• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life insurance

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Being that I am a civilian, full time student would anyone recommend getting life insurance before I get anything aviation related (pilot or NFO) attached to my occupation records? Does anyone have experience with a drastic cost difference once you join the military or aviation community?

Last edited:

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Without getting into a whole life vs term debate. As long as you make sure you get a policy that doesn't have a war clause or takes into account your job as a pilot/aircrew you are good to go. There are quite a few military friendly companies that provide very good/inexpensive life insurance policies. I recently had to investigate my options post retirement and settled on a term policy with Navy Mutual Aid Association. Inexpensive for what I wanted. I don't think you will have any issues finding a policy that meets your needs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who would your beneficiary be? Do you have a wife and kids to support?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
@webmaster Thanks a lot for the help. It's a whole new world of variables I'm getting into so this is a great start. I'm sure I'll figure out a lot more as I move along through the process but figured I'd look for insight.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
You will also get SGLI (unless you decline) from the military. I believe you are automatically issued the full $400k unless you opt out or opt for a lower amount. I believe it is ~$25/mo.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
You will also get SGLI (unless you decline) from the military. I believe you are automatically issued the full $400k unless you opt out or opt for a lower amount. I believe it is ~$25/mo.
So nothing I need to be shopping for now. Great info, thank you!

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I will second making sure that you do NOT decline the SGLI. You can also get a small policy ($100k?) on your wife and I think up to $10k on each kid once you have them. I don't recall off hand how much the dependent policies cost.

Personally, after my husband's father passed away suddenly leaving his wife who had been a SAHM her entire life a widow at the age of 45, we made sure that we had more than enough life insurance by taking out a policy with Navy Mutual to augment the SGLI. Now, we have a third but only because my husband joined the Knights of Columbus and it was really, really hard to say no to his Brother Knights. lol.

It never hurts to start shopping now. You are young and healthy and getting into a low cost policy now might pay dividends later in life if something happens to you that could prevent you from getting an adequate policy later in life. Seriously, an accident tomorrow could end your military aspirations and thus access to SGLI.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
for anyone who reads this thread for info. http://benefits.va.gov/insurance/sgli.asp

I will second making sure that you do NOT decline the SGLI.

It never hurts to start shopping now. You are young and healthy and getting into a low cost policy now might pay dividends later in life if something happens to you that could prevent you from getting an adequate policy later in life. Seriously, an accident tomorrow could end your military aspirations and thus access to SGLI.

Thank you. I was not even aware this existed so I'm glad I asked the question. I assume it's something we find out about once we sign.

exNavyOffRec

So nothing I need to be shopping for now. Great info, thank you!

It depends, there are many flavor of life insurance, and it really depends what you can qualify for, in my case Navy Mutual was the worst as far as rates, I believe double what anyone else offered, but for webmaster they worked out.

This is what I have, and I will use rough numbers since I don't have the papers in front of me to give exact numbers, but I went with what is considered "whole life", I pay 250 per month for 30 years and after 30 years I can continue to pay in or I can cash it out and get 150K.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
It depends, there are many flavor of life insurance, and it really depends what you can qualify for, in my case Navy Mutual was the worst as far as rates, I believe double what anyone else offered, but for webmaster they worked out.

This is what I have, and I will use rough numbers since I don't have the papers in front of me to give exact numbers, but I went with what is considered "whole life", I pay 250 per month for 30 years and after 30 years I can continue to pay in or I can cash it out and get 150K.
So for some it may be more advantageous to skip on the SGLI or do you work through Navy Mutual for SGLI?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
SGLI is completely separate from the Navy Mutual policies we talk about.

You are automatically eligible for the SGLI when you join the military. Navy Mutual is a company that will sell you an insurance policy based on a number of factors including health.