• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATP Multi Engine Changes - Do it now!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
don't forget to use the "0.3" factor when adding up your flight time. Part 61 allows you to count the time from engine start to taxi back to the ramp and shutdown at the end of your flight. Pays big dividends.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Got the written test done this weekend. I used Sheppard Air and got a 98%. Not too bad for a few days of cramming. I'm glad I did it in time, but studying for it was a bit of a pain.

On a related topic, does anyone have experience with getting their CFII via the MCI test? The catch is that I'm not an IP per-se (I'm in a VX squadron--never been a VT or FRS instructor). I do have a letter in my NATOPS jacket that says I'm an instrument checker/evaluator/whatever. My reading of the FAA's rules leads me to believe that I should be able to get CFII but not CFI or MEI.
Best bet is to call your local FSDO or examiner and ask. I don't know the answer to that and I doubt many do. You should get some credit for that, I would think.

highside7r

None
I know we have more helo bubbas here than Baseops, any rumor to the airlines not counting helo time towards your totals? I made the jump to fixed wing (a process in the Army) to set myself up, about to take the ATP written out here on deployment and should be able to get my unit to pay for the checkride on my next re-current visit, but I'm counting my helo PIC time towards my totals to make mins.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Depends on the airline. At best, it counts for a little. At worst, it is a cool story. None of the majors count it towards their minimums that I know of. You will still need 1,500 TT fixed wing and whatever else they want to apply.

samguitar

Flying a desk.
pilot
Just took the ATP multi written at Peter Prince Airport in Milton. Don't rely on the free testing centers at military bases. I made an appointment for the ATC-Mobile site months in advance only to have it postponed twice until I was up against a hard deadline this month, and I couldn't get time off during the day. On my last available day before having to deploy, I called around the area (BFM, PNS) at 1700 asking if anyone could stay late to proctor the exam. Paxton, the chief pilot at Peter Prince, called me back and came in from about 2000-2230 to proctor it for me. Solid guy; really did me a favor. As for the Sheppard Air gouge, I felt like it was good, but I was surprised that the test had many more chart-reading and flight planning problems than the practice test. I studied most of the 3 day weekend and then some more. Let's just say I passed, but I'm getting my money back from that 90% guarantee. I took a practice test on the Sheppard software the night before and scored 15% higher on that than I did on the real test. And I had 10 validation questions, not 2. I was sure I failed, but I scraped by.

81montedriver

pilot
Just took the ATP written at Craven Regional (KEWN). I used the Sheppard Air prep software as well and it's definately legit. Altogether I've been studying about 3 weeks since I usually suck at taking tests.

I have kids and it was definately a bit of a challenge finding study time while trying to give my wife and kids enough attention during pre deployment leave. If you follow Sheppards recommended way to study it will take a bit of time but totally worth it for the actual test. I took a practice test the morning before I took my test and got a 96. Took the test 3 hours later and got a 99. Not sure if the score matters or not as long as you pass. I had 10 additional questions as well but was told the extra questions don't count.

As for the chart reading, I had a fair amount of that as well anyone who has been flying for a few years has had their times when they have had to reference charts in their respective performance manual and it's really not a big deal.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the Sheppard prep software and if a dumbass like me can score well enough, then the system really works!

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I wish there was a Sheppard stock IPO for the last few months I could have invested in with this many guys buying the study gouge.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
don't forget to use the "0.3" factor when adding up your flight time. Part 61 allows you to count the time from engine start to taxi back to the ramp and shutdown at the end of your flight. Pays big dividends.

Also allows for you to log the time if you "intend" to go flying. All that time sitting at the hold short waiting for the weather to clear only to have to taxi back is technically allowed.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Don't know if this was brought up but the changes do not affect helicopter ATP, only airplane. No deadline if you only want the helicopter ATP.

dustydog

pilot
I took my ATP written yesterday using the Shepard Air study material. I studied using their method and passed with a grade within the advertised performance standards. I actually worked through all of the performance graphs to derive the answer vice rote memorization of the answer during the actual test. I found this worked better for my beer addled, over 40 brain. My test seemed to be heavy on performance data and weather questions, your mileage may vary.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
It is company dependent. The FARs count flight time as any time the aircraft is under movement with the intent to fly. The military counts flight time as takeoff power applied to touchdown. A common practice to make up for that discrepancy is to add .3 of taxi time to each sortie. Some use .2. Some don't allow any conversion at all. In the end it is your logbook and as long as you can reasonably explain it, you won't get many questions.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As @e6bflyer said above, as long as you can defend your numbers you are good. Each company does have their different requirements. I got so frustrated with all the apps, that I just converted my entire log book to an excel file and that way I could manipulate the weird numbers that some of them wanted. I never submitted any conversions without the company specifying it. Note, that some just add .2 or .3 per SORTIE, others allow a flat .2 or .3 FACTOR on your flight times. It is just how they may value your military flight time. Irrespective of the conversions, the biggest pain in the ass, is the fact that the Navy log books with FPT/CPT, etc, do NOT match the PIC and SIC definitions in the FARs when flying multi-crewed aircraft. It was a headache to convert my logbook (and find errors) into an excel spreadsheet, but once I got all the numbers in there and conservatively corrected, it was a snap to do other conversions. Additionally, when I provided my logbooks for review, I included a summary page, and a nicely bound electronic copy of my conversions on top of my military log book. The interviewers didn't ask me any questions, and appreciated the thoroughness and completeness of my logbooks. Bottom line take away, whatever you do, attention to detail, don't make mistakes, and be able to explain anything. Better to be conservative then get caught inflating hours. Etc...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
yeah.... If HAL was still around, he could give you the straight skinny on the conversion factor and which companies honor it and which ones don't.

AFUAW

pilot
Sorry for the resurrection. Any gouge on where to do get an ATP near Norfolk? I did my written last year before the sky fell. I'm looking for a military-friendly place.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Sorry for the resurrection. Any gouge on where to do get an ATP near Norfolk? I did my written last year before the sky fell. I'm looking for a military-friendly place.
Hampton Roads Exec Airport. A group of us are going over next week to take the CFI/CFII test. I might try to take the ATP test around the same time. I have the gouge from Sheppard Air but haven't started studying yet.