• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm referring to GenAv's, aviators, Intel-O's, SEAL's, non surface LDO's, and probably a few others I'm not thinking of right now. By instruction, they were not authorized to qualify SWO, yet CO's were still allowing it.

Steve, are you referring to AFTER they officially stopped allowing it? My understanding was that prior to the change, all of the above (and specifically aviators, from what I saw) were allowed and it wasn't considered a backdoor good deal (though still a good deal). I'm talking shortly before you and were commissioned.

At the time, it wasn't as simple as just handing out a pin, they still went through the OOD process and SWO PQS. It was later turned off (from what I was told) because it allowed one particular community of Line Officer (13x0) the opportunity to earn two pins while others (specifically 11x0) couldn't, which could hurt when going to a statutory board. I know helo guys would do it on the small boys, as well.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve, are you referring to AFTER they officially stopped allowing it? My understanding was that prior to the change, all of the above (and specifically aviators, from what I saw) were allowed and it wasn't considered a backdoor good deal (though still a good deal). I'm talking shortly before you and were commissioned.

At the time, it wasn't as simple as just handing out a pin, they still went through the OOD process and SWO PQS. It was later turned off (from what I was told) because it allowed one particular community of Line Officer (13x0) the opportunity to earn two pins while others (specifically 11x0) couldn't, which could hurt when going to a statutory board. I know helo guys would do it on the small boys, as well.

They stopped the SWO pins for aviators and others about 15-18 years ago IIRC, I knew a few DH and CO types who got them on their disassociated tours though they were a distinct minority since it was a pain in the ass to do in addition to all the 'regular' stuff the guys did like Gator says. The few I knew were all ANAVs.

LET73

Question for the SWO guys and gals...

I was recently PROREC'd for Intel (1830). Don't want to get too far ahead, but I was wondering: Would it be possible, down the road, for me to earn a SWO warfare pin as an 1830? I've heard some officers say it's possible, but I also found a qualification revision that says the Intel designator is ineligible:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...nts/SWOQUALandDESIGNATION14121Cdtd11Apr11.pdf

Any word on this from current SWOs in-the-know? I figure the documentation I found is the law of the land, but not sure if it's changed or still current.
No, it's not possible now. Cryppies (the 1810s) used to be able to get a SWO pin, but intel officers aren't weren't and aren't. There was some talk about changing that if the 1830 community were to become unrestricted line officers, but that hasn't happened. I can't speak to the SWO instructions, but intel instructions have always been that 1630s (now 1830s) can't get SWO pins.

navy2014

Just read this full thread, finally... lots of good information, of course, so thanks for that.

Question though--a lot of the stuff I'm reading about quals and the duties of a SWO and which ships to pick is a little over my head. That's ok, right? This is all stuff I'll learn in due time, and should just focus on OCS for now, right?

binoly

My biggest question pending is what additional paperwork is required after you get Pr0-Rec'd, so I can start that as soon as possible. I am fully confident in my package, and my COC is on board with me leaving as soon as possible once results come out. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
In my 2 years on HST, I've seen 1 shooter attempt and get OOD U/W. Takes about 8 months for us, could be less for others.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How long is the PQS for OOD underway? How many Shooters take time to get it?
During my tour on the LINCOLN, I never saw a single shooter attempt to qualify OOD (U/W). And that included a 10 month deployment. Truthfully, I don't know why you would want to go through all the pain and hassle. Without being in an actual watch rotation, day in and day out, I have a hard time seeing how you can get this qual in addition to doing your day job. It's not like you can schedule flight ops around your watch rotation, or vice versa.

azguy

None
In the same vein, has anyone seen an HSL pilot get OOD on cruise?

We had a very competent, Maritime Academy grad that was interested in getting it on the DDG but the CO was, admittedly, kind of a clown and dissuaded him from attempting it.

Pags

N/A
pilot

We had a very competent, Maritime Academy grad that was interested in getting it on the DDG but the CO was, admittedly, kind of a clown and dissuaded him from attempting it.
A buddy of mine did it.

There's really nothing hard or complex about the OOD qual; if you made HAC, PPC, Section Lead, etc you'll be underwhelmed (and pro ably frustrated) by the process. If you took a navigation course as a mid you already know a good chunk if the basics. The only tough part is the time commitment and I've seen COs be understanding of the need for aviators to get the qual. My boat CO/XO recognized the maturity that senior LTs brought to the bridge and enabled us to get the qual quickly (60 days). All of us went on to use the qual numerous times on short notice; turns out if you can manage the relative motion of aircraft you can handle the boat.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Yes. Happens fairly regularly. On my second deployment, both the OIC and OpsO got OOD. I had a genuine interest in getting mine, more for the sake of personal satisfaction than career enhancement, but my OIC waved me off because he knew I was pretty busy back aft. I toyed with the idea when I was an OIC, but quickly gave it up when I roomed with the CHENG and couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time...that and apparently when you tell an OS2 to not interrupt crew rest, that means to him to come back in 15 minutes....every....single...day.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Just read this full thread, finally... lots of good information, of course, so thanks for that.

Question though--a lot of the stuff I'm reading about quals and the duties of a SWO and which ships to pick is a little over my head. That's ok, right? This is all stuff I'll learn in due time, and should just focus on OCS for now, right?

I second your question. I think SWOs are assigned duty stations out of OCS and that our selection can be based on the location or platform. I guess I'm curious to see what platforms current/former SWOs think are good assignments for new SWOs.

azguy

None
Pick a CRUDES shooter in the homeport of your choice. They are the most advanced, heavily armed ships we have. Period.

For your first tour, you pick the actual ship itself (later you just select platform/homeport/job). Reasonable people can disagree about the merits of picking a CG vs DDG, BMD vs non-BMD, Flight I vs IIa, etc. Generally newer is better.