• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

azguy

None
I keep hearing things about SWO JOs stabbing each other in the back. What does that mean and why do they do that?

The back stabbing among JOs is much worse in aviation from what I hear because their JO FITREPs are very 'make or break.' As a SWO you are ranked generally the same on your fitness report, in aviation, as a LT JO, you will get (or not get) hard breakouts which strongly affect your competitiveness for LCDR.

So the SWO back stabbing myth is busted -- but the "eat their young" myth is 100% true.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only if your squadron sucks is backstabbing the norm. Sure, it's competitive in that if you suck you aren't going to be breaking out, but if you regularly stab other people in the back, chances are everyone else notices (to include those who write your fit rep) and no one will help you out when you need it. Aviation is a team sport and if you're a blue falcon then chances are you aren't going to do well.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Throwing people under the bus for things going wrong, taking total credit for something where others had a significant hand in success, etc.

azguy

None
What would be an example of backstabbing?

Do you think people are literally stabbing each other?!

Seriously, it's nothing special or unique to the military, backstabbing is just regular old douchiness. "Hey Captain, JamesL37's division was really struggling with preps for the drills tomorrow so I had my guys help him out."

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What would be an example of backstabbing?
Here's one. The head of one of the functional units (basically a department head) going to a president of one of the lines of businesses and complaining that of all the folks in IT, none of them were working on anything (according to this person), and none of them would help move a filing cabinet right there and then. Said president proceeds to launch into me without so much as an inquiry that me and my folks are not cooperating or working very well with others.

Forget about the fact that we're talking about a filing cabinet here. That is obviously irrelevant.

JamesL37

Thanks for all the responses! I don't think I've had anyone backstab me before so I just wanted to know what sort of shenanigans to watch out for.

vladivostok391

Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
Question for the SWO guys and gals...

I was recently PROREC'd for Intel (1830). Don't want to get too far ahead, but I was wondering: Would it be possible, down the road, for me to earn a SWO warfare pin as an 1830? I've heard some officers say it's possible, but I also found a qualification revision that says the Intel designator is ineligible:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...nts/SWOQUALandDESIGNATION14121Cdtd11Apr11.pdf

Any word on this from current SWOs in-the-know? I figure the documentation I found is the law of the land, but not sure if it's changed or still current.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Last I heard, no. In any case, I understand your work will be cut out for you earning your IDWO pin anyhow.

azguy

None
Nope, until fairly recently, non-SWOs were allowed to earn a SWO pin if they were assigned to a ship but they closed that "loophole" 5ish years ago. The big SWO qual that many pilots and restricted line guys try for is underway Officer of the Deck. I know that many communities value this differently, not sure if it's a big deal in intel.

Intel officers are now eligible for the IDWO pin, it kind of looks like a SWO pin from far away, so that's cool.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, until fairly recently, non-SWOs were allowed to earn a SWO pin if they were assigned to a ship...
That's not correct. Only certain designators were allowed to qualify SWO. Now, the fact that you probably know of or saw non SWO folks qualifying and subsequently wearing the SWO pin doesn't change what was technically allowed by PERS.

azguy

None
That's not correct. Only certain designators were allowed to qualify SWO. Now, the fact that you probably know of or saw non SWO folks qualifying and subsequently wearing the SWO pin doesn't change what was technically allowed by PERS.

Until 2011ish the IW ships company guys could get a SWO pin legitimately, by instruction. Since 2011 there have been a few iterations of the instruction which forbid any non SWO or surface mustangs. What are you referring to?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm referring to GenAv's, aviators, Intel-O's, SEAL's, non surface LDO's, and probably a few others I'm not thinking of right now. By instruction, they were not authorized to qualify SWO, yet CO's were still allowing it.

azguy

None
Ah I see. Yeah, I'm not a nuke or big deck guy so I don't worry about their schenanigans. That's retarded of the CO though. Its's the same as me going to the NEX and buying myself a set of wings to wear.