• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Sea Tour

NavyTerp06

HS/HSC transition pilot who took an NROTC shore duty 2 years ago. I understand this wasn't a competitive job and is way outside "the path" for a career in aviation. However, I'm about 1 year out from my disassociated sea tour and I'm looking at all the options. I'm welcoming all suggestions and experiences regarding a Shooter, TAO, LPD, LHD, CSG Staff, Air Ops, and Strike Ops. Thank you in advance.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
My advice? Do what you want and whatever makes you happy. Look for weird, off the path stuff. You are going to be fodder for any board after taking NROTC orders. That my sound harsh, but with the abysmal selection rates in the last few years, you would be chasing a brass ring for nothing but disappointment and I hate it when people blow smoke.

Are you looking to get out and use your Master's on the outside? I would start looking for a job that will network you into something. If the detailer is feeding you the "nothing but the boat" line, just remember that nobody cares about you like you and searching for orders without his help may be the best thing for you.

If you have to go to the boat, ask about staff jobs, aide jobs, etc. Those will give you the best chance to work an angle later on outside your community. Your community is going to do nothing for you from here on out. Don't rely on them to do what is in your best interest. You need to start looking way outside the box...there is some really great stuff out there that you and I have probably never even considered.

Best of luck, and I mean that.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
As long as you understand that you are now fodder for future boards. Not trying to be mean, but it is what it is. You should look for something that you will enjoy and/or will set you up for whatever you want to do after this. Will you want to try to transition to FTS, get out entirely, etc?

In all honesty you won't get a CAG staff job, or an Air Ops/Strike Ops job. Those go to guys who still have potential in the community. The other boat jobs are typical pain tours. An Aide job wouldn't be a bad choice if you could get it. Anther non-standard job that some people really enjoy is gunfire liaison officer with a Marine Unit.

Either way you'll probably spend a lot of time away from home, so don't just take the first shit job the detailer throws your way. If you still talk to any of your SWO, Marine, etc classmates, ask them if they have heard of any "different" jobs.

ReserveOfficerRecruiter

pilot
Are you looking to stay in or get out? I took a recruiting gig for my shore tour, knowing it would lead to a non-select for O-4 on my way out the door. I ended up taking an IA instead of a boat tour because it was slightly less painful.
On the plus side, I recommend looking into the CANREC program if you go SelRes when you get out. Recruiting isn't easy, but it's nice having that active duty paycheck for a few more years.

NavyTerp06

Thank you all so much. I absolutely want to stay in. I do not have any delusions regarding the likelihood of making 0-4 in the aviation community. I am also trying to determine if an "outside the box" tour is possible for me following the NROTC job. I am almost complete with my Masters in Criminal Justice hopefully with a 4.0 GPA (not bragging, I know it's CJ) and received a 20-credit certificate as well in Public Sector Management: Homeland Security concentration. At the end of this job, I will have 2 more yeas of obligated service before I am eligible to get out. Thoughts?

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
That degree program...what are you looking to do with it? Which companies/positions does your school have close ties with? Are those companies/positions a good fit for you? Can you set up informational interviews with people who have the kinds of jobs you might want to have 2.5 years from now? Do you have a mentor in that field? Those are my thoughts and that is how I'm approaching my post-Navy opportunties 4 years from now.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Avoid the boat at all costs. Ask about disassociated tours/IAs. Start broadening your appeal to outside firms by learning a skill such as programming - Codecamy helps here.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you thought about transitioning to another community prior to your first look at O-4? Maybe an IA/GSA is the way to go so you can transition.

IRfly

None
Stay away from the boat if you can--it's a load of complete bullshit where you as an aviator will pretend to lead people on a mission that everyone pretends is important. Bonus points while you watch actual aviators enjoy their jobs.

You're on the road to a 2 x FOS. Don't take overseas orders. Look to set yourself up geographically for when you get out.

Ralph

If you don't make 0-4 do you get kicked out or do are you able to continue to 20? Does it make it harder to get a SelRes gig?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
If you don't make 0-4 do you get kicked out or do are you able to continue to 20? Does it make it harder to get a SelRes gig?
Unless you have a lot of prior enlisted time you can't retire as a LT. The max time in rank won't allow it. You could get picked up by FTS and get promoted that way. I don't think it will drastically affect getting a SelRes gig, but the reserve guys here can give you a better idea.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It doesn't really affect SELRES, especially right now when this is the norm. I saw several 2x FOS (from last year) who picked up O-4 on this current SELRES board.

NavyTerp06

I'm leaning towards talking to the detailer and saying that a disassociated sea tour is not the right track for me. Like I said, I want to stay in, but I need to get out of the community in order to make that a reality. I have been searching for positions at DTRA and at ONI SPEAR to try and make a push for that. It seems like becoming a shooter or TAO is likely to be miserable for me and not help me in any way with making O-4 in our community or setting me up when I become a 2 x FOS. Comments?

samguitar

Flying a desk.
pilot
1x FOS may get released from comunity to go over to FTS. YMMV. In that case, you could:

Do whatever it takes to get C-12 orders -> FOS once -> apply for FTS (VR). -> once in FTS, you get two fresh looks at O-4 with good selection rates.

If not picked up by FTS at that time,

FOS 2x -> apply SELRES (VR) -> Leave active duty -> Pick up O-4 in SELRES -> reapply to FTS. Remember you'll have to pay back the severance from your retirement pay should you ever retire.