• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does the Quik Kill Club still exist?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I was wondering about this since I recently found my QKC patch (pictured below) and letter.

I received this in 1990 while attached to HSL-45 Wolfpack flying SH-60B's (NASNI) after doing a torp drop on the range within certain time and accuracy parameters. I was sort of an ASW rock so I was pretty happy (lucky) to get one of these. I would think that HS (SH-3's), VS (S-3's), VP (P-3's) and HSL (H-2's) could get the QKC qual as well since they also dropped on the range. Anyway, I was wondering if the QKC still existed...and if it was just an HSL 60's thing...and if it was just a West Coast thing.

Collin

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I was west coast P-3s and you could get it as of a couple years ago. I knew a couple guys who had it but I don't think it's as well known now.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Its specific to the SCORE range on the west coast. I remember thinking it was a cool concept at the time. Then you do real ASW and laugh at those range guys and how absurdly artificial that setup is.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
95 in HSL, '00 in the P-3
TN_BearTrap%20patch.JPG

FlyingDutch

Transition time...
I got my Qwik Kill at the Score range in San Diego in 2012, and the bear trap during an actual PACOM ASW prosecution in 2010. Both were on my JO tour with VP-1. They're both still sought-after accomplishments, though I have to agree that the Quik Kill setup is pretty... contrived. :) Though it does require skills fairly analogous to those we actually need.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't seen one in years. 10 minutes right? The gouge is check in and say your shit is broken and you need range called MAD hits.

Depending on who is working the range that day they will give you position/course/speed of the sled if you ask on check in. You ain't cheatin you ain't tryin!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Its specific to the SCORE range on the west coast. I remember thinking it was a cool concept at the time. Then you do real ASW and laugh at those range guys and how absurdly artificial that setup is.
or go against a Swede Gotland or Aussie Collins or Japanese Oyashio and get the shit kicked out of you and you figure out what 3rd Flt and 7th Flt already knows.....