• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 IDC DCO Boards

lost_in_asia

I went through a very similar situation where my documents never made it to board the first time around. I was incredibly disappointed but used the time to increase my package's competitiveness and was selected at the next board.

Just out of curiosity, which NRD?

IntelNinja

I get to make up my own? Hmm...
In an effort to impart some calming reassurance, if possible, try to look at the situation, that while frustrating, might be beneficial to your competitiveness for a few reasons.

If your packet was held up at your NRD prior to submission, there was likely a reason that was keeping your packet from being the best and thorough representation of you to the Board. You don't want the Board to decline your selection for a "paperwork" issue or reason. While you may be frustrated that the paperwork wasn't taken care of prior to Board submission, I have two suggestions.

One, try not to have a myopic view of the Officer selection process. You are one candidate of many a recruiter is likely dealing with. That recruiter is one of many that the NRD is dealing with. That NRD is one of many that Millington is dealing with. Which brings me to suggestion two, if you're so frustrated by this process, you're going to have a hard time if and when you get selected. The waiting, paperwork, administrivia, and frustration doesn't go away once you're commissioned. It's just starting at that point.

There are things you can control and things you can't. If you find yourself spending the majority of your attention and time focusing on the things you have no control over, you're going to have a rough life, not just a rough time trying to become an officer. Endure, persevere, and overcome.

joeimp

Hello all, does anyone have any insight into the DD-368 (conditional release) approval process? I read the IDCRESCOM and BUPERS instructions, but still not sure how the approval works. The only signature block on the form is for the unit CO.

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
All - I just wanted to give an update on where I was in my process. After hearing I was prorec'd after the March board I waited to hear on the next steps from my recruiter. He sent me a bunch of medical forms that I needed to fill out in preparation for MEPs. Per advice from this forum and some other Reservists I spoke with, I opted not to go to MEPs. Instead my recruiter was able to schedule me for pre-commissioning medical readiness at Walter Reed in Bethesda. That was a great option for me since I live close by. I suppose with MEPs you can get everything done in one shot, but I've heard some not so great things about that process and just didn't want to deal with it. I didn't mind breaking the appointments up either so Walter Reed worked out well for me. So far I completed Part 1 which included my dental, ear, eye exam, bloodwork, urine and TB test. So far everything looks good. I have to go back soon for Part 2 which includes getting my lab results and the medical physical. I have to say that the experience at Walter Reed has been pleasant. Every office I went to for a test I just said I was there for a pre-commissioning exam and they were all very professional and respectful and called me 'Sir' and everything - which I appreciated. They also knew exactly how to fill out all the forms. Originally I considered going to a private clinic, but I was afraid they might not understand how to fill out all the forms. Going to Walter Reed definitely made things a lot easier - even if I had to wait a couple weeks for my appointment. If you are in the DC or Maryland area and ever need to complete your medical readiness - I would highly recommend asking your recruiter to send you there.

Update- So I did my complete pre-commissioning exam 2 weeks ago and now I am just waiting to hear back if I am physically qualified. I dont anticipate any problems but you never know. All my exams were good except I did have to get an additional eye exam since I had PRK surgery a few years ago... I guess it is just a waiting game now..My recruiter thinks we might be able to get me pinned by the end of May! In preparation, I ordered some uniform items today. Picked up Summer Whites (for commissioning), Khakis, and gold name tapes for the NWUs.. Feels pretty good seeing a khaki garrison cover with a gold bar and officer crest on it at my house :)

A quick piece of advice, all the officer in my command really emphasized that I NEED to pin ASAP so my service date starts ASAP. We have an officer in our command who waited a month to have a big party and that ended up setting all his future promotions back a year because of the way the cycles work. I dont completely understand it but I have no intention of waiting at all anyway lol.

Well... I just put in orders to go to the IDWO Academy being hosted in San Diego June 2nd - 6th. My CO recommended that myself and another new Ensign go to knock out our IDWO PQS.. It is going to be awesome going on my first trip as an O-1E.. The only thing is, this is all dependent on me actually commissioning by then. Everything is in and just waiting now. My recruiter things its a safe bet that I will commission by the end of May.

yingty01

Well... I just put in orders to go to the IDWO Academy being hosted in San Diego June 2nd - 6th. My CO recommended that myself and another new Ensign go to knock out our IDWO PQS.. It is going to be awesome going on my first trip as an O-1E.. The only thing is, this is all dependent on me actually commissioning by then. Everything is in and just waiting now. My recruiter things its a safe bet that I will commission by the end of May.
My understanding is that you need to have completed Phase II to attend that surge. Might want to check with the surge POC. Otherwise, I'll see you there.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Good morning everyone... I apologize if this isn't the right thread for this post.

I am hoping to get some good gouge on how the DCO process works these days - especially on the intel front. I applied for Intel and Supply back in 2004 but was not pro-recc'd. Since then my work experience and resume has improved drastically. I don't really want to list out the highlights (unless requested), but I just got back to the US after five years in a diplomatic assignment in Europe, working with my agency's German equivalent. I'm now in Northern Virginia and I am contemplating enlisting in the Reserve again (I was in 2002-2010; a product of the ill-fated NPS Program - finishing my enlistment as an IS2 a JAC Molesworth). I do feel that my experiences (professional and educational) have prepared me to go the DCO route though...

I have heard stories that getting a DC in this area all depends on connections... From looking through the thread it sounds like Richmond is a tricky animal to deal with.

What's the story on the application process these days? Is the ASTB still used? Unfortunately, my background is in the social science side of things (BA in Poli Sci; MA in Intel Studies; and a FedLEO job for 9+ years), not the techy side. Is this going to hurt me?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

yingty01

Good morning everyone... I apologize if this isn't the right thread for this post.

I am hoping to get some good gouge on how the DCO process works these days - especially on the intel front. I applied for Intel and Supply back in 2004 but was not pro-recc'd. Since then my work experience and resume has improved drastically. I don't really want to list out the highlights (unless requested), but I just got back to the US after five years in a diplomatic assignment in Europe, working with my agency's German equivalent. I'm now in Northern Virginia and I am contemplating enlisting in the Reserve again (I was in 2002-2010; a product of the ill-fated NPS Program - finishing my enlistment as an IS2 a JAC Molesworth). I do feel that my experiences (professional and educational) have prepared me to go the DCO route though...

I have heard stories that getting a DC in this area all depends on connections... From looking through the thread it sounds like Richmond is a tricky animal to deal with.

What's the story on the application process these days? Is the ASTB still used? Unfortunately, my background is in the social science side of things (BA in Poli Sci; MA in Intel Studies; and a FedLEO job for 9+ years), not the techy side. Is this going to hurt me?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
The application process for DCO is tedious, but straight forward. There are no standardized tests (ASTB is for aviation; thinking of ASVAB perhaps?). I know that the Navy is pushing for more STEM-oriented applicants, but I still see large numbers- maybe even a majority- of people coming in from non-technical backgrounds. I know quite a few LEO's who have come in recently. You appear to have a competitive background.

I've heard people blame their inability to select on the nebulous "connections" theory, whatever that means. DC is an ultra-competitive place to recruit out of. Recruiters have an overabundance of talented, well-educated, senior people to choose from. I think you can dismiss that as a factor.

PM if you'd like to talk in more detail in private. We probably don't live too far away from one another.

My understanding is that you need to have completed Phase II to attend that surge. Might want to check with the surge POC. Otherwise, I'll see you there.

What do you mean Phase II? If you are talking about DCOIC, the POC for the IDWO Academy says that we can still go and get everything signed off, we just cant actually sit the board until we go to DCOIC & IWBC. So if you are going to be in the same class (SD June 2-6) then I will see you there! My seat is already confirmed. I will be the brown guy with the wet gold bars ;-)

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
So the ASTB isn't required for all DCO candidates anymore? I could have sworn that was required for the Reserve side of the house. Man, that test was no fun.

Can someone comment on the overall state of the Reserves? How are things going, especially with the drawdown in Afghanistan? Will the reduction on the active duty side keep the Reserve side gainfully employed?

I'll shoot you a PM...

yingty01

What do you mean Phase II? If you are talking about DCOIC, the POC for the IDWO Academy says that we can still go and get everything signed off, we just cant actually sit the board until we go to DCOIC & IWBC. So if you are going to be in the same class (SD June 2-6) then I will see you there! My seat is already confirmed. I will be the brown guy with the wet gold bars ;-)
Sorry- The pre-req's I was referring to are for Intel-O's. Phase II is the capstone for NIOBC-Reserve. Brainfart.

joeimp

COMDOCS. It has been almost eight weeks since the results were announced. My DD-368 still has not been approved by PERS or even routed to IDC. I have had one NOSC botch the physical and another refuse to do it. So I am waiting to go to MEPS. I understand there is a lot that goes into this process, but since there's a 90 day deadline to commission I figured shooting for a late-May commissioning was reasonable. I guess it all depends on the NOSC staff and recruiters you are working with.