• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I looked up the "Blue Label" prices for Sig stuff online (from Sig) and while the prices were decent, I found that being patient on Gunbroker from a dealer got me a 90% solution "now" rather than 19 months. I'm glad you posted your earlier frustrations, otherwise I probably wouldn't have my sexy MK25 sitting in my safe.

Now to figure out if I should leave it stock or go with a SRT...
I almost cancelled the order and did that. Some place in Jax had a "buy it now" for a similar price point to the SIG military deal. I was a glass and a half of bourbon in when I found that, though, which is past my "buying things online" cutoff. And the next morning I figured "just a couple more weeks." Having handled it, it's a beautiful pistol. I think SIG is probably just scrambling to keep up with the demand. Why they let it go out the door with Ergo grips vice rosewood has me scratching my head. I even looked up the part number to make sure they sent me the right weapon. Oh, well. Maybe I should just get a moly finish put on the trigger, hammer, and barrel bushing and have an all-black 1911.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A glass and a half is your cut off? My god, man, how do you expect to fund our economy?

I know this doesn't solve anyone's problems, just me talking out loud... Based on what I've seen with the gun industry lately, I bet your incorrect grips have less to do with "meeting demand" and more to do with poor management/QA. I equate this to the issues encountered during The Great AW Omega Watch Buy. It seems like there is such a glut of product out there right now, post-Sandy Hook, that Sig should have paid you to accept your gun.

That said, Sig still continues to impress me with its accuracy. My Glock is great and I continue to run it regularly, but my Sigs seem to stack the holes on top of one another better.

exNavyOffRec

I think SIG is probably just scrambling to keep up with the demand.

I don't know how accurate this is, but a gun dealer told me that the manufacturers give preference to their biggest customers, this was many months ago and just from my window shopping I wonder if this isn't the case as the big stores would have just about everything while the "mom and pop" stores would say "back-ordered"

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So after all that logistical pain . . . I finally have my hands on John Moses Browning's masterpiece, as interpreted by Sig Sauer. And 250 rounds of ammo, since few things are more useless than a gun with no ammo. I swapped the Ergo skateboard grips Sig mistakenly shipped with their blackwood grips. Those come standard with the stainless steel pimp version, while the Nitron is supposed to come with rosewood grips. I like this look better anyway. It turns out Hogue makes their wood 1911 grips for them. At any rate, the pistol is currently in pieces on my coffee table, as I'm compulsive about cleaning and greasing/oiling my weapons as soon as I get my paws on them. I'm formerly an exclusive Glock/SIG guy, so field stripping it required Google and a couple iterations of "hmm, that's odd."

I hope it shoots as good as it feels (TWSS). I have two initial reactions. The first is that it just feels, for lack of a better word, RIGHT. The grip is the right size, and the checkering gives a confident grip without ripping into my hand. Now I see why people obsess over the grip angle; it just points naturally. And the trigger has just a couple millimeters of travel and then breaks like glass. Now I see why the 1911 has a cult. It's a piece of art. Which leads into my second reaction: we as a military dumped THIS for a piece of shit Beretta 92? YHGTBFSM.

The one tweak I'm thinking about is shipping it to a gunsmith in Arizona who does a really nice semi-gloss moly finish; he put it on a civilian AK-74 I bought from him, and it's beautiful. Think it would look better than the random bits of stainless peeking out here and there that don't really show in the picture. Still deciding. I'm also not really a fan of the 8-round mag sticking out the bottom like that; I may look for some 7-rounders.

1911_1.jpg

A7Dave

pilot
I'm assuming that is the short(er) barrel compared to the full size, traditional 1911 barrel? I think that is perfect. Great choice.

A7Dave

pilot
I looked up the "Blue Label" prices for Sig stuff online (from Sig) and while the prices were decent, I found that being patient on Gunbroker from a dealer got me a 90% solution "now" rather than 19 months. I'm glad you posted your earlier frustrations, otherwise I probably wouldn't have my sexy MK25 sitting in my safe.

S-R-T

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Picked up the guns I ordered while in Afghanistan...a Sig 556xi, C39 Sporter AK, a Sig 229R, a CPO Sig 229 in 40, a Gen 3 Glock 19 with factory TB and finally, SS Walther PPX for my brother.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm assuming that is the short(er) barrel compared to the full size, traditional 1911 barrel? I think that is perfect. Great choice.
Yep. It's a Nitron Carry, which is SIG's Commander-sized offering. Full size grip, 4.25 inch match barrel.

A7Dave

pilot

SRT. The only choice. Shoot a good CQB/combat course and you'll feel the beauty. It will allow you to grease off the second or third shot the instant the front sight drops back down into the target.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have one in my 229 already and I'm a big fan. It's just a matter of figuring out if I want to keep it as a service pistol or modify it. After shooting my 229 this last weekend, I think I'm leaning back towards putting the SRT in it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Picked up the guns I ordered while in Afghanistan...a Sig 556xi, C39 Sporter AK, a Sig 229R, a CPO Sig 229 in 40, a Gen 3 Glock 19 with factory TB and finally, SS Walther PPX for my brother.

Holy cow bunk! You pop up on some sort of AFT watch list yet? You have right wing PTSD homicidal vet written all over you.

JackyB

Your right wink. I would question any NFO with this many great guns. Oh whoops Bunk is a single anchor guy.... In that case.....NoFriggin Problem!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How long did it take for your Stamp to go through?

That one was 8 1/2 months (Jan 14-Aug 14) for a paper Form 4. Supposedly they're speeding up a little bit, but 6-9 months still seems to be the best guess. That's not bad compared to a year ago.

FYI, eFile Form 1s are taking a month or less. Pretty amazing.