• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASIS Question

Chill314

I am providing all my current work info for NASIS, but I am worried that they will contact my current employer which will put me in a very awkward position, especially since I intend to work here until I have firm confirmation of something else (i.e. OCS date). Normally there is a box on this type of thing where you can indicate that you don't want your current employer contacted, but there isn't one on this form. What is the recommended course of action here?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I am providing all my current work info for NASIS, but I am worried that they will contact my current employer which will put me in a very awkward position, especially since I intend to work here until I have firm confirmation of something else (i.e. OCS date). Normally there is a box on this type of thing where you can indicate that you don't want your current employer contacted, but there isn't one on this form. What is the recommended course of action here?

Your profile says you are interested in aviation or intel. So there are two actions:

1. If you are going aviation, your background check will not be super thorough. Your employer will probably not be contacted.
2. If you put down intel on your application, then they will probably come knocking down their doors asking about you (SSBI investigation). There is nothing you can do about it, but I think your employer is in not in the right legally speaking if they retaliate at you because of this (others more knowledgeable will comment). This investigation will happen later if you end up going into most aviation communities.

Either way, you have to disclose it and there is nothing you can do. Maybe a comment in the comments section for that employer on the application?

azguy

None
Do a search man, I've seen this asked before.

If you ask me, no big deal, people are always looking for other opportunities if they are smart. Your employer knows that.

Chill314

Thanks for the advice guys, and I apologize for not searching more thoroughly. Looks like there is only one way forward which makes it pretty easy haha.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
I know there is another thread somewhere on this website discussing issues of drug use and its effect on security clearance eligibility and such, but I can't find it anywhere. My search skills are lacking, so I figured I'd put it here, feel free to direct me to the proper thread! Anyways, my question wasn't so much related directly to drugs as to the replies the question received. People have been saying to declare drug use even if it is minor, because down the road you may apply for TS clearance, take a polygraph, etc, and if the results don't match, that could be a deal breaker. So my question really only has to do with aviation career progress, not drug use. What scenarios might require an aviator to get TS clearance? Or is that more for Intel/IW/IDC communities? I don't really know a lot about aviation career progression past the first couple of years, still learning!

azguy

None
I'd say it's pretty likely you will need a TS clearance. TS doesn't require a poly all of the time, and there are different types of polys, it all depends on what job you get and what programs you need access to. Definitely not something you need to worry about in college, just know that from Day 1 it's very important that you are honest on all official government documents that you sign.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
That would be called "fraudulent enlistment"

I understand, I guess I should clarify. My question didn't actually have to do with drug use, that was just the issue that inspired my train of thought. I have no reason to hide or falsify any information on the NASIS or any other form, so that was probably a bad example to use. Anyways, I was mostly curious just with the particulars of aviation career development. Are their specific jobs/levels of advancement that require TS clearance years down the line? I would imagine that's probably something flag officers must have in any field. I've always thought it would be "cool" to have Top Secret clearance. In fact, I still think it's awesome that I am applying for Secret clearance. It's the kind of thing you see in movies and I never expected it to happen to me. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for any insight.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I understand, I guess I should clarify. My question didn't actually have to do with drug use, that was just the issue that inspired my train of thought. I have no reason to hide or falsify any information on the NASIS or any other form, so that was probably a bad example to use. Anyways, I was mostly curious just with the particulars of aviation career development. Are their specific jobs/levels of advancement that require TS clearance years down the line? I would imagine that's probably something flag officers must have in any field. I've always thought it would be "cool" to have Top Secret clearance. In fact, I still think it's awesome that I am applying for Secret clearance. It's the kind of thing you see in movies and I never expected it to happen to me. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for any insight.

If you get a clearance, you're gonna be really disappointed at how not sexy a lot of classified information is. I remember one of my intel instructors being like "well, I bet you are all pretty disappointed now!" after we were read in to a few SCI compartments.

You will need a TS/SCI in the strike fighter and VP communities. Not sure about the others. And even then, you won't work with it in a daily basis at all.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
If you get a clearance, you're gonna be really disappointed at how not sexy a lot of classified information is. I remember one of my intel instructors being like "well, I bet you are all pretty disappointed now!" after we were read in to a few SCI compartments.

You will need a TS/SCI in the strike fighter and VP communities. Not sure about the others. And even then, you won't work with it in a daily basis at all.
Need to know basis.