• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Former Marine Infantryman with questions about going Navy Pilot (help a crunchy out)

Try searching for "Skeeterman" on the site and then the reference won't sail over your head.

Jarhead, I think the problem you may be running into is that you're asking people for advice on making the transition to the Navy and then you immediately tell the same people that some of the rules don't apply to you. That's probably some of the reluctance in helping you that you're getting.
If that's how I am coming off I apologize. I am still not sure how my request for some advice from prior Marines got twisted into a debate over whether I was too old to get a pilot slot or not. The skeeterman thing was right on the money by the way, I like to make a habit of hitting up all the cool guy websites and pretending I am cool too. It keeps the morale out of my boots. Thanks for the heads up by the way. I really thought I knew that dude for a second.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'd say the conversation got twisted into a discussion of whether or not you're too old, because it looks like you're too old.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok got it, now that we got that cleared up... still looking for some info.

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, you're actually getting what you asked for. One of the things I saw from Marines-turned-Navy guys just reporting to API is that they still want to enforce their Marine logic/rules/raison d'etre to the Navy guys who are doing just fine adhering to Navy standards. It wasn't all of them, but it's definitely something to avoid. Even current Marine instructors have a hard time getting this, so I guess the "new" Navy studs are in good company.

Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, you're actually getting what you asked for. One of the things I saw from Marines-turned-Navy guys just reporting to API is that they still want to enforce their Marine logic/rules/raison d'etre to the Navy guys who are doing just fine adhering to Navy standards. It wasn't all of them, but it's definitely something to avoid. Even current Marine instructors have a hard time getting this, so I guess the "new" Navy studs are in good company.
Point taken, thanks. If you wouldn't mind giving me an example of this, just so I am clear. I might not be able to recognize the behavior since it would seem normal to me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Haircuts, uniform regs (that don't apply), and just general thoughts about how the Navy "should" be doing things because that's how it's done in the Corps. I'm sure there are others, but those are three that pop to mind.

Haircuts, uniform regs (that don't apply), and just general thoughts about how the Navy "should" be doing things because that's how it's done in the Corps. I'm sure there are others, but those are three that pop to mind.
Got it. Haircuts and uniform regs would probably be last things that I would ever talk about. As far as how the Navy runs things, wont know it till im there. At the same time though, there is always someone complaining about the head shed, wouldnt be the military if there wasn't. Thanks, thats good intel.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm still interested in your plan for circumventing the age waiver requirements. Perhaps this will present opportunities for others.

I'm still interested in your plan for circumventing the age waiver requirements. Perhaps this will present opportunities for others.
I didn't want to get too much into it, and give false hope. Its not fool proof, and my situation has provided great opportunities to network. I work at a US Embassy running PSD (Personal Security Details). A good portion of our principals are from the Office of Security Cooperation, which is a joint military posting with reps from all branches. I am just finishing up a 2 1/2 year posting, so i have had time to talk to a lot of these people. Many had a lot of good insights and advice, all of them said not to give up on it. I was advised that if I get the right references, which as I said I can get some good ones out here, and push hard for an exception to policy(their words) It may still be possible to get the slot. A buddy from my program also put me in contact with a retired NA who was in my situation as well, and ended up being one of (if not the oldest) SNAs to graduate the course. Again he was flying F-4s and F-14s so not quite recent experience, but he did it so I will take the help. Like I said nothing is a guarantee, but I think it is worth fighting the good fight for.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Never hurts to try for sure. I have never heard of it happening, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't.