• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flew over NAS Whiting Field yesterday (15APR14)...have question.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Howdy,

We flew over NAS Whiting Field yesterday about 1800 local time at 6,000' MSL enroute from ATL to PNS...GREAT VIEW...anyway, the Captain (former P-3 driver/former VT-2 IP) and I noticed several light colored structures on the flight line of North Field. They look like (temporary?) hangars. They were not there when he and I were at Whiting in the 1980's. Question: What are they? If they are some super-secret-squirrel gig and it can't be disclosed, I understand.

Collin

croakerfish

pilot
They were supposed to be covers for the T-6s like the ones at NAS Pensacola. The guys in the tower claimed they blocked the view of the taxiways so they only put a few of them up. I heard it was political, and they were just angling for a new, taller tower like South Field.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sure. What's the super secret squirrel answer?!?! Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
They are actually covering up the holes we are secretly digging to be able to attack North Korea! DAMN, not a secret anymore!

Now that's pretty dang funny! :D

Also, your avatar pic combined with your "Get a brace!" quotation is pretty dang funny too! The first time I saw that avatar pic and that quotation at AWs, I pretty much fell off my chair laughing...heck, I still laugh about it...GOOD TIMES! :D

Is that avatar pic a pic of you at the USNA or OCS?

Collin

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
It is indeed me as a Plebe. I wasn't that great of a midshipman (come to think of it I wasn't that great of a sailor when I was enlisted either...). I had a lot of firs tie friends as a plebe, an O-6 sponsor who wanted me to drive his car back to the yard on Sundays, and already knew "how to play the game" so I sorta had too much fun!

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Got it, ssnspoon. BTW, I wasn't that great of an AOC. Our USMC DI absolutely hated me...I was constantly dropping my rifle (not intentionally), screwing up marching drills (not intentionally), failing inspections (not intentionally)...junk like that. I graduated LAST in my AOCS class (41-86) in MILITARY...but graduated FIRST in PHYSICAL TRAINING...which also really torqued our DI. I had more than TWICE the number of demerits than the next best demerit monger in the class...and they attempted to give me the boot as a result. Luckily, they realized I was just a MILITARY rock but was really giving it 110% to succeed...so I was allowed to stay. GOOD TIMES! :D

Last edited:

croakerfish

pilot
Got it, ssnspoon. BTW, I wasn't that great of an AOC. Our USMC DI absolutely hated me...I was constantly dropping my rifle (not intentionally), screwing up marching drills (not intentionally), failing inspections (not intentionally)...junk like that. I graduated LAST in my AOCS class (41-86) in MILITARY...but graduated FIRST in PHYSICAL TRAINING...which also really torqued our DI. I had more than TWICE the number of demerits than the next best demerit monger in the class...and they attempted to give me the boot as a result. Luckily, they realized I was just a MILITARY rock but was really giving it 110% to succeed...so I was allowed to stay. GOOD TIMES! :D

I too was a bullet sponge for my class.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I find it interesting that, in my experience, the guys who were the biggest eff-ups in OCS, Pre-flight, etc. the lowest grades, most demerits, military misfits, out of step, sloppy uniforms, blown inspections (who made it through)... almost inevitably turned into outstanding aviators from liftoff to touchdown.;)

Jim K. my favorite wingman ever, a great guy but on the ground, totally dorked... wrinkled uniform, shoes shined w/ a brick, always late for quarters/watch, irish pennants ahangin', yadda yadda, every squadron has one. But once in the air, unsurpassed for sheer stick/headwork. When I got bagged, from behind me in his bomb run, he immediately was back on my wing assessing damage, giving encouragement and recommendations. Although under continuous heavy fire himself, he stuck with me, told me when to eject, then remained overhead giving steers to the helo pilot who had no visual on me, until my pickup before heading back to 'das boot' low state. Sloppy on the ground... maybe, but he was instrumental in saving my life.:eek:

I wrote my tribute to Jim upon his passing last year, in the MEMORIAL FORUM, thread titled LT Jim H. "K-12" Knollmueller, USNR:(
BzB

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
I find it interesting that, in my experience, the guys who were the biggest eff-ups in OCS, Pre-flight, etc. the lowest grades, most demerits, military misfits, out of step, sloppy uniforms, blown inspections (who made it through)... almost inevitably turned into outstanding aviators from liftoff to touchdown.;)

Jim K. my favorite wingman ever, a great guy but on the ground, totally dorked... wrinkled uniform, shoes shined w/ a brick, always late for quarters/watch, irish pennants ahangin', yadda yadda, every squadron has one. But once in the air, unsurpassed for sheer stick/headwork. When I got bagged, from behind me in his bomb run, he immediately was back on my wing assessing damage, giving encouragement and recommendations. Although under continuous heavy fire himself, he stuck with me, told me when to eject, then remained overhead giving steers to the helo pilot who had no visual on me, until my pickup before heading back to 'das boot' low state. Sloppy on the ground... maybe, but he was instrumental in saving my life.:eek:

I wrote my tribute to Jim upon his passing last year, in the MEMORIAL FORUM, thread titled LT Jim H. "K-12" Knollmueller, USNR:(
BzB

BzB - I think I know that guy, only he was a Marine. IP in the rag, call sign 'soup'. He was as squared away as a soup sandwich.