• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I found a M1A Scout for sale online (located near me) with all kinds of fancy Magpul stuff on it (but it's NOT a SOPMOD/EBR), Leupold 1.5-4x28, a SF muzzle brake, 7 mags (6 are "brand new" 20-rounders) and perhaps most importantly, 680 rounds of Privi 150gr ammo. He's asking $3800, but that seems a tad high. Based off Gunbroker Scout prices, he's not that far off though, and if it went for $3200-$3300, seems like a decent deal.

I really shouldn't afford it, and I certainly don't need it, but it's tempting. What say you all?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
An opportunity may be presenting itself... Any thoughts on which one to go with? Assume price is the same (slight markup from CMP due to convenience).

Two M1 Garands, both marked SG by CMP (with paperwork). Both are mix masters. One is a WWII (2/43) Springfield receiver with a 2/55 barrel, the other is a HRA rifle. The park on the Springfield is worn, the stock is rough. The HRA looks beautiful with some dings on the stock. I understand they're both mix masters, but the idea of having a WWII receiver is kind of cool, but the gun will probably need some work sooner rather than later (like Shuff's park treatment). But the HRAs sure are pretty.

Thoughts?

81montedriver

pilot
If anyone is looking for a good bang for the buck conceal carry pistol, I highly recommend the S&W M&P Shield. I've got the .40 and was pleasantly surprised with the lack of recoil for such a small and light gun. Easy to breakdown and shoots accurate. First time out put 115 rounds through it with no malfunctions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
If anyone is looking for a good bang for the buck conceal carry pistol, I highly recommend the S&W M&P Shield. I've got the .40 and was pleasantly surprised with the lack of recoil for such a small and light gun. Easy to breakdown and shoots accurate. First time out put 115 rounds through it with no malfunctions.
I was looking into something like this. Do they offer a manufacturer's discount for AD?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm struggling to resist the lure of a Sig MK25. It looks like there's two ways to go here. Gunbroker for a FDE version or a vendor (Kentucky Gun Company at the moment) for a black one. Besides just general look/sexiness, I'm not sure the FDE does anything better, but maybe I'm wrong. My two-tone P229 still corrodes on the slide, despite the finish. Anyone have any knowledge if the FDE coating handles corrosion better?

I'm Gatordev, and I have a problem.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have a Sig M11A1 in FDE, looks great but as far as being more corrosion resistant, I don't know

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So besides the practical side, would you get FDE again? Looks like it's a ~$80 premium or so on GB.

BigRed389

None
I'm struggling to resist the lure of a Sig MK25. It looks like there's two ways to go here. Gunbroker for a FDE version or a vendor (Kentucky Gun Company at the moment) for a black one. Besides just general look/sexiness, I'm not sure the FDE does anything better, but maybe I'm wrong. My two-tone P229 still corrodes on the slide, despite the finish. Anyone have any knowledge if the FDE coating handles corrosion better?

I'm Gatordev, and I have a problem.

It will make you shoot better. Tacticool = confidence. Confidence = success. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I should have known that already. Fail for me.

Seriously, though, the more I Google this, the more info seems to point to the fact that the MK25D (FDE) is cerekoted, which would seem to indicate it would wear well...but then again, the "stock" MK25 is supposed to be corrosion treated...whatever that means. Either way, the description of the gun is both preceded and postceded with "SEALS!!!111!" so it must be legit. I just want a sweet service pistol that I know will work out of the box. And I already have a Glock.

A7Dave

pilot
I should have known that already. Fail for me.

Seriously, though, the more I Google this, the more info seems to point to the fact that the MK25D (FDE) is cerekoted, which would seem to indicate it would wear well...but then again, the "stock" MK25 is supposed to be corrosion treated...whatever that means. Either way, the description of the gun is both preceded and postceded with "SEALS!!!111!" so it must be legit. I just want a sweet service pistol that I know will work out of the box. And I already have a Glock.

So...Did you buy one? I've got gun money in my pocket and I'm considering the M25 or a P229 "Combat". Anyone understand the difference between a P229 and a P226 beyond sight radius? They seem to take the same magazines (15 9mm). I don't know what the attraction is for the P226 when you get a more compact package with the same magazine capacity in the P229.

I like the Mk25 because it has an anchor on it, but other than that, I'm not sure what distinguishes it from any other P226. The "Combat" version has a chrome lined barrel and the SRT - what the Mk25 should have but apparently doesn't.

Anyone shoot both the P226 and the P229 and have comments about the difference, if any?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I did end up getting it. I have both a 229 (Two-tone) and the MK25. The 229 has a SRT in it and it's great, however it does have a lot of holster wear, which is a little disappointing. I'm not worried about it being pretty, but in order to protect the gun for as long as I live, I suspect it will need to be refinished sometime in the next 10 years.

One reason why I liked the MK25 (besides the shared heritage) was the coating, which I hope will last longer. I also wanted a service sized pistol with the Sig ergos to go along with the 229. Basically, I didn't need it, but I wanted it, and I was able to afford it, so why not? I really need to take the thing to a Steel Challenge just to exercise it some more other than just plinking.

I do wish it had a SRT in it, though. I just can't bring myself to spend the $100 plus shipping to send it off to Sig and since it's currently a nightstand gun, I'm not 100% happy with doing the job myself, if for no other reason than liability.

tarjas

Alooo-haaa
None
I just picked up a P226 Combat with threaded barrel after shooting a buddies MK25. Thought I would like the short reach trigger but it pinched the pad of my finger. Replaced it and while I was at it put the SRT kit in. It is AWESOME now! Don't be scared to put in the trigger kit, plenty of good videos on how to and I'm a firm believer you should be able to work on your pistol if needed.. Wouldn't worry about little wear , Sigs are duty pistols, will take a lot more than a scuff to slow them down!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 28