• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim test

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My problem is, is that I am a pretty bad swimmer, but I was told recently that I am pro rec'd for pilot and nfo . I would hate to quit now because I have been harrasing so many people to go to OCS (especially my recruiter) and I don't like to give up on anything I start (I know I would regret it later). I managed to get a hold of a flight suit today (borrowed it from someone at work) and swam sidestroke the entire time. It took me 69 minutes to swim a mile.

Dude, RELAX! You will get to practice swimming at OCS (at least we did in pensacola. Not sure about RI), and you will have a LOT of time to practice in API, so if you can do it in 69 now, then you'll be fine.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The guys in P-cola that teach swimming can literally start with a guy who has never swam before in his life and get them to pass. They're extremely good at what they do. I've seen them help a full grown man doggie-paddle.

Relax. You'll do fine. This isn't the Olympics.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And for what it's worth, I think it took me 68 minutes (maybe it was 58, but whatever). After about minute 25, my already weak left knee was pretty much done. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine.

bb1125

None
Seriously, I sucked at swimming in API. I mean, I knew how to swim and thought I was good, but when I got there, I found out that I actually sucked really bad. I struggled throughout the swim training, but it all came together in the end. The mile actually ended up being the easiest part of swim training for me. After about 20-25 minutes, I finally figured out the breaststroke and just started cruising. I ended up finishing somewhere around 60-65 minutes and I felt like I could have kept going. Relax, most people here will tell you that swimming is the easiest part of flight school.

Jeremiahjl85

Pro Rec NFO
Can any of the recent graduates update if any of these requirements have changed? Specifically what strokes are allowed for the mile swim? Thanks for your input.

Mos

None
I was stashed at the pool for a while and if I recall correctly they would open the pool up for a few hours once a week to anyone that asked to get some pool time or even some 'tutoring', even to pre-API folks. I also remember that it wasn't really the mile that folks had a hard time with, but rather the tread and float. That was some years ago though. If you're not a good swimmer or are worried about the tread and float, I'd recommend stopping by the pool or asking someone you may know that is stashed there if the instructors can provide any time to help you. While swim failures may not be as damning as academic failures, it nonetheless would be one less thing you'd have to worry about.

WEGL12

VT-28
I was stashed at the pool for a while and if I recall correctly they would open the pool up for a few hours once a week to anyone that asked to get some pool time or even some 'tutoring', even to pre-API folks. I also remember that it wasn't really the mile that folks had a hard time with, but rather the tread and float. That was some years ago though. If you're not a good swimmer or are worried about the tread and float, I'd recommend stopping by the pool or asking someone you may know that is stashed there if the instructors can provide any time to help you. While swim failures may not be as damning as academic failures, it nonetheless would be one less thing you'd have to worry about.

Not sure if they offer after hour help unless you were pointed out to be a weak swimmer. But MWR does have swimming hours during the week in the same pools. Just can't use the gear or platform during that time.

To those worried about the mile swim, it's the easiest part of the swimming. I personally thought the 15 meter underwater swim was the hardest part. The tread and float sucks towards the end when you have to do it with all the gear. I was worried about the swim going in and it turned out to be the hardest part of API for me. If I can get through it, I am pretty sure the majority can survive it.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Stupid question but it has always itched me. For the mile swim, will we be wearing life vests?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
And Dangy, in case you're wondering...the shirt and trunks go UNDER the flight suit.

Then what will I do with my tooth brush?

I was a bit confused because I've kept reading that the swims were in full gear, but wasn't sure if that including vests or not.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
I was a bit confused because I've kept reading that the swims were in full gear, but wasn't sure if that including vests or not.
Different events will have different gear.

Like Gatordev posted, the mile swim only requires flightsuit and your navy pt/swim shorts. You may also wear goggles for this evolution.

WEGL12

VT-28
Then what will I do with my tooth brush?

You work up to swimming with full gear. The full gear includes helmet, vest, gloves, and boots. In the last week you do another tread that includes the harness and g-suit.