• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EP-3 transistion to drones/P3/P8?

John Gil

I'm finishing up primary and had a couple questions about the EP3 transition . Yes, I have asked around the squadron but we don't have many EP3 guys. I read a navy times article that said the P8 was taking over e EP3 mission as well as the stand up of VUP in October and was wondering what the real deal was if I select EP3. Am I going to end up on the P8 eventually or as a drone mission commander? I'm a prior surface guy so forgive me for not knowing much. I would rather select something I can deploy with rather than sit in a booth in JAX operating a drone. Any info is greatly appreciated.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Not sure of the latest info on that but as of now there is no EP-3 replacement. I'm not sure how much longer is left in the community but it is definitely dwindling, especially after the last two squadrons merged a couple years ago. Personally, I'd go VP and go P-8. It's new and you'll be on the leading edge of it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The sundown of EP-3's is still 2019 the last time I checked and the last time I talked to some VQ types they said expect to do whatever the VP NFO's after your first tour since they are all one big happy family now. Follow-on tours would include P-8's, P-3's or UAV's as a DH tour after your shore and disassociated tours.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The EP-3 types are now in the VP group for screening, etc, and if you did an EP-3 JO tour you would transition if you got selected for DH. Since you're in primary now P-3 wouldn't be on the table by the time that happened for you, but the way they envision it now is that when you get selected for DH, you'll get slated either for P-8 or Triton, regardless of P-3/P-8/EP-3 background. So, yes, you'll transition eventually to either one of those. In my squadron we had two DHs who were prior EP-3 guys.

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
Actually, right now the horizon for EP-3 is roughly 2022. It is all based on some Congress-level requirement for some platform to do the mission. They're investigating the P-8's viability for it, flying some operators on P-8 flights to evaluate, and planning for UAV to soak up part of the mission, too. You can go EP-3, probably have a full JO tour, be plenty competitive for the same slots as VP folks for shore tour, and not worry about getting locked in to one pipeline (P-8) or the other (UAV) until DH tour.

Then again, tomorrow's Thursday, so that could all change again. Also, there's supposed to be a VUP standing up in Whidbey someday, so you could always get stuck in a booth up here, too.