• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about possible aviation disqulification

schmendog

I'm currently in a enlisted commissioning program and am a prior AW. Since I've been here at college, I've been seen twice by Navy medical for some lower back pain I was having, typically due to improper lifting or sleeping on the couch etc. They took X-rays and determined that my spine was a little compressed, most likely from 1,000 flight hours in the back of a helo, but they said it was nothing to be too concerned about.

Is this something that could potentially keep me from commissioning as a NFO?

IRfly

None
Any medical issue is potentially disqualifying. But seeing as how you've been to the doctor--twice--and you're not medically disqualified, I'm not sure what the question is.

Are you worried that the doc says you're fine but you think it's worse than the doc realizes?

robav8r

None
Contributor
It depends. I herniated two of my discs (L4/L5 & L5/S1) while I was a rescue swimmer (lots of running and about 1,500 flight hours at the time). I had a discectomy in 1990 and have been asymptomatic ever since and still in a flight status. I would recommend an MRI and getting some good, qualified medical advice. Based on what is discovered, it is possible to recover and receive a waiver for continued flight status. Definitely make sure you get the right advice though . . .