• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

mitrokhin

If anyone has a suggestion for cool places to stop between Houston and Newport, I'm all ears. Figured that I'd make a week out of it, maybe go camp in a state park for a day or two. Also, any good places to get a last supper in Providence?

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
If it's not too far out of the way, Asheville, NC is an awesome town. Very artsy / trendy mountain town with a great vibe and about 12 local breweries.... Worth a visit for sure. Also, you can pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway from there and take in some incredible scenery and camping opportunities throughout Western NC and VA. Just my two cents... Awesome that you're looking to make a trip out of it!

mitrokhin

If it's not too far out of the way, Asheville, NC is an awesome town. Very artsy / trendy mountain town with a great vibe and about 12 local breweries.... Worth a visit for sure. Also, you can pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway from there and take in some incredible scenery and camping opportunities throughout Western NC and VA. Just my two cents... Awesome that you're looking to make a trip out of it!
Interesting you mention that - I used to go to conventions with my YMCA back in the day at Blue Ridge Assembly. Plus, Cheerwine doesn't exist in Texas, so I'll probably visit my friend in Raleigh and pick up a case or two. The stuff tastes like shit, but I drink it for the memories. Any places to eat in Asheville? Only thing I can remember up that way was the grocery store, haha.

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
Interesting you mention that - I used to go to conventions with my YMCA back in the day at Blue Ridge Assembly. Plus, Cheerwine doesn't exist in Texas, so I'll probably visit my friend in Raleigh and pick up a case or two. The stuff tastes like shit, but I drink it for the memories. Any places to eat in Asheville? Only thing I can remember up that way was the grocery store, haha.

Tupelo Honey Cafe is a must-stop for breakfast. Lots of great dinner places in town; I'd look on Yelp and pick from there.

Another good stop is Richmond, VA and/or the Norfolk / Virginia Beach area. I live in the latter area, so plenty of recommendations for food, sights and whatnot... I know some great spots in Richmond, too. Either of those would be a good place to stop if you're hitting Raleigh anyway. I hear ya about the Cheerwine.

When you get to the NYC area, eat at Tops Diner in East Newark, NJ. Used to be our college hangout - the full Jersey diner experience!

VoodooNova

None

Asheville is a fantastic town. It's a city with a small town feel, plus more breweries per capita than anyone cares to count. While you drive up the Blue Ridge, head to Blowing Rock and Boone, NC. I've lived in the area for the last 4 years and you'll be hard-pressed to find small town that are as beautiful as those two.

Spent a year in Greensboro, NC - great city with plenty to do. It's right on the I-85 corridor too. If you're going as far east as Raleigh, Chapel Hill is always a good place to stop. Shameless plug for Williamsburg, VA too. Busch Gardens Europe is here, with the Anheuser Brewery and other local ones as well. Plenty of stuff to do here.

Not that I'm biased or anything.

mitrokhin

I live in Raleigh, might get the September date as well since I am age critical. Plenty to do here.
Sounds like we might get to commiserate. Until last week, I thought that I'd be at OCS in early June. Plenty of time to hit up a lot of those places.

brogdawg32

Unfortunately I have my doubts about my cars ability to survive the cross country trip (Los Angeles). I'm stuck debating whether to attempt the trip, or sell my old car and buy a new one. The struggle is real

Unfortunately I have my doubts about my cars ability to survive the cross country trip (Los Angeles). I'm stuck debating whether to attempt the trip, or sell my old car and buy a new one. The struggle is real
I am coming out from the west coast too. I am flying even though my car is pretty reliable. I think BzB brings up a good point about buying one later as I wouldn't want a new car to have to think about it being alone for months in Newport, RI.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
For anyone thinking of getting the Ensignmobile, I'd recommend not buying new, and definitely don't go to the used car lots near the bases (if you're non-prior, you'll hear more about these lots at OCS, which target servicemembers with predatory deals and usually advertise things like 'Financing for E-1 and up!"). Get certified pre-owned, either straight from a dealer or from something like USAA's car buying service. Look for something a few years old, you'll be looking at fleet vehicles and leased cars in great condition. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation.
EDIT: Also consider getting something like a pick-up or SUV with a hitch and lots of cargo space, a PCS-mobile so you can do all your moves yourself. You'll make quite a chunk of change doing HHG moves without having to hire movers or get a U-Haul.

Or get a hoopty and put 26" rims on it. And/or a spoiler.

i201131.jpg