• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola for IFS/API

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Since this subject came up, does anyone know places to avoid living in the Pensacola/Milton/Pace area? My wife and I are looking to rent a house between the two NAS so we don't have to move until after primary (assuming I get primary at Whiting). Never spent much time in these areas and want to avoid any bad sections down there.

Where did you end up living? My wife and I have been looking at rental homes in the Pace area for the same convenience to both bases as you mentioned.

Last edited:

WEGL12

VT-28
Where did you end up living? My wife and I have been looking at rental homes in the Pace area for the same convenience to both bases as you mentioned.

We lived right out the back gate. When I first got to Pensacola there wasn't much available in Pace or Milton. Ended up not mattering because I got orders to Corpus. I do know some people that live in apartments around UWF and are the same distance from both bases. I strongly considered living in Gulf Breeze and just have to accept the 40 minute drive to Whiting.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
We lived right out the back gate. When I first got to Pensacola there wasn't much available in Pace or Milton. Ended up not mattering because I got orders to Corpus. I do know some people that live in apartments around UWF and are the same distance from both bases. I strongly considered living in Gulf Breeze and just have to accept the 40 minute drive to Whiting.
Ya but if anything happens on the bridge good luck getting to Whiting on time.

WEGL12

VT-28
@WEGL12 Did you request orders to Corpus? I was under the impression all married dudes have primary in Whiting.

I got married right after checking in to Pensacola. I never had follow on orders so I was eligible to go to Corpus. If you are married before getting down here I believe you will have follow on orders to Whiting. That's the case for all the guys I know in that situation.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
tried posting this elsewhere but maybe this is a better thread

I am coming up on the end of my service agreement for fios and have to resign in a few days if I resign of course it's much cheaper. I looked at some older forums and fios wasn't in pcola yet, anything changed? If it's there (pcola) I'll sign then move my services but if not plan is to cancel, thoughts from the experienced folks? Other alternative was just to hotspot my galaxy since I'll be jumping around and activate the 3G on the ipad.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
No fios out the back gate. Cox or AT&T only.

Personally, I just have an internet plan with Cox. That gets me Netflix and other online stuff. For TV I own a digital antenna, I get about 21 channels, so that satisfies the need for local news. You should not be spending much time in front a tv down here. Get out and enjoy what the area has to offer.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
No fios out the back gate. Cox or AT&T only.

Personally, I just have an internet plan with Cox. That gets me Netflix and other online stuff. For TV I own a digital antenna, I get about 21 channels, so that satisfies the need for local news. You should not be spending much time in front a tv down here. Get out and enjoy what the area has to offer.
not really for the TV more for the not crappy internet, which is what makes fios awesome. Thanks for the info. Ill dump fios and just be mobile for the next few months. Had rabbit ears for a while and wasn't bad at all. If it works for one person I'm sure it will work for all of us going though flight school. Thanks again and best of luck to you.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Gotcha. So far the Cox service has been pretty good, other than the tech not hooking it up right the first time, but shit happens. No big deal.

Thank you. Best of luck to you as well.

WEGL12

VT-28
Can you log instructed IFS hours toward PPL?

Yes, the 11.5/13.5 hours are logged and count towards a PPL. I know the airport I went to would give discounted rates if you wanted to come back on your own time and work towards a PPL. I've heard it isn't worth the extra money because once you get winged you can take a FAA proficiency test and get a instrument rating. That may be for SNA only, haven't looked into it yet because it's 14-20+ months away for me.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yes, the 11.5/13.5 hours are logged and count towards a PPL. I know the airport I went to would give discounted rates if you wanted to come back on your own time and work towards a PPL. I've heard it isn't worth the extra money because once you get winged you can take a FAA proficiency test and get a instrument rating. That may be for SNA only, haven't looked into it yet because it's 14-20+ months away for me.

You get more than just an instrument ticket. You get a commerical rating as well as a complex endorsement, and if you fly something with more than one engine you will get your multi rating as well (centerline thrust restricted for VFA types). All for 35 bucks for the Sheppard Air test prep, $150 for the actual test, and the time it takes you to go to your local FSDO with your logbook and NATOPS jacket.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
You get more than just an instrument ticket. You get a commerical rating as well as a complex endorsement, and if you fly something with more than one engine you will get your multi rating as well (centerline thrust restricted for VFA types). All for 35 bucks for the Sheppard Air test prep, $150 for the actual test, and the time it takes you to go to your local FSDO with your logbook and NATOPS jacket.
this is gold...heard it under the radar from an air force friend and wasnt sure how legit it was

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
It's 100% legit. Which is why military competency exams exist.
THanks. I asked it when I first started this process and got a little bit of a I'm not sure work around so this is good to hear. Step by step though, OCS physical -> Commission -> then I'll start thinking about this stuff again