• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Service Commitment Question

Digits2006

Hi, I am looking into joining the Navy Reserves. The position I am looking at has this under the service obligation section:
Selectees would incur an eight-year ready reserve obligation and a three-year selected reserve (SELRES) obligation.

Just to be clear: is that a total of 8 year commitment with 3 years SELRES and 5 years on IRR or a three year SELRES and 8 years IRR?

Thanks for your help.

m5h9

Pretty sure its the former. By law, 8 years total is the required commitment for all enlisting and commissioning, same as active duty.

Digits2006

That's not what I meant. When I first was looking into joining, I thought I would be signing up to do 8 years of drilling every weekend. And that was totally okay with me. So finding out more about SELRES and IRR is a little confusing. That's why I am asking.

What's the difference between deployment between SELRES and IRR? I would have thought it was the same, but I am reading it may be different.

das

Contributor
The "minimum" commitment is 3 years SELRES and 5 years IRR...though I believe that anyone joining who goes to the IRR after 3 years is doing themselves and the Navy a disservice.

The difference is this: SELRES is actively drilling, IRR puts you in a status where you are not drilling but "could" be recalled and mobilized. But chances are, you're not going to be as IRR. There are a number of reasons someone might go IRR, but you are not really an active reservist in that capacity. You can still accrue points and even be promoted while IRR, but you are not really doing the Navy any good by being in IRR status, other than to serve as a ready-MOB pool in case shit really hits the fan. And as for the IDC, after 3 years you are barely qualed and finally barely able to function as a JO...so 3 years is just when you might start becoming a bit more useful.

Think of IRR as the first step on your way out of the Navy...again, yes, there are many reasons someone may go IRR (family issues, work issues, disillusionment with the Navy bureaucracy, time to move on, etc.) but even thinking about getting a DCO slot and going IRR after 3 years means you have contributed nothing positive to yourself or the Navy, in my personal view. Plan on serving your 8 year commitment as SELRES, with the option of knowing you "could" go IRR if circumstances really pushed you in that direction.

ben4prez

pilot
even thinking about getting a DCO slot and going IRR after 3 years means you have contributed nothing positive to yourself or the Navy, in my personal view. Plan on serving your 8 year commitment as SELRES, with the option of knowing you "could" go IRR if circumstances really pushed you in that direction.

I say bollox...if you sign up and do the bare minimum, you've done more for your country than the VAST majority of Amerian citizens. You want to do your contracted three years, then step aside to the IRR? Hats off to you for serving your country, thanks for doing what you say you would, and best wishes on the outside -- as a fellow vet, give me a call if you ever need help with anything.

Service is service. If you raise your right hand in a time of war, or even otherwise, and fulfill your committment, however "small," I commend you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I say bollox...if you sign up and do the bare minimum, you've done more for your country than the VAST majority of Amerian citizens. You want to do your contracted three years, then step aside to the IRR? Hats off to you for serving your country, thanks for doing what you say you would, and best wishes on the outside -- as a fellow vet, give me a call if you ever need help with anything.

Service is service. If you raise your right hand in a time of war, or even otherwise, and fulfill your committment, however "small," I commend you.

I applaud your sentiment, but have you dealt with some of those "bare minimum" people? After three years, many of those people have done a total of 108 days of duty out of 1095 days and have zero quals to help any unit remotely operational.

It's a fine balance. I was talking with my neighbor this weekend and he said he got 3 year AD orders (some time ago). He certainly has done more than most Americans, but I balance that with those in the Reserves that are an expert in finding the Exchange and getting their benefits, but not much else.

I don't think the OP is being unreasonable trying to figure out what he's in for.

To the OP, google bupersinst 1001.39 and take a look through it. It might be above your head (much of it's above mine, and I signed on 18 years ago!), but most of the answers are there too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I gotcha. Still, didn't want my observation to be taken as second-guessing the OP's question.

subreservist

I applaud your sentiment, but have you dealt with some of those "bare minimum" people? After three years, many of those people have done a total of 108 days of duty out of 1095 days and have zero quals to help any unit remotely operational.

It's a fine balance. I was talking with my neighbor this weekend and he said he got 3 year AD orders (some time ago). He certainly has done more than most Americans, but I balance that with those in the Reserves that are an expert in finding the Exchange and getting their benefits, but not much else.

LOL...this is funny! I get what you're sayin', though...and I know a few folks that get miffed about that or other similar things/perceptions. But someone has done the math and determined that a Reserve force is needed. Just like any insurance policy, the value is there when it's time to collect. So even if all an untrained reservist did was get tax free shopping at the exchange or whatever benefit, if (and when) it hits the fan, the Navy gets above and beyond back from what they put in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
LOL...this is funny! I get what you're sayin', though...and I know a few folks that get miffed about that or other similar things/perceptions. But someone has done the math and determined that a Reserve force is needed. Just like any insurance policy, the value is there when it's time to collect. So even if all an untrained reservist did was get tax free shopping at the exchange or whatever benefit, if (and when) it hits the fan, the Navy gets above and beyond back from what they put in.

A strategic view of the force. That works great for someone attached to a Prarie unit and policies get blindly followed. For a hardware unit, especially for one that regularly deploys, it's a huge hinderance. It also doesn't benefit the member, as they're not going to get the Evals to keep them competitive.

We are not a strategic force anymore and can't afford to strictly act like one across the whole force. Everyone all the way up to ADM Braun knows this, but trying to get policy changed is like trying to push a super-tanker with a rowboat. Movement is made, it's just obscenely slow.