'm glad a forum like this was created. The lessons learned from past participants have aided me in the production of my package. Anyways, below are my stats. Good luck to everyone.

YN2(SW/AW)
First application
Applying: Core
TIS: 4 YRS
BS in Business Management; 3.67 GPA
(2 classes away from AAS (67 credits) and completed Calc 1)
ACT: 21 English; 23 Math
Evals (Old to new): EP, EP, EP, EP, NOB, EP
Awards: 1 NAM, 1 MOVSM, 1 FLOC, 1 GCM, SOQ
Internal Board: Chair O6 (HRO), Members O6 (NFO), O5 (SWO), O5 (SWO) (perfect scores)
External Board: Chair O6 (SWO), O5 (SWO), o4 (SWO) (perfect scores)
LOR: VADM (SWO), BG (INF), CAPT (NFO, last CO), CAPT (SEAL), CMC
PFA: Outstanding, Outstanding, Outstanding
Prior Leadership: Prior JEA and CSADD president for over 600 junior Sailors and Marines