• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS to Pilot Slot

Hey all - I'd like to start by expressing how badass I think this site is. I discovered it just a few days ago after deciding that I will be entering the USMC OCS program following my graduation at the end of the upcoming semester, which I will now elaborate on.

To give a little background: I am currently an undergraduate economics student at a private university in Texas with a GPA of ~3.0. I have above-average standardized test scores, have work experience in various fields, and have held leadership positions on campus. I have always wanted to go Marines, and was 1 or 2 signatures away after high school, but decided that a college education (where NROTC was unfortunately not available) was more important at the time. I now have an escalated interest in enrolling in 2014 OCS with the intent to go through flight school after TBS in order to compete for an F18 pilot slot (which I hear are now being replaced by VSTOL F35's...?).

My question is: given my background and goals, is the best path for me to take to accomplish this? I have heard mixed things about AF, and I like the idea of being an Marine infantryman in addition to a pilot... so there's that... Also, given the ever-changing demand of Marine jet pilots, how competitive is the current field? Any information on my projected path, including ASTB prep info etc etc, would be much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to give info relevant to this process, and hopefully one day I will see yall up there.

Make sure you go in with this mindset, "I want to LEAD Marines First, Fly second." There are several things that will be out of your control as far as flying goes. So you need to be able to identify the things you can control, and perfect them. The rest is in God's hands.