• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey you boatable people...what do you (or did you) do on the boat for leisure?

brownshoe

Contributor
FIFY: You mean these... ?;)
View attachment 13856
BzB
Pythagorean theorem shit? The heck with this, I getting another beer, Hugh!:)

And BTW... we (O's and E's) showed movies (projectors with reels, you youngsters) in the ready room and munched on stolen food from the mess decks. Oh... and we had a few drinks too. I'm just not sure where the booze came from (riiiight).;)

Random games. One that comes to mind was the "sandwich game" on the mess decks. Basically the rules were simple: if you left a sandwich unattended at any time it would be smashed. Sounds kind of pointless, but the game was going on at all times, for months. Inevitably on a bad food day someone would forget about the game, and go get a drink refill whilst leaving their PB&J unattended. They would come back to find it flattened. The look on their face was always the best part.

The rules extended to anything sandwich-like. So if you had something between two pancakes accidentally, that was a sandwich and would be smashed if unattended. After enough time passed people got smarter. People would disassemble their sandwich before leaving it alone, or they would just carry them around with them until finished.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Read, a lot. e-Readers became a thing halfway through my IA in '07...really, really wish I'd had one of those on my previous three deployments. Took my Kindle on this last cruise and read all the way through the Master & Commander series and all the Game of Thrones books.

Also the first time in my life I've worked out because I could literally not think of anything else to do. Dropped about 30 lbs, even with Sat night pizza and wings...

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Sleep, eat, fly, workout, duty, collateral duties...recreation??? LIBERTY CALL!

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Also, beware fleshlights unless they now sell a silencer, they are noisy, or so I have heard...no seriously, my roomie had one and it would wake you up!

brownshoe

Contributor
You kids and your Gameboys. I played my Tetris by copying it from the 5 1/4" disk onto the Zenith computer. Oh, we also had Leisure Suit Larry.
Harumph a Zenith? I had a kickass AT with a math copro and two 20 meg hard drives! ;) And LSL was one of first all time favorite games. I got hooked on most of the Sierra games.

Leisure_Suit_Larry_1_by_jabbamonkey.jpg

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Leisure? Surely you jest.

You're actually right. The blue couch qual isn't something to laugh at. It takes dedication and a team effort to ensure all blue couches in the wardroom are accounted for. Also, in heavy seas, someone has to weigh them down so they don't move as freely across the deck. A rack isn't going anywhere, but a blue couch requires constant oversight.

War is hell.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
I almost forgot the best part. We got to watch Major League about 50 times. Then every day at 1600 on WSAR (USS Saratoga radio) we got Leaky Fawcett and the Car Radio Show. Four hours of classic rock played by AFCM Fawcett, who was actually a pretty good DJ. He always opened the show with Bob Seagar's Old Time Rock and Roll. To this day I can't hear that song without flashing back to CV-60 steaming around the Red Sea or through the Suez Canal for the 6th time.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably the biggest off duty diversion on cruise underway was MUSIC! Mainly LP records copied to large audio reels. The first big buy at the initial port call at Yokosuka at the NX (A-33), was a huge AKAI or TEAC reel-to-reel tape deck, a Garrard turntable w/ stereo diamond needle, stereo headphones, loads of boxes of blank tape, and numerous contemporary LP stereo music albums.:D

Everyone would get all their albums copied to large reels... then as the cruise progressed, we would swap tapes & copy tape-to-tape, until everyone had a great recorded tape collection at cruise end. It took a large bulk of the 'off' time' on my deployments.:)...

C'est la guerre!:rolleyes:
I can't remember what it was called, but some MWR activity in Cubi was a place with banks of reel to reel taper recorders and albums just so you could copy music to take back out on cruise. First time I saw the place I thought it looked like a major recording studio. By time I got there in the early 80's everyone had cassette tape players/recorders and the first Walkmans were getting around. Only folks with reel to reels then were true audiophiles, and the condition of the LP albums in Cubi were not good enough for those types to bother with. I bet there was still a Ray Coniff album there BzB recorded for one of his Westpacs.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the world's largest airline we still use dot matrix printers for all our operations paperwork.