• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

Chill314

you have many options, is your goal to be a USN officer or do a specific job?

Ideally I would like to do Intel or become an Aviator. I would be 100% happy with either position. I know they are fairly different in terms of job skills/duties, but each draws on various aspects of my personality.

Amory

How important is raw GPA? I have a 3.1 but it's in Mechanical Engineering at a top 20 university. ASTB was 76/9/9/9.

I'm NROTC, in case that matters. Wanting to branch aviation.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How important is raw GPA? I have a 3.1 but it's in Mechanical Engineering at a top 20 university. ASTB was 76/9/9/9.

I'm NROTC, in case that matters. Wanting to branch aviation.
GPA is important, but in your case the 3.1 is well above minimum (in a tough major), and your ASTB/OAR scores are outstanding. Just round out your package with quality LORs, along with other accomplishments/leadership experience, and you'll be sitting pretty!:)
BzB

Leetwo

pilot
Took the ASTB last week: OAR 64, AQR 8, PFAR 6, FOFAR 8.

Writing my essay for the application now.

Your package is lookin' great... so far. Now the big thing you can do to make it super-strong is to ring the bell on your ASTB (>'trip 7s/>50). Then add 3-5 quality LORs, and you'll be fine.

If you go for your instrument ticket or log extra flight time to gain an 'edge' on your flight school peers... don't waste your $$$. Previous flight experience won't ever hurt you, but even 1 good LOR is a bigger plus than GA flight time. ;)

No hammering, ridiculing, or vilifying... your request is as legit as your numbers.:cool:

Make sure all this data is entered into the INFO section of your personal profile, then keep it updated. It will aid other AW members in answering your questions.

Good luck!:)
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Took the ASTB last week: OAR 64, AQR 8, PFAR 6, FOFAR 8.

Writing my essay for the application now.
Excellent, you nailed it. Now try to get your package completed and submitted in time for the next board.;)

Your previous post mentioned you are applying for Pilot, but there is no mention of what you're applying for in your Profile Info, plus second/third choices in case non-select/PDQ for Pilot. If you will accept only Pilot, then leave 2nd & 3rd choices blank on your application.:)
BzB

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Ideally I would like to do Intel or become an Aviator. I would be 100% happy with either position. I know they are fairly different in terms of job skills/duties, but each draws on various aspects of my personality.

Your chances for getting selected for Pilot/NFO are substantially higher than Intel programs.

VoodooNova

None
My recruiter has told me my package is competitive, however I'd like a second opinion (As I've said elsewhere, he's a fantastic, honest and encouraging recruiter). It's already been submitted for April, so this is just seeing what other people/recruiters think about my competitiveness for SNFO, SWO and Intel. My goal is SNFO, SWO is second and Intel is 3rd.

• 22/Male/Non-Prior
  • B.A. in International Economics & Spanish (3.0 gpa) from Appalachian State
  • Languages: Conversational Spanish & Intermediate Russian
  • Leadership Positions: Treasurer of HSA, Mentor for the Language & Culture RLC, Vice President of Russian Club, Roundtable Liaison for Multicultural Center
  • Community Service: 4-year Camp Counselor for BRASS Camp (It's not a band camp, but for child siblings of pediatric cancer patients)
  • Work: Intern for NCDP, Project Assistant for ASU Multicultural Student Development, Economics Tutor for ASU University Tutoring Services
  • ASTB 55/5/4/5
  • LOR (3): Retired civilian engineer for the Navy (known my entire life), 1 current employer (2+ years), 1 family friend (Known for 10 years)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My recruiter has told me my package is competitive, however I'd like a second opinion (As I've said elsewhere, he's a fantastic, honest and encouraging recruiter). It's already been submitted for April, so this is just seeing what other people/recruiters think about my competitiveness for SNFO, SWO and Intel. My goal is SNFO, SWO is second and Intel is 3rd.

• 22/Male/Non-Prior
  • B.A. in International Economics & Spanish (3.0 gpa) from Appalachian State
  • Languages: Conversational Spanish & Intermediate Russian
  • Leadership Positions: Treasurer of HSA, Mentor for the Language & Culture RLC, Vice President of Russian Club, Roundtable Liaison for Multicultural Center
  • Community Service: 4-year Camp Counselor for BRASS Camp (It's not a band camp, but for child siblings of pediatric cancer patients)
  • Work: Intern for NCDP, Project Assistant for ASU Multicultural Student Development, Economics Tutor for ASU University Tutoring Services
  • ASTB 55/5/4/5
  • LOR (3): Retired civilian engineer for the Navy (known my entire life), 1 current employer (2+ years), 1 family friend (Known for 10 years)

If you look at the OP you can see what's considered competitive for the boards. GPA, ASTB scores, other factors, you name it it's on there.

VoodooNova

None
If you look at the OP you can see what's considered competitive for the boards. GPA, ASTB scores, other factors, you name it it's on there.

While reading the OP, I didn't know if things have changed much since Sept. 2013. Thanks for your reply, Rufio.

User1993

I had stash Ensigns spend time at my NRD that were SNA who were from NROTC that graduated (YG 10 and 11) with GPA's pretty close to 2.5 but they were NROTC and NROTC SNA selection competitiveness =/= OCS SNA selection competitiveness

So what you're saying is it's fair to say that you're more likely to get an SNA contract in NROTC?

exNavyOffRec

So what you're saying is it's fair to say that you're more likely to get an SNA contract in NROTC?

not necessarily, that was just a snapshot, and you have to remember it is not easy to get a NROTC scholarship, once those guys get a scholarship as long as they stay out of trouble both legal and academic they should be getting commissioned, but not necessarily in the designator they want.