• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

TheBirdy

pilot
I'm absolutely over the moon about it. I definitely plan on posting more detail about what I studied/my impressions from the test, but I'm too giddy to do so just yet.
Please do :) Can I borrow your brain? On a serious note, congrats. I really can't see you not getting picked up with a score of that magnitude. Your OR must be ecstatic as well.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Just got back with a score of 80 9/9/9.

omg-youre-so-smart.jpg

CBaum

Hello everyone,
Just finished testing today. There were a couple problems I encountered that I had not seen before. One was in the math section and said, "A farm has horses and ponies. 5/6 th's of the ponies have horseshoes. Half of the ponies with horseshoes are brown. What is the minimum number of ponies?" Answer choices were 12, 14, 19, 21. Also a mechanical question that said, "A car that is traveling 50 km/hr locks its brakes and comes to a stop 3 seconds later skidding 15m. How long will the car skid for if it is traveling 150 km/hr when it locks its brakes?" Time ran out before I was able to answer the mechanical question, but all of the answers were over 100m.
I bought a lot of books to study including the Barron's military flight aptitude tests, the ASTB-E study guide, and both Peterson's books. At the beginning I was having difficulty with the reading comprehension. I bought a book called the LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible and would highly recommend it to anyone struggling in this area. It definitely helps you hone in on key words in the passage as well as answers. I felt Barron's was the most useful and ASTB-E was the least useful. The Arco books and FAA websites were definitely useful as well as any other gouge you can find on here. I studied for one month and have a chemistry background. I scored a 68 9/9/8. Thanks everyone who posted information!

dmamula

Nice score man !

Found the answer for your speed question:

When a car skids to a stop, the work done by friction upon the car is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the car. Work is directly proportional to the displacement of the car (skidding distance) and the kinetic energy is directly related to the square of the speed (KE=0.5*m*v^2). For this reason, the skidding distance is directly proportional to the square of the speed. So if the speeds is tripled from 50 km/hr to 150 km/hr, then the stopping distance is increased by a factor of 9 (from 15 m to 9*15 m; or 135 m).

Last edited:

TheBirdy

pilot
Hello everyone,
Just finished testing today. There were a couple problems I encountered that I had not seen before. One was in the math section and said, "A farm has horses and ponies. 5/6 th's of the ponies have horseshoes. Half of the ponies with horseshoes are brown. What is the minimum number of ponies?" Answer choices were 12, 14, 19, 21.

This one is disguised to be harder than it seems.

The only thing important and relative to this problem is that 5/6 th's of the ponies have horseshoes. Using the answer choices, which one of them gives you an integer when you take 5/6 th's of that number? Answer: 12 (12x5=60/6=10). All other answer choices will give you a number that is not an integer. Example: 14x5=70/6=11.67....not possible, unless we're considering dead ponies here.

Meza

Took the test two days ago: 70 9/9/8

I never would have gotten that score without pouring over this gouge. (And a little bit of dumb luck).

My advice to everyone: Don't be afraid to take your time. I probably spent about 1.5-2mins on all the math questions, and it ended before time ran out. I had logs, matrix multiplication, and negative fractional exponents.

I also feel like I could have gotten a 9 FOFAR if I had slowed down a half second on the Parking Lot test. I rushed about 3 of them and got them wrong.

Best of luck to all!!!
Do you have any study guides or suggested sites that really benefited you?

Zachary Ramos

I don't know if this has been asked before but, is there any divisional polynomial questions? Or does the test simply consist of basic multiplication polynomials?

CBaum

I only encountered multiplication, and even that was only once or twice. I'd focus more on geometry rules, probability, logarithms, and matrices.

FleetR

I just took the exam this morning and thought I would give my experience.
Math gave me a few fractional problems, one Logarithm (which the answer was simplified in exponential form), two geometry questions, and the rest were word problems that got to be difficult.
The Mechanical part was semi difficult, I have never had Physics or the likes before. Mostly looking at the picture and making the best educated guess I could I slid by.
The reading comprehension was the hardest for me. I am a good writer and a superb reader, yet I found myself spacing out and losing focus (If you have ever read a naval message, you know what I mean).
It felt like most of the options were the correct choice.
The UAV test was simple, yet those diagonals would stall me for about 5.5 seconds each. 90% I located correctly in about 2-3.5 seconds.
Nautical and Naval Aviation were basic knowledge questions. The Aviation questions covered where runway items and the mechanics of lift. Im trying to be vague as to not give away the questions.
The simulator portion made me feel like I was juggling 8 balls at once. It is pretty intense for such an atari like setting. Best advice I can give for that is track the vertical target, and use your peripheral vision to track the two dimensional target.

I am a Chemistry and International Business student and a 5 year active duty CTT that has been in the reserves for 1 year now. I thought I would take the exam later this year, but yesterday was asked if I could take it the next morning. So I got a good 5 hours of cramming in for it, atop of a bunch of Flight simulator time.

I thought I did horrible, absolutely terrible. I walked away with a 58 - 8/8/7 .
I still feel I can do better.

echowhiskey

Tenax Propositi
I just took the exam this morning and thought I would give my experience.
Math gave me a few fractional problems, one Logarithm (which the answer was simplified in exponential form), two geometry questions, and the rest were word problems that got to be difficult.
The Mechanical part was semi difficult, I have never had Physics or the likes before. Mostly looking at the picture and making the best educated guess I could I slid by.
The reading comprehension was the hardest for me. I am a good writer and a superb reader, yet I found myself spacing out and losing focus (If you have ever read a naval message, you know what I mean).
It felt like most of the options were the correct choice.
The UAV test was simple, yet those diagonals would stall me for about 5.5 seconds each. 90% I located correctly in about 2-3.5 seconds.
Nautical and Naval Aviation were basic knowledge questions. The Aviation questions covered where runway items and the mechanics of lift. Im trying to be vague as to not give away the questions.
The simulator portion made me feel like I was juggling 8 balls at once. It is pretty intense for such an atari like setting. Best advice I can give for that is track the vertical target, and use your peripheral vision to track the two dimensional target.

I am a Chemistry and International Business student and a 5 year active duty CTT that has been in the reserves for 1 year now. I thought I would take the exam later this year, but yesterday was asked if I could take it the next morning. So I got a good 5 hours of cramming in for it, atop of a bunch of Flight simulator time.

I thought I did horrible, absolutely terrible. I walked away with a 58 - 8/8/7 .

Those are awesome scores...especially for 5 hours of cramming.

I take it Friday (16MAY) so I'll be sure to post up about my "experience" as well. The math section has me worried the most.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No
FleetR, no need to do better, those numbers are fine!;)

Re: your LORs, a good source of quality letters are your College Profs, former Navy Supervisors (both Os & senior Es, i.e. LPOs, Div. CPOs, DivOs, DHs, XO,/COs. Also Boy Scout Ldrs, HS teachers, HS/College Sports Coaches, etc. If possible, 3-5 good LORs are sufficient.:)
BzB