• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is there a limit on how far back I should go for LORs?

mel_vino34

I think I can get 2 LORs from a supervisor that absolutely valued me at job from 5 years ago and my JROTC instructor (Ret. AF 0-3) from HS about 7 years ago. I am confident about my old boss remembering me but not so my the JROTC instructor, well because kids come and go every year. Would those be of any value even if that much time has passed since they've seen me?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would those be of any value even if that much time has passed since they've seen me?
Seeing as how they are favorable LORs from persons who know you well, and not of the "fill in the blanks" variety, from a person you've never met... I see no reason to omit them simply because they are not brand new. Might be money to gather 6-7 good ones if you can, then pull the best 4-5 for your packet. More than that... overkill!;)
BzB

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I think I can get 2 LORs from a supervisor that absolutely valued me at job from 5 years ago and my JROTC instructor (Ret. AF 0-3) from HS about 7 years ago. I am confident about my old boss remembering me but not so my the JROTC instructor, well because kids come and go every year. Would those be of any value even if that much time has passed since they've seen me?

I say stick to 3-4 good references than 5-6 average ones. This might be a pet peeve from me, but I discourage applicants getting reference forms from those going back to high school.

By the way, when do you turn 27? Also, why are you wanting to retake the ASTB when you already meet the quality threshold for both Pilot and NFO?

NAVY680

So would you rather have a good LOR from a long time friend or just a generic one from someone with an important title?
(As a reservist who has to account for civilian work too)

mel_vino34

I say stick to 3-4 good references than 5-6 average ones. This might be a pet peeve from me, but I discourage applicants getting reference forms from those going back to high school.

By the way, when do you turn 27? Also, why are you wanting to retake the ASTB when you already meet the quality threshold for both Pilot and NFO?

I turn 27 in March of next year. My OR suggested I retake the ASTB to get more competitive scores while I put my packet together. If I get it done before the retake, the current scores would be submitted. And my math is off (by a year) because I couldn't even remember how long ago HS was. It just makes me not want to get a LoR even more because of the time that has passed.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I turn 27 in March of next year. My OR suggested I retake the ASTB to get more competitive scores while I put my packet together. If I get it done before the retake, the current scores would be submitted. And my math is off (by a year) because I couldn't even remember how long ago HS was. It just makes me not want to get a LoR even more because of the time that has passed.

Okay cool, I'd suggest submitting your kit within the next month or so if possible. As you've seen on here, it can take several months to ship out to OCS.