• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finalizing Application After MEPS

navy2014

Hey,

Will try to keep this simple, but I don't want to describe anything specifically enough to give up anonymity from anyone reading... I've hit a long period of silence or near silence from my OR, and I sent another email too recently to ask again without being aggressive, so I'm asking here. I'm lost regarding what's going on now and what I need to do to finalize my application.

What I've done--all the paper app stuff (APSR, filled out security clearance, LORs, transcripts, ASTB). Signed a bunch of forms at the OR's office. Then I went to MEPS--had one small thing land me a medical hold, the rest was fine. I went and got the small thing taken care of that day. The paperwork from that outside doctor taking care of the small thing eventually made it back to MEPS.

I went to MEPS 5-6 weeks ago. The only thing I've heard since then is that MEPS sent my paperwork back to my OR (which I'm assuming means that they took the outside doctor's word for it about the small med hold, and they're in support of me being physically qualified). Despite a long intro, my question is really just this--what happens after MEPS / what do I need to do after MEPS before my application is finalized and ready to be submitted when a board opens?

Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

Sent back to your OR could mean a few things, it could mean they finished your physical and it is ready for N3M, or it could mean they want additional info, or it could mean they PDQ'd you, in the first and last case it would go to N3M, the middle would need info from you.

In any case your OR should be keeping you in the loop, what I would email and ask is this "Has my physical from MEPS been sent to N3M and if so has N3M given me a PQ letter".

navy2014

Thanks for focusing me in on the information that I should be looking for right now. However, I'm not sure that email would go over well right now for a couple of reasons. The primary one is that I just sent an email last week asking for an update about whether I should be doing anything or not (aka please tell me what is going, aka perfect opportunity to volunteer the information that my physical has been sent to N3M and I have been PQ'd), and I didn't get a response. I also asked the same question 3-4 weeks ago in a reply to the last email I received from my OR, and didn't get a reply that time either. In short, I should have asked here before sending the email last week, but it would probably be pretty aggressive at this point.

FWIW, I'm not worried that I've been PDQ'd given that the only thing they wouldn't approve me for on that day wasn't even a problem, it was just something very small that I needed done before a pretty routine box on the physical could be checked. That's why I think it's more likely that "MEPS sent your paperwork back" meant "they finished your physical and it's ready for N3M." However, I was interested to know whether I would have to go back to MEPS or not, so that is why I asked these questions 3-4 weeks ago as I indicated above. I imagine that if I was supposed to go back, my OR would have given me a date by now--it only took a week and a half to get my first MEPS date.

Main question, though, is this--so the step after a completed MEPS physical is that they send it back to OR, and OR sends it to N3M for physical qualification. Is my application done at that point, or is there more to be done?

Thanks.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Main question, though, is this--so the step after a completed MEPS physical is that they send it back to OR, and OR sends it to N3M for physical qualification. Is my application done at that point, or is there more to be done?

Thanks.

If everything else has been done that I would say yes.

navy2014

Thanks. Basically I feel like I've been really annoying to my OR, who is a perfectly nice person, and I would like to not be so annoying--therefore, because it isn't nearly as important to my application that people here don't think I'm annoying, I thought I would ask here instead because I really don't want to miss another board.

Not sure what else could be left--I was mainly just curious / hoping that there wasn't anything new that I haven't worked on yet. Of the stuff I've worked on, I haven't heard anything about my NASIS / security clearance app. I did get my fingerprints taken at MEPS for that purpose. Does that need to be approved before application is done?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks. Basically I feel like I've been really annoying to my OR, who is a perfectly nice person, and I would like to not be so annoying--therefore, because it isn't nearly as important to my application that people here don't think I'm annoying, I thought I would ask here instead because I really don't want to miss another board.

Not sure what else could be left--I was mainly just curious / hoping that there wasn't anything new that I haven't worked on yet. Of the stuff I've worked on, I haven't heard anything about my NASIS / security clearance app. I did get my fingerprints taken at MEPS for that purpose. Does that need to be approved before application is done?

Often final signature pages and fingerprint cards aren't submitted until after a pro Y is rec'd, what gets me is I would give my applicants updates, even if it was an email saying "your application is in routing at the NRD" or "your application is at NRC awaiting the board to meet"

navy2014

Thanks. It's not out of character for my OR to not respond to an email asking for a status update until something worth updating on has actually happened. That has its pros and cons, obviously, but it has worked for us so far because I've been pretty patient and I understand that whether an OR responds to me or not about outside processes (like MEPS and N3M) doesn't affect the speed at which my application will be ready. This time, though, it's been so long that I figured something would have happened worth mentioning. As long as this is the last step, though, I can live with waiting a while more before calling.

navy2014

OR finally contacted me with some information. OR's response (in full) after checking on my application was that my application "is on the Program Manager's desk in Millington awaiting the next board." This basically left me with more questions than I had before, and I haven't gotten an answer for a week or so on those yet. These are procedural questions not specific to me, so I thought I'd ask here (of course, no one can answer why it wasn't ready for the board in March since I haven't done anything since February, but the past is the past)--

1. This has to mean that I was PQ'd right? I have no reason to expect that I wouldn't have been, but I asked explicitly and was under the impression that there was some kind of official form that declares it, so it seems like the kind of thing that would have been answerable.

2. I guess there's nothing official that I needed to sign after MEPS, then? And the application will be submitted automatically if it's at this stage?

3. I never actually told my OR what communities I wanted to put as 1, 2, and 3 on the application... could it really have been submitted without that information? OR probably knew enough to approximate what I would put... but in my response where I asked this question, I gave the run down of 1-3... how easy is it to change?

4. How could my application have been submitted without OR knowing? Is it just that the app is submitted when it goes through processing after all the pieces are there, and nothing else is required? (Again, like in question 3, how could all the pieces have been there if I hadn't picked the communities I was applying for officially).

Incidentally, I might be using "submitted" incorrectly here. I can't tell if "submitted package" in the signature format I stole from someone else means that the application is in TN waiting to be given to a board, or whether it means that it has actually been given to a board (in which case, I can't imagine I would know the date of that).

Thanks.

Surf

pilot
OR finally contacted me with some information. OR's response (in full) after checking on my application was that my application "is on the Program Manager's desk in Millington awaiting the next board." This basically left me with more questions than I had before, and I haven't gotten an answer for a week or so on those yet. These are procedural questions not specific to me, so I thought I'd ask here (of course, no one can answer why it wasn't ready for the board in March since I haven't done anything since February, but the past is the past)--

1. This has to mean that I was PQ'd right? I have no reason to expect that I wouldn't have been, but I asked explicitly and was under the impression that there was some kind of official form that declares it, so it seems like the kind of thing that would have been answerable.

2. I guess there's nothing official that I needed to sign after MEPS, then? And the application will be submitted automatically if it's at this stage?

3. I never actually told my OR what communities I wanted to put as 1, 2, and 3 on the application... could it really have been submitted without that information? OR probably knew enough to approximate what I would put... but in my response where I asked this question, I gave the run down of 1-3... how easy is it to change?

4. How could my application have been submitted without OR knowing? Is it just that the app is submitted when it goes through processing after all the pieces are there, and nothing else is required? (Again, like in question 3, how could all the pieces have been there if I hadn't picked the communities I was applying for officially).

Incidentally, I might be using "submitted" incorrectly here. I can't tell if "submitted package" in the signature format I stole from someone else means that the application is in TN waiting to be given to a board, or whether it means that it has actually been given to a board (in which case, I can't imagine I would know the date of that).

Thanks.
To point three, you must have put down a community preference order on the APSR since you said you completed that form. It would not have not been accepted in the QC stage otherwise, unless you left it blank, then your OR may have filled it in for you based on your communications with him/her although they should have asked/told you. I too had a communication problem with my first OR, Airwarriors filled that void (thankfully for me). If your kit is awaiting a board then it means you have nothing left to do at this point, until after a board has convened. Good luck!

navy2014

Thanks for the recent answers. I have received some updates in the last week from my NRD office that have answered most of the questions I had here.

If anyone's interested, they received my N3M letter, and the communities my OR put were SWO, Supply and Intel, all of which have my package but haven't met yet.

cg007

As mentioned...you would have had to write down your communities and double checked them at MEPS. They could have been filled out for you beforehand...my form had me down for Navy AND Air Force. I had to scratch that out and initial. Nothing against Air Force.

My kit is also at the Program Manager level for PAO reserve direct commission...waiting now til October.