• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NW IA

NFO study problems

Hello everyone,

I just joined this place not too long ago in order for help on studying. I'm trying to get into the Navy in order to be an NFO. I think that I don't have adequate study guides and things that will help me prepare for the ASTB. The thing is, I have looked through a lot of the study guides posted on here and throughout the internet, and they really don't help. What I mean is is that they just tell you the answer, not how to get it. If I can't figure out how to get the answer, or at least in the ballpark of the answer, the entire study guide is useless. Does anyone have anything that can help me? I am really having trouble with math, physics, and mechanical comprehension.

Thank you so much

I bought the Military Flight Aptitude Tests for Dummies book to help study for the ASTB. I'd recommend it to anyone. It has a full astb practice test and an explanation for each answer. Good luck!

dmamula

With this question. (Image is attached) The book said the answer is 400 but I see a mechanical advantage of 3 because I thought the last pully does not count. Do I have it all mixed up or is the book I am reading wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-21-19-34-45-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-21-19-34-45-1.png
    54 KB · Views: 141

dmamula

Got another one for you guys. The book tells.me the answer is b but I am thinking it is b and c. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-21-19-59-20-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-21-19-59-20-1.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 112

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Got another one for you guys. The book tells.me the answer is b but I am thinking it is b and c. What do you guys think?
That one is annoying, because 1 and 3 look like the same size (as do 4 and 5). Which would mean that they'd spin at the same rate, implying that B, C, AND D are all not true. Would it kill them to put some measurements in there?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I was going to say the same thing. TO me B, C, and D are the right answer. Maybe they meant to say, "which of the ff statements IS TRUE".
That's what I'd assume. If that actually happened on the test, I'd probably pick A actually, since it seems pretty obvious that B C and D are all untrue, and yet they obviously all can't be the correct answer.
What book are you using, dmamula?

thomasEB

Hi All,

In perusing through these threads, I've seen many ASTB scores from folks that are interested in pursuing various officer programs. I personally am interested in Intel/IW/CWE. The average OAR for all test-takers appears to be 40-60 (see figure). But my question is the following: What is the average OAR score for Intel Officers or CWE's?

Attachments

• bargraph.png
    bargraph.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 60

dmamula

Whats going on guys,

I have been cramming for this test on Thursday but I am having trouble with the word problems. I keep on mixing up formulas and forgetting to do parts of the steps. I also have trouble converting a fraction to what ever part of the time hours/mins ect. Anybody have some good Youtube Videos or websites to help with this? I found some but was just wondering if I was missing any that was better then what I have found. Thanks in advance.

dmamula

That's what I'd assume. If that actually happened on the test, I'd probably pick A actually, since it seems pretty obvious that B C and D are all untrue, and yet they obviously all can't be the correct answer.
What book are you using, dmamula?

One of the books I found on line. It's called

Military Flight Aptitude Tests by Solomon Wiener (made by Thomson Peterson's)

That book and the Accepted Inc book I believe has the most errors in it.

Hello all, just signed up to take the ASTB (OAR portion) on June 16th. I was wondering what the "BEST" resources were for studying for the new ASTB that came out this year??? Which study guides will help me the most? And What should I focus on (for being someone that isn't the most mathematically inclined?) I ask because I need to score high on the test to overlook a low portion of my OCS package. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Kenneth.Wooten

I just took the exam today and got 49 for the OAR and 4/4/4. I know that's not the best of scores but was wondering what else you have to offer for advice to prepare for it. I plan on taking it again on August 21, 2014 within the 6 months my PRK is still in recovery. The Aviation part had confused me with the parking lot aspect and then the dichotic listening and the other portions were a little tricky and confusing. Granted, when I take them again, I will definitely try my best to get a score hopefully around 60 and 6's on the Aviation tests if not higher for both. Just am really hoping that you guys can provide me with other information and practice problems besides the ones from proprofs, the trick play study guide and everything else that was posted on your website. Something hopefully I do not have to buy. For the aviation measurement tests, are there any study guides for the perception testing they had on it? And for the listening test, what exactly was it asking you? That part really confused me. Along with the parking lot perception section. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really want to excel a lot more the next time I take it and hope that that will be the last time I need to take it to have a successful enough score for aviation school down in pensacola. Thanks

Kenneth

navy2014

Hello all, just signed up to take the ASTB (OAR portion) on June 16th. I was wondering what the "BEST" resources were for studying for the new ASTB that came out this year??? Which study guides will help me the most? And What should I focus on (for being someone that isn't the most mathematically inclined?) I ask because I need to score high on the test to overlook a low portion of my OCS package. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

I think some of the sticky threads in the ASTB forum are for posting resources... you'll just have to comb through some of the stuff here and pick it out. I'm not sure what I recommend at this point--I kept it as simple as possible and found a packet on here that had pretty comprehensive math info and some basic mechanic stuff. I still honestly don't know how you would teach the reading portion. The topics you need to know going into math to do well seem to be a lot more limited than the number of topics you will end up seeing on mechanics/physics. Of course, now that the test is progressive, you will get to a point where you don't know how to do some of the stuff anyway. I got there pretty fast on mechanics, since I hadn't studied nearly enough, but the score turned out fine overall.

navy2014

I just took the exam today and got 49 for the OAR and 4/4/4. I know that's not the best of scores but was wondering what else you have to offer for advice to prepare for it. I plan on taking it again on August 21, 2014 within the 6 months my PRK is still in recovery. The Aviation part had confused me with the parking lot aspect and then the dichotic listening and the other portions were a little tricky and confusing. Granted, when I take them again, I will definitely try my best to get a score hopefully around 60 and 6's on the Aviation tests if not higher for both. Just am really hoping that you guys can provide me with other information and practice problems besides the ones from proprofs, the trick play study guide and everything else that was posted on your website. Something hopefully I do not have to buy. For the aviation measurement tests, are there any study guides for the perception testing they had on it? And for the listening test, what exactly was it asking you? That part really confused me. Along with the parking lot perception section. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really want to excel a lot more the next time I take it and hope that that will be the last time I need to take it to have a successful enough score for aviation school down in pensacola. Thanks

Kenneth

Read my reply above to a different person about my (very limited) advice for studying more stuff for the OAR. Keep it simple, but make sure you're using what feels like good resources.

The good news is that you will almost certainly go up in the aviation scores. If you really want to be SNA/NFO, I don't think your OAR would be the end of the world as long as you can get the 4/4/4 up to 8's. I can't say that for certain--no one can--and of course you would be a lot better off if you can get it up, but it sounds like you're determined to. I think your score will go up just because you will be less nervous, and know what's on the test. To your specific issues:

The parking lot shouldn't throw you as much next time... I think I remember you having a lot of opportunity (if not unlimited) to practice it before you take the section. Read through my posts and try to find the one where someone posted 10 practice parking lot screens and I posted what I think the answers would be (and people seemed to agree). Read that thread to get an idea of what's going on.

Not sure what you mean by the perception testing, sorry.

The listening test: you put the headset on, and you hear different things in each ear, at the same time. Meaning you have to listen to what is being said in each ear and keep it separate. The options for what is said are numbers and letters. You are supposed to be listening for the voice to call out an odd number--(can't remember if it's even or odd you're listening for, obviously you should listen to the instructions or read the threads here to make sure)--and then press the button on the device you're holding with the hand that corresponds to the ear it was said in. For example, if the odd number was in your right ear, you hit the button on the joystick (that's the one I used in my right hand, anyway).

I recommend REALLY trying hard on this part--if you get the numbers right consistently and quickly, even when the task is added to the flying simulation portions, you can still score really high even if you're just kind of flailing with the controls for the plane. Trust me.

Alcatraz

Don't know if this has been asked before but do selection boards prefer the new astb which went active 9 Dec 2013 over the old version? I took the old version before the deadline and got 9/8/9 63 I'm just worried that by taking the old version and my pfar being lower that I'm pretty much guaranteed a shot at NFO over pilot which I would prefer even though I'd take NFO next. Should I take the new one or stick with the my score on the old one? In the fall I will be a Junior in NROTC.

zarevich

Don't know if this has been asked before but do selection boards prefer the new astb which went active 9 Dec 2013 over the old version? I took the old version before the deadline and got 9/8/9 63 I'm just worried that by taking the old version and my pfar being lower that I'm pretty much guaranteed a shot at NFO over pilot which I would prefer even though I'd take NFO next. Should I take the new one or stick with the my score on the old one? In the fall I will be a Junior in NROTC.

I dont think they would care with the scores you got. I would just stay with the old version.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
With scores like that, you would be absolutely nuts to retake the test. Submit your application, I'm sure you will make both SNA and SNFO selections. I'm not positive how these things work from an NROTC perspective, but based on my experiences from the civilian side, those scores are almost impossible to turn down, barring something horrible with medical/background/etc.