• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

leave for OCS in 2 weeks and still no orders

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Yeah that's a tough drive. Back in college, I made the Florida-New York drive almost a dozen times (family's in Albany, college in Daytona), and I always wanted to try it in one shot. Mapquest said 20 hours...if you do the speed limit. But yeah, shouldn't take more than two days, just spend the night in Rocky Mount or something, assuming you're taking I-95.
just mapped it at its pegging me at 21 hours from Tampa...I would be beat to hell form that drive so starting to contemplate flying. Anyone have any cons to flying? or benefits to having a vehicle?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
just mapped it at its pegging me at 21 hours from Tampa...I would be beat to hell form that drive so starting to contemplate flying. Anyone have any cons to flying? or benefits to having a vehicle?

You're still going to have to drive straight back to FL, lol. The only con I see to flying is having to grab a taxi to a hotel from the airport, and you won't have an additional "locker", but that's relative to how much stuff you'll be bringing.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
You're still going to have to drive straight back to FL, lol. The only con I see to flying is having to grab a taxi to a hotel from the airport, and you won't have an additional "locker", but that's relative to how much stuff you'll be bringing.
I'm bringing next to nothing other than what is required which almost makes it pointless to have a car. Wasn't sure if there was such thing as weekend liberties or anything.

brownshoe

Contributor
Yeah that's a tough drive. Back in college, I made the Florida-New York drive almost a dozen times (family's in Albany, college in Daytona), and I always wanted to try it in one shot. Mapquest said 20 hours...if you do the speed limit. But yeah, shouldn't take more than two days, just spend the night in Rocky Mount or something, assuming you're taking I-95.
Used to take me about 18 hours from Jacksonville to Maryland if I drove straight through. However if a nights sleep was required... well "Pedro Sez".... (Still there too: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/&ei=-wVHU- 3XOKHNsQTV8IKIDQ&usg=AFQjCNHvTVyvPdEcc8E7MYybwDeYRoXDYw )

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
If you have a beater and you're worried it might not make the trip, I'd recommend flying. Otherwise, you can make quite a bit of money driving there and back again. They'll give you at least four travel days each way, plus the mileage. If you fly, they just pay for the flight ticket, it's on you to get the taxi to and from the airport, etc. But I had a few people in my class whose cars were not up to the journey. One broke down on the way, another had their battery die in the parking lot. You do get to use your car in candio phase a few times, especially getting closer to graduation. There's a dry liberty, a wet liberty, and then if your family comes out for Hi-Moms and everything, you'll probably get a chance to go out to dinner with them that week. So there are a few liberty weekends, but then again, if you're gonna be drinking anyway, that defeats the purpose of having the car.
Anyway, to sum up, if you think your car will survive the trip, and you want it for ferrying the fam around for the last half of graduation week, I say bring it. Otherwise, fly and split a cab for liberty weekends.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Used to take me about 18 hours from Jacksonville to Maryland if I drove straight through. However if a nights sleep was required... well "Pedro Sez".... (Still there too: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/&ei=-wVHU- 3XOKHNsQTV8IKIDQ&usg=AFQjCNHvTVyvPdEcc8E7MYybwDeYRoXDYw )
That place has sooooooooo many billboards leading up to it. And I always passed it at night, all lit up like the friggin' World's Fair or something.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
I'm bringing next to nothing other than what is required which almost makes it pointless to have a car. Wasn't sure if there was such thing as weekend liberties or anything.

What Tycho Brohe said. I think it's worth it to have a car during Candi-O phase. I drove from Tampa too, and I didn't think it was that bad. Stayed in Richmond, VA on night one and made it to Newport the next day.

brownshoe

Contributor
That place has sooooooooo many billboards leading up to it. And I always passed it at night, all lit up like the friggin' World's Fair or something.
Yes... waaaay back then (opened 1949) it was called advertising. Sorta like the Burma-Shave signs. :D (Google it for some fun.)

Surf

pilot
I'm right there with you, not sure whether to drive or fly yet. My concern is the reliability of my car, don't think she'd make the trek.

JamesL37

My OCS is April 27 and I still don't have my order and plane ticket. Should I be worried? I called my OR last Friday, and he said he will email the processor but haven't heard from him since...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My OCS is April 27 and I still don't have my order and plane ticket. Should I be worried? I called my OR last Friday, and he said he will email the processor but haven't heard from him since...

I mentioned in a previous post that it's fairly common for applicants to get orders/plane ticket the week prior to shipping to OCS.