• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATP Multi Engine Changes - Do it now!

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
BLUF: Take the Multi Engine ATP written before July 31st.

The last of the major changes to the ATP requirements will happen this year and if you are close to getting the multi-engine ATP, now is probably the time to do it. After July 31st, before you take the Multi-Engine ATP written, you must sit through a 30 hour class and get 10 hours of instruction in Level C or D sims taught by a ATP with 2 years of Part 121 line experience. No one has certified one of these classes yet but estimates for the cost are around $15k.

If you take the written now, you have 24 months to take the practical.

Nobody knows how this will really shake out. Maybe the airlines will pay for it as part of your initial training or maybe the won't. Its tough to say.

This is the best website I found to describe the changes.
http://www.avweb.com/news/features/The-New-ATPA-Brief-Window-Before-the-Sky-Falls221453-1.html

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Agree with Hokie. If you will have 750 total hours in the next two years and even think you may fly post Navy, you are a fool not to take the exam. It is $150 to take the exam and $75 for the Sheppard Air gouge. You can take the exam for free on a few military installations, but that is a rarity these days. After that, as long as you took it prior to July 31, 2014, have 750 total hours and meet the other current ATP requirements, you can take only the practical checkride and be issued a license within 2 years of the exam.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it is going to become part of the initial training track at a lot of airlines, but I wouldn't want to leave that to chance and anyone who has one will have an automatic leg up on those who don't.
If you would have asked me two years ago if I was going to fly for the airlines, I would have said definitely not. Now, with hiring cranking up, I am all in on an airline career. It has taken me the better part of a year to jump through all the hoops that I need to get all my licenses and fly on the outside. The sooner you start the better.

Fins Out

I was a big fan of the Sheppard Air program studying for the ATP written. I followed it up with a 2 week course (1 week of ground school and 1 week of sims) to get my 737 type rating. The oral exam and checkride also gave me an unrestricted ATP certificate. I used my GI bill which burned about 10 months of eligibility.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Can I take the written even though I don't have any multi engine time now and get my minimum multi time later?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can I take the written even though I don't have any multi engine time now and get my minimum multi time later?

Yes. As long as you get the minimum of 750 hours before you take the practical (and less than 2 years after the written). That gets you the military restricted ATP. Once you get 1500 hours, you can upgrade to the standard, no restrictions ATP (no extra work required). The gouge site listed above has lots of info. So does the ATP thread on Baseops.net

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Also, a few things:

Sheppard Air gouge is THE TEST. It is $75, but is guaranteed to get you a 90 (70 is passing) or your money back. Well worth the money.
The test is given free on a few Air Force and Coast Guard facilities. Here in OKC, it is at the Air Force Instrument School at KOKC. You can easily do it on an out/in or CCX stop. I think they also give it at Eglin.
3710 allows a FAA examiner to come aboard Navy aircraft for the purpose of giving checkrides. This is a common occurrence at VT multi and VR squadrons. I have seen it happen in VQ as well.

You can use the above formula if you are a cheap bastard and turn the whole process into a $500-600 deal vs. going to all ATPs flight school and paying several thousand for a checkride in a piper Seminole.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The general requirements for Multi Engine ATP are:
1500 hours (waived down to 750 for a restricted ATP with the military)
500 hours Cross country
250 hours PIC in airplanes (with some break down for night and cross country)
50 hours in multi engine

Fallonflyr

pilot
If you meet the requirements to take the ATP written, doing it now will save you the PIA of having to do it when you go thru initial training later on. If you do not meet the requirements now, don't stress. All the airlines will be looking for people who meet the ATP requirements. Having an actual ATP ticket will not be needed, you will get that in training.

I truly believe that a year or two from now it will not be uncommon for fighter guys with less than 1000 hours to be hired if they meet the 750 threshold. Back in the late 90's plenty of guys went to the majors with only about 1100-1200 hours in fighters.

At least 80-90% of the FO's I fly with were prior military, I don't see that changing any time soon.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
What's the minimum to be eligible to take the ATP? I'm only at 200 hours now, but surely think that I would be over 750 after the next two years.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Isn't it a requirement that the examiner is rated in the aircraft that the practical is completed in? I thought that was the case when I looked into it for the P3. The only examiner I could find that had a L188 was on the west coast. The two day all ATP Seminole program got the job done regardless. Good luck to you all. Shepard gouge is the best. Used it for both the ATP and MCI writtens.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Isn't it a requirement that the examiner is rated in the aircraft that the practical is completed in? I thought that was the case when I looked into it for the P3. The only examiner I could find that had a L188 was on the west coast. The two day all ATP Seminole program got the job done regardless. Good luck to you all. Shepard gouge is the best. Used it for both the ATP and MCI writtens.
You may be correct. Lots of 737/King Air/C-9 guys around for sure. Still quite a few 707 guys too. Don't know about C-130 or P-3.
Studying now for the MCI written :mad: