• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATP Multi Engine Changes - Do it now!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Think it would be worth taking a stab at it just in case?
If you realistically think you can have 750 TT by two years from your test date, I would highly recommend it. The truth is that nobody really knows how the rule change is going to ultimately affect the way licenses are given. The comments above are probably spot on. You will get initially hired without a license and then get it via your airline's training program. Once the pool of qualified applicants with the license dries up, that is the route the airlines will be forced to go.
If you still have seven or eight years then don't worry about it too much. A lot is going to change between now and then.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't fail the test. Ie if you are going to do it don't take the test until you are ready. I know. Obvious advice. But that test failure may have to be explained during an interview. Minimize any hurdles you may have to overcome.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Anybody want to share the gouge with me? I'm in ASO school for the next few weeks and can take the test in Eglin or Mobile before heading to Lemoore.

UMichfly

pilot
None
What's the minimum to be eligible to take the ATP? I'm only at 200 hours now, but surely think that I would be over 750 after the next two years.

Honestly, as a jet dude, I seriously doubt you'll be over 750 hours within the next two years. Hours don't come that quickly when they're coming 1.3 at a time. I didn't break 750 until probably 2 years into my fleet tour, and that's with a deployment thrown in the mix. Unless you're one of the lucky (?) guys who knocks out 3+ deployments in your first sea tour, you'll probably be similar.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Honestly, as a jet dude, I seriously doubt you'll be over 750 hours within the next two years. Hours don't come that quickly when they're coming 1.3 at a time. I didn't break 750 until probably 2 years into my fleet tour, and that's with a deployment thrown in the mix. Unless you're one of the lucky (?) guys who knocks out 3+ deployments in your first sea tour, you'll probably be similar.

I was thinking the same. Unless you're in Japan, I don't think the flight hours are going to be as plentiful as they have been. Getting 550 in 2 years is a stretch, even with a deployment in there.

btdunn

So I've been on the fence about knocking the test out because while I'll make the 750TT no problem, I can't seem to get a clear answer on the 250 PIC. My dilemma is this, I have ~400 TT right now, ~80 of which I signed for in 45's and Hornets, but I transitioned to the P8 this year. Now even if I upgrade quickly I will not be able to upgrade to A/C and get the 170 hours in the next 24mo. The question I have been calling around about is this, has anyone short on aircraft commander time been able to use this:

Logging right-seat PIC time
Low-time copilots who need to log more pilot-in-command (PIC) time toward the ATP requirement of 250 hours of PIC time have an option available to them for logging PIC time from the right seat.

FAR 61.51(e) says, in part, that a commercial pilot “may log pilot-in-command flight time for flights … [w]hen the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated,” or “[w]hen the pilot … acts as pilot in command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.”

FAR 61.51(e) also permits logging PIC time from the right seat “[w]hen the pilot performs the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a qualified pilot in command provided (A) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command holds a commercial … pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft being flown, if a class rating is appropriate; (B) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command is undergoing an approved pilot-in-command training program…; (C) The supervising pilot in command holds … (2) An airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; and (D) The supervising pilot in command logs the pilot-in-command training in the pilot’s logbook, certifies the pilot-in-command training in the pilot’s logbook, and attests to the certification with his or her signature, and flight instructor certificate number.”

To claim their log book "First Pilot Time" as PIC time for the FAA? I'm not looking to get out, but if it goes that way I don't want to be the first buy to pay $15K either. Any insights would be great.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Part 61 PIC time is just another legal definition of PIC time. Some corporate outfits actually prefer you define it this way. I am not a lawyer, as you may need one to read the FARs and make a call, but it sounds legit to me.

Bottom line - call the fsdo and ask an examiner who is familiar with both military logging and the ATP requirements. They can give you a straight answer. If he/she wavers or sounds like they are guessing, ask another one. Some of them are too lazy to research the rules.

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
Heard a rumor that you can use 50 hours of sim time toward that 750. Anyone do this or know of someone who has?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Heard a rumor that you can use 50 hours of sim time toward that 750. Anyone do this or know of someone who has?
I believe it's actually more like 100 hours, but yes. I just finished my BE-300 type and ATP check yesterday. It will say restricted until I get to 1500 hours as discussed earlier. I left ACDU with about 1150.

AFUAW

pilot
Got the written test done this weekend. I used Sheppard Air and got a 98%. Not too bad for a few days of cramming. I'm glad I did it in time, but studying for it was a bit of a pain.

On a related topic, does anyone have experience with getting their CFII via the MCI test? The catch is that I'm not an IP per-se (I'm in a VX squadron--never been a VT or FRS instructor). I do have a letter in my NATOPS jacket that says I'm an instrument checker/evaluator/whatever. My reading of the FAA's rules leads me to believe that I should be able to get CFII but not CFI or MEI.