• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

27 April 2014

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
What did you bring with you to OTCN? Obviously, what is on the OCS website, but did you grab anything else? How were the sleeping quarters? Anything about the overall experience you would focus on more if you had to do it all over again?
I brought the basics but nice basics. I bought nice quality undies and T shirts as well as extra PT gear (prior). The first week you smell pretty bad and sometimes your clothes come back moist so having extra was nice. The sleeping quarters are actually really good in my opinion, no resort but for military it is great. You have two people per room and are connected to another room making a suite. In between the two rooms are two showers which are shared. Everything is new and clean for the most part. A lot of people say to bring two pairs of shoes, I brought one used pair and did fine. Really I would not have done anything differently. I prepared pretty well and did not think it was tough. So my advice....study the gouge pack, prepare physically, know its a game and all part of the process, the first week does not represent OCS as a whole. If you get there and think about DORing, think hard about why you're there and realize its only 12 weeks.

TECle

SWO bound, Class 1414
I brought the basics but nice basics. I bought nice quality undies and T shirts as well as extra PT gear (prior). The first week you smell pretty bad and sometimes your clothes come back moist so having extra was nice. The sleeping quarters are actually really good in my opinion, no resort but for military it is great. You have two people per room and are connected to another room making a suite. In between the two rooms are two showers which are shared. Everything is new and clean for the most part. A lot of people say to bring two pairs of shoes, I brought one used pair and did fine. Really I would not have done anything differently. I prepared pretty well and did not think it was tough. So my advice....study the gouge pack, prepare physically, know its a game and all part of the process, the first week does not represent OCS as a whole. If you get there and think about DORing, think hard about why you're there and realize its only 12 weeks.

Some good info JG, thanks. Curious, did you know the entire gouge front to back going in? Or were you pretty well off on most of it and familiar at the least to the rest?

I've only had about 3 weeks to actually prepare for it and I'm doing pretty well I believe. You seem to have a similar mindset as me, so curious how it was for you. Also, how were you pT wise reporting to OCS?

SH4D0W

TECIe,

*Just my $0.02*
I've been studying the gouge for just about a year. FLASH CARDS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND HERE! My only issue is I checked up on the OCS website to look at the gouge again and I noticed there were subtle changes made to the gouge and some things were omitted entirely. Examples:

The Tactical Missions have been broken into Tactical and Secondary now.
The Chain of Command doesn't include the Vice-POTUS now (mayhaps a HUGE typo?)
The Navy Hymn was added to the gouge.
The Star Spangled Banner was added to the gouge.
Chow Hall and Entry/Exit Procedures have been removed from the gouge.

This new gouge was updated in Dec of 2013. The gouge I had was from before that. So, it's safe to go with the "latest and greatest" version of the Navy OCS gouge. I just find it strange that they omitted Chow Hall and Entry/Exit Procedures...guess they figure you'll learn them at Newport fast enough. Also, my OR told me to actually - and I laugh at this - not worry about studying the gouge because it won't matter once you're there. Yeaaaaah...I'm just gonna ignore that gem of wisdom...

SH4D0W

Cheers! Good to know.
So, obviously you have/had access to the Internet while you are/were there. Is this privilege earned or are you given a small window of time each week to get online and check whatever needs checking? Also, safe to assume that any color of shoes/underwear/shirts you bring are all to be white or Navy colors? My OR was not able to tell me much about what to bring to OCS as he was an Academy grad (his words, not mine). Lastly and most critically, did you bring copies of all your paperwork or trust in your OR to get all the necessary paperwork to OTCN before your arrival? I'm thinking about bringing copies of everything, but at the same time, if he sent them to OTCN, one would hope they arrived...

Thoughts? Also, HUGE CONGRATS on completing OCS!

BleedGreen

pilot
TECIe,

*Just my $0.02*
I've been studying the gouge for just about a year. FLASH CARDS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND HERE! My only issue is I checked up on the OCS website to look at the gouge again and I noticed there were subtle changes made to the gouge and some things were omitted entirely. Examples:

The Tactical Missions have been broken into Tactical and Secondary now.
The Chain of Command doesn't include the Vice-POTUS now (mayhaps a HUGE typo?)
The Navy Hymn was added to the gouge.
The Star Spangled Banner was added to the gouge.
Chow Hall and Entry/Exit Procedures have been removed from the gouge.

This new gouge was updated in Dec of 2013. The gouge I had was from before that. So, it's safe to go with the "latest and greatest" version of the Navy OCS gouge. I just find it strange that they omitted Chow Hall and Entry/Exit Procedures...guess they figure you'll learn them at Newport fast enough. Also, my OR told me to actually - and I laugh at this - not worry about studying the gouge because it won't matter once you're there. Yeaaaaah...I'm just gonna ignore that gem of wisdom...

I applaud your enthusiasm and effort in studying for about a year but take a moment to enjoy your last days as a free civilian for a long time. OCS is challenging but don't over think this stuff. Many candidates have gone through without studying beforehand and still commissioned.

The parts of the gouge you should focus on before showing up to OCS are the articles of the code of conduct, Chain of command, general orders of a sentry, Navy & Marine Corps rank structure, and the service songs. Don't worry about the rest of the gouge just yet.

TECle

SWO bound, Class 1414
TECIe,
Also, my OR told me to actually - and I laugh at this - not worry about studying the gouge because it won't matter once you're there. Yeaaaaah...I'm just gonna ignore that gem of wisdom...

That's awesome. Quite a gem you have there, thanks for sharing! I'll disregard my studying.

But really, that's good stuff. Luckily, my OR has provided great help and info, so he showed me the updated study materials. Wish I had a year to study! Going on week two of studying now haha.

Spookcumber

I applaud your enthusiasm and effort in studying for about a year but take a moment to enjoy your last days as a free civilian for a long time. OCS is challenging but don't over think this stuff. Many candidates have gone through without studying beforehand and still commissioned.

The parts of the gouge you should focus on before showing up to OCS are the articles of the code of conduct, Chain of command, general orders of a sentry, Navy & Marine Corps rank structure, and the service songs. Don't worry about the rest of the gouge just yet.

I keep hearing and seeing this but I'm still freaking out about not being able to get down like, the verbage for the 15 leadership traits perfectly and all the insignias and warfare stuff :(

jetullis6

Been there done that
I keep hearing and seeing this but I'm still freaking out about not being able to get down like, the verbage for the 15 leadership traits perfectly and all the insignias and warfare stuff :(
A friend of mine is in OCS right now and said you don't need to worry about the leadership traits until week 6.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Definitely focus on the general orders, code of conduct, rank and recognition, chain of command, and service songs. A lot of staff has started asking the Navy Hymn cause no one knows it, so either learn it or be prepared to take it as a hit for inspection.

I by no means am an advocate of learning only these however. I say learn it all, if you have the time put in the effort to learn it. If you are looking to do the minimum learn what the leadership traits are, be able to define your favorite and why it is your facorite. Learn your warfare insignia and while at OCS learn your room mates.

As a prior I was asked what mine were, EXW and small craft pin, which are not in the gouge or OCR. For ORLP I wasn't asked much from the gouge since I was a prior. I was asked a lot of odd ball questions such as "who is the commander of a cruiser?" "Who does he report to in a carrier strike group?", "what is the rotation speed of an E2 Hawk eye's rotodome?"

These questions are more designed to test you bearing and response cause you are expected to know the rest.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot

Agreed. Also its easy to memorize everything in your head, it's a different ball game when you are expected to be verbatim and ballistic with an RDC or Marine DI if your face making you do push-ups.

jetullis6

Been there done that
Definitely focus on the general orders, code of conduct, rank and recognition, chain of command, and service songs. A lot of staff has started asking the Navy Hymn cause no one knows it, so either learn it or be prepared to take it as a hit for inspection.

I by no means am an advocate of learning only these however. I say learn it all, if you have the time put in the effort to learn it. If you are looking to do the minimum learn what the leadership traits are, be able to define your favorite and why it is your facorite. Learn your warfare insignia and while at OCS learn your room mates.

As a prior I was asked what mine were, EXW and small craft pin, which are not in the gouge or OCR. For ORLP I wasn't asked much from the gouge since I was a prior. I was asked a lot of odd ball questions such as "who is the commander of a cruiser?" "Who does he report to in a carrier strike group?", "what is the rotation speed of an E2 Hawk eye's rotodome?"

These questions are more designed to test you bearing and response cause you are expected to know the rest.
Great post man I avoided the navy hymn on my gouge.. Looks like I will be singing that in the shower as well. Only 16 more days until I class up.

TECle

SWO bound, Class 1414
Hahah, yeah I sing these songs all day. Even got my brothers singing them too. I especially enjoy screaming them in the concert hall, aka the shower

SH4D0W

So, the date is fast approaching and I can't get a clear answer from my OR. The OCS Required Paperwork says we only need to bring:
6 pairs of underwear
Shaving gear with blade replacements
Toothbrush/paste and floss
Deodorant
Soap/Shampoo
Nail Clippers
Glasses with strap (if applicable)
Contacts (if applicable)
Running Shoes
Alarm Clock/cell phone with charger/wristwatch/wallet/checkbook/bank card

Outside of the above items, do we need to bring anything else? Are we issued the rest or purchase any additional needs (t-shirts/socks/etc)? Any harm in bringing extra and just having it placed in storage? Currently packing and getting together.

--
Cheers.