• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Convincing Parents on Lasik

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I'm glad to hear that your case went so well, and thank you for your advice. I'm going to be home for Easter Break in a few days so I hope to be able to talk to her and win her over.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Of course your Mom's opthamologist "friends" aren't fans of a procedure that would put them out of business. They'd rather have you wear Urkel glasses that they've prescribed for the rest of your life.

You do realize that Opthamologists are eye surgeons, also, right?

Dan Balch

Let me know if you end up going out there. If you drop my name at the consultation I get $50. But more importantly if you actually get the surgery I have a referral code that will knock off $250 from your bill!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Thanks man, I will definitely let you know! How's your recovery going, if you don't mind me asking?

Dan Balch

Thanks man, I will definitely let you know! How's your recovery going, if you don't mind me asking?

My recovery, if you can call it that, is going great. A little bit of pain/burning in my eyes on the metro ride back. Went to bed for like 2 hours and when I woke up there was no pain. Since then there has be ZERO pain. As of my last last check-up I am still 20/15 in both eyes (from 20/200). The nighttime halo effect is all but gone. Occasionally I need an eye drop or two, but that's totally normal. I know it's only been a few months but I can completely recommend both the doc and the surgery.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
My recovery, if you can call it that, is going great. A little bit of pain/burning in my eyes on the metro ride back. Went to bed for like 2 hours and when I woke up there was no pain. Since then there has be ZERO pain. As of my last last check-up I am still 20/15 in both eyes (from 20/200). The nighttime halo effect is all but gone. Occasionally I need an eye drop or two, but that's totally normal. I know it's only been a few months but I can completely recommend both the doc and the surgery.

Glad to hear! I'm going to see my ophthalmologist later this summer and get a consult. I think I'm going to try and get it done while I'm hope in Pittsburgh for the summer, but if I do end up getting it done at DC I will definitely head up to Rockville.

speedroller

Rangers
Hoya / Chris,

I'm a student at American and just went through all this. Not sure if you got lasik / still thinking about it but I got lasik the other week at TLC Rockville, and I HIGHLY recommend it. The doc who does the surgery is EXTREMELY good at what he does. He's done it more than like 60,000 times (not a typo) including people like Tiger Woods, Chef Geoff, and lots of government people from the Intel community to State Dept. to Senators. He only does the all laser custom procedures which NAMI prefers. He does Lasik and PRK (usually based on your corneal thickness). They have an office off of Farragut Square so you don't have to do all your check ups out in Rockville, but the surgery is only done in Rockville and Tyson's Corner.

I've worn contacts since 12th grade and I have usually hovered between -1.50 and -2.00 in both eyes. After keeping my contacts out for a while I was 20/200. I am now 20/15. Granted it was only a few weeks ago and they still haven't really stabilized but I'm very happy with the result. My eyes weren't awful, but I wanted to fly and I needed great vision for that.

I didn't really have a lot of problem with my parents, but I also paid for the procedure myself. I'd just be as calm and respectful as possible and just explain why you want it. Probably not super helpful info, but my two cents.

Dan

I am just reading this, but I had PRK done by the same people and at the same location, and Dr. Holzman really know what he is doing. So +1 for a GO!